Is Kickboxer (Yuen Biao) and Martial Arts Master Wong Fei Hung worth getting?

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Like the title said.... im not the biggest fan of 90's new wave wire fu, but the trailers for these looks pretty decent. Think I've seen Kickboxer way back in the VHS days, but I don't remember much.

Is the fight choreo at least semi grounded?

The Soul Blade/Dragon DVD version of MAMWFH looks to be best version, but what about Kickboxer... Vengeance? HK dvd?

Oh, and what about OUATIC 4 and 5... worth it? best versions?

Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I can only speak to Yuen Biao's Kickboxer and that's to say......GET IT! The fights are very grounded and Yuen Wah is the villain for the end fight. It's got some pretty good choreography in it, though there's a little wire-work in places, but it's nothing like what you find in the OUATIC franchise. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all, bro.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Best version? there's the Vengeance version which I think is only english dub, and then there's the HK dvd... in terms of pic quality, aspect ratio etc.?

ShaOW!linDude

Not sure about that. I'm not the best when it come to versions. What I have is put out by World Video & Supply. It's got a running time of 95 minutes, it's in Chinese with English subs, and it's widescreen.

This link to this copy is the same cover of the dvd I have. But the running time is only 89 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Time-China-Kickboxer/dp/B000767R1M/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1347040058&sr=1-2&keywords=yuen+biao+kickboxer

None of that probably helps you though.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I thought that was the Vengeance Video version.... I see the yellow logo.... puzzling.

Oh well, maybe someone more knowledgable than us will chime in.

I love Kickboxer. Haven't seen it in a while but it is a must own and at the best quality possible! The end fight alone is worth it :) I, myself, have the World Video & Supply dvd...which looks like this....

kickboxer-yuen-biao-dvd-cover-art.jpg

As far as I know, it is letterboxed and I believe it is a transfer from the laserdisc. All of the WV&S dvds I have are LD transfers...I'd have to put it in to actually confirm it, but I'm pretty positive.

There is a Panorama HK dvd that was released a couple years ago that I have been meaning to get but I don't know the quality of that. Surely tho it has to be better than the WV&S version right?

Panorama dvd of Kickboxer at dddhouse

I honestly cant remember a thing about OUATIC 4. I have the dvd but I cant remember anything about it. Here is what the dvd cover looks like...cant remember the distributor...would have to check when I get home. It's the only dvd that I am aware of.

511J120A82L.jpg

As far as OUATIC 5 goes, I don't know of any dvd. I have the laserdisc for it. I haven't watched it yet but have skimmed through it and it looks good. It's suppose to have some interesting choreography/gun fights in it.

I have the HK Panorama DVD. It's letterboxed, very grainy, washed out and the subtitles are awful. I can provide some caps, if you'd like?

Liked kickboxer i`m sure mine is called OUATIC 6 tho.

OUATIC 4 is ok the prison fight was very good if i remember correctly.

OUATIC 5 was a lot better imo.

i`m sure mine are bootlegs and remember OUATIC 4 had giant subtitles.

Liked kickboxer i`m sure mine is called OUATIC 6 tho.

OUATIC 4 is ok the prison fight was very good if i remember correctly.

OUATIC 5 was a lot better imo.

i`m sure mine are bootlegs and remember OUATIC 4 had giant subtitles.

I thought OUATIC4 was good, but 5 was terrible for me.

Both films are worth tracking down, TWC. I also have the HK Panorama DVD of KICKBOXER. Yes, print is pretty washed out with colour bleeding and general hazyness (looks like an LD rip), but its still a step up if you’re accustomed to Vengenace / Rarescope standards, I’d say. At least its wide-screen with easily readable, properly timed optional subs that are actually not too bad at all (at least not by 90s HK standards).

Since the UK Dragon DVD of MARTIAL ARTS MASTER WONG FEI HONG is dubbed the only way to go would be the Malaysian Dragon Jester DVD. PQ is actually decent with a discernibly sharper image than KICKBOXER. Unfortunately its badly cropped to, if I remember correctly, 1,33:1. Still to me its simply the only option to see this film because it offers Canto and Mandarin audio plus optional English subs. These are pretty decent and easy to follow.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks for your input, Sheng. Damn, being a HK movie collector is more often than not a case of plague or cholera...... I wonder if fans of more mainstream genres know how good they have it..... probably not...

Secret Executioner

WOW, the picture quality is okay (by me) but those subtitles are REALLY bad... :squigglemouth:

Thanks for your input, Sheng. Damn, being a HK movie collector is more often than not a case of plague or cholera...... I wonder if fans of more mainstream genres know how good they have it..... probably not...

I enjoy Kaiju Eiga too... in a country where almost no Godzilla movie (except the US one) got a proper DVD release and the few Japanese ones that were released are now very out of print and very hard to find. :squigglemouth: So for either Kaiju Eiga or HK martial arts films, well I often have to get imports, which I luckily can get for a rather decent price.

I just checked my dvd and I was mistaken...I dont have the WV&S dvd, I have the Ritek/Thunder Media dvd with mandarin, burned subs (very clear tho), and watermark. Image is good and is 4:3 letterboxed. I will try to post some comparison shots some time this weekend if you want.

Yeah both are pretty good. Wong Fei Hung i remember a little better, the fighting is really top notch. Chin Kar Lok goes all out which is always good to see. The action is more grounded than the ouatic films though there are a few wire fu touches here and there.

Thunder Media dvd Mandarin with burned subs, letterboxed.

Seems to be wider than the Panorama dvd. Dunno know how it stacks up with the WV&S dvd. Subs seem to be the same as the Panorama.

post-15042-144191892214_thumb.jpg

post-15042-144191892217_thumb.jpg

post-15042-14419189222_thumb.jpg

post-15042-144191892223_thumb.jpg

post-15042-144191892226_thumb.jpg

post-15042-144191892229_thumb.jpg

Archived