Slave Hunter (Chuno) - Korean Drama

daisho2004

Slave Hunter (Chuno) - Korean Drama

Has anyone seen this series it sound Great?

Editorial Reviews

It's hunt or be hunted in the hit 2010 KBS historical fusion drama Chuno, also known as The Slave Hunters. Jang Hyuk (Bad Guy, Thank you, Windstruck) stars as a relentless slave hunter with a tough past, while Oh Ji Ho (My Wife is a Superwoman, A second proposal, Couple of fantasy, Autumn Shower), making his costume drama debut, plays a slave on the run. Popular actress Lee Da Hae (East of Eden, My Girl, Green Rose, Hello Miss) completes the triangle as a runaway slave who becomes a nobleman's daughter. With the leads' physicality on prime display during the drama's gritty action scenes, Chuno generated a lot of buzz for its well-toned cast which also includes Lee Jong Hyuk (Temptation of an Angel), Gong Hyung Jin (Alone in Love), Han Jung Soo (Prosecutor Princess), and Kim Ji Suk (Personal Taste). Slave hunter Dae Gil (Jang Hyuk) originally hailed from the upper class, but his family was destroyed after a slave burned down their house. Hardened by years on the street, Dae Gil survives as a slave hunter, forever in search of his enemy and his childhood love. He is hired to capture Tae Ha (Oh Ji Ho), a former general who was forced into slavery after being falsely accused of a crime. Dae Gil's dogged pursuit of Tae Ha throws the two men's lives on a collision course of no return.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See for Fans of Epic Action July 4, 2011

By Poisoned Blade

Chuno (The Slave Hunters) masterfully blends elements of The Good The Bad and The Ugly, The Seven Samurai, Romeo and Juliet, Robin Hood, and A Game of Thrones; and raises the bar for Epic Dramas.

Setting:

Chuno is a 24 episode drama set during Korea's Joseon Dynasty (16th Century). After Korea lost the war to China, the country was in ruins. 50% of the population was enslaved. When slaves escaped, Chuno (Slave Hunters) were hired to return them to their masters for severe punishments.

Story:

The story revolves around a band of slave hunters lead by Lee Dae Gil, a hunter with a brutal reputation. For the last 10 years, Lee has carried a portrait of a beautiful girl with him where ever he goes, asking everyone if they have seen her and promising them great rewards if they can give him any information. It is soon revealed that Lee was once an aristocrat from a wealthy family who fell in love with a slave named Un Nyun. Because they were from different classes, their relationship was forbidden and they were both severely punished. During a slave rebellion, Lee lost everything and turned to the streets to survive. Now Lee's face is badly scarred and he has the grim countenance of a starving wolf. After 10 years, he still searches for the woman that he loves and her brother who led the rebellion. The Slave Hunters become entangled in a major political conspiracy when they are hired to track down an escaped military criminal.

Awards:

Won Best Actor Jang Hyuk as Lee Dae Gil

Won Best Actor Oh Ji Ho as Song Tae Ha

Won Best Supporting Actor Sung Dong as Chun Ji Ho (The guy with the evil laugh)

Won Best Couple (Lee Dae Gil and Unnyeon)

Won Best Script

Nominated for Best Drama but lost to IRIS.

Characters:

As you can tell by the awards, the acting is superb. Jang Hyuk (Lee Dae Gil) is like a Korean Toshiro Mifune.

Lee Dae Gil is the leader of the slave hunters.

Song Tae Ha is the escaped military criminal.

Hye Won (Un Nyun) is Lee's long lost love.

The story also features corrupt politicians, assassins, mercenaries, soldiers, rival factions, street gangs, merchants, heirs to the throne, spies, scholars...

Action:

Chuno has outstanding action sequences similar to the Movie 300. There are brawls, wars, skirmishes, musket snipers, sword fights, spear fights, archers...

Soundtrack:

The soundtrack is a fusion of modern music blended with epic period music. Personally, I hate lyrics in background music, but for some reason Chuno pulls it off beautifully. The best example is a track called 'Gloomy 30's'. You can find it on youtube or itunes. I put the link in the comment section below.

Maturity: Teens

This was a TV show. There's violence with some blood although I wouldn't call it gory like Spartacus. There's NO nudity like A Game of Thrones or Spartacus.

Overall:

This is a MUST SEE if you are an EPIC COMPLETIONIST. If you like A Game of Thrones, 300, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, The Seven Samurai... then this needs to go on your list. I've known people who cried because some scenes were so sad, some scenes were so funny, and some scenes were so beautiful. I watched the entire series twice already. It's amazing!

People who may not like this:

If your epic period pieces need to be historically accurate, then the music, dynamic fight scenes, or makeup on the women may bother you.

Chuno is available right now on Hulu.com, but the subtitles are sub par. The acting is so good, you don't even need them. I've included two (fairly spoiler free) trailers in the Comment Section Below.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but only the first episodes and keep the fast forward button pushed. Quite boring this series, in my opinion because it's far too transparent. In fact I didn't like the main actor as well..! :wink:

But as you know it always depends on the one who is watching the drama. A friend of mine liked it very much. It's one of her favorites! :bigsmile::bigsmile:

I'm almost finished with this series so I wanted to respond to your post, this is a damn good series the 1st.12 episodes were the best so far but yes it has dragged on quite a bit now but still a really good series.

Archived