Chang Cheh video interview

Reel Power Stunts

Reel Power Stunts

I was sorting through the few old VHS I still have and found this documentary "Yin & Yang: Gender in Chinese Cinema" that I taped off the TV 15+ years ago.

I'm not interested in starting any "Chang Cheh's films are/aren't gay" debates:squigglemouth:. I just assume the docu is fairly rare, so thought fans might enjoy the interviews with Chang & Ti Lung.

Here ya go:

LY5OxqHDuyg

TibetanWhiteCrane
Was this the interview when Mrs Chang Cheh ended up throwing the interviwer out for making Chang Cheh cry?

Not one part of this that isn't funny and/or curious:smile::ooh:

But yeah, I think this was the first time I heard his voice too.

masterofoneinchpunch

Thanks for posting that. It is longer than a previous posting on that film (on youtube on YnEoS.)

How is the rest of the documentary?

Reel Power Stunts

How is the rest of the documentary?

I guess it says something that I've not rewatched it since taping it 15 years ago.

It was, if I recall, made in conjunction with the British Film Institute. It is the kind of documentary readers of Sight & Sound might enjoy, in that it is rather academic, lacking in humour and keen on analysis (over analysis?)..

Interviews with Chang Cheh & John Woo, examining the "male bonding" of their films, along with Tsui Hark and the "gender bending" of films like "Swordsman 2" might interest many regulars of these forums. The bulk of the docu, though (directed by Stanley Kwan), looks at a lot of films which I guess might not appeal to KFC regulars, but might appeal to fans of Chinese film history in general.

masterofoneinchpunch
I guess it says something that I've not rewatched it since taping it 15 years ago.

It was, if I recall, made in conjunction with the British Film Institute. It is the kind of documentary readers of Sight & Sound might enjoy, in that it is rather academic, lacking in humour and keen on analysis (over analysis?)..

Interviews with Chang Cheh & John Woo, examining the "male bonding" of their films, along with Tsui Hark and the "gender bending" of films like "Swordsman 2" might interest many regulars of these forums. The bulk of the docu, though (directed by Stanley Kwan), looks at a lot of films which I guess might not appeal to KFC regulars, but might appeal to fans of Chinese film history in general.

I've been wanting to see it in its entirety since I first heard about it. I do like over analysis :D (of course I'm a fan of David Bordwell and I do read S&S).

Thanks again for posting that. I have already sent that link to several people who were interested in it.

As a kid I loved watching Cheh's movies with no sense of the "hidden" themes. As an adult when I got a chance to collect and rewatch all these films I must admit I began to notice certain "things" in CC's films like why aren't there any women in this movie? Or why does Fang Si yu always have to meet his end via sword through anus? That interview pretty much confirms the suspicions that I think we all had. LOL

As a kid I loved watching Cheh's movies with no sense of the "hidden" themes. As an adult when I got a chance to collect and rewatch all these films I must admit I began to notice certain "things" in CC's films like why aren't there any women in this movie? Or why does Fang Si yu always have to meet his end via sword through anus? That interview pretty much confirms the suspicions that I think we all had. LOL

Always...? Calm down, bro, otherwise you ought to be asked how many Fu Sheng films you actually saw...

And exactly what sort of suspicions does this interview excerpt confirm, please? Chang Che has always been very clear about denying any gay allegations and railed against Western critics trying to equate male bonding with homosexuality or read gay inclinations into his movies. And talking about this particular TV documentary that Reel Power Stunts shared with us, CC actually refers to it in his memoirs:

““... in an interview with Stanley Kwan for an American television station, under his ‘interrogation’, I rather angrily responded, ‘the blood brotherhood pact among Liu Bei, Guan Wenxiang and Zhang Fei (of the THREE KINGDOMS) is not homosexuality!’ Blood brotherhood is a paradigm of Chinese chivalry. As such, Guan is mythicised and homosexuality does not factor into it. A male-bonding collective of an even larger scale is the 108 heroes in THE WATER MARGIN. To say that Song Jiang, Wu Song, Lin Chong and Lu Zhishen are homosexuals is unimaginable, let alone forcing a fashionable Western idea onto (John) Woo and I.”

Killer Meteor
Always...? Calm down, bro, otherwise you ought to be asked how many Fu Sheng films you actually saw...

And exactly what sort of suspicions does this interview excerpt confirm, please? Chang Che has always been very clear about denying any gay allegations and railed against Western critics trying to equate male bonding with homosexuality or read gay inclinations into his movies. And talking about this particular TV documentary that Reel Power Stunts shared with us, CC actually refers to it in his memoirs:

““... in an interview with Stanley Kwan for an American television station, under his ‘interrogation’, I rather angrily responded, ‘the blood brotherhood pact among Liu Bei, Guan Wenxiang and Zhang Fei (of the THREE KINGDOMS) is not homosexuality!’ Blood brotherhood is a paradigm of Chinese chivalry. As such, Guan is mythicised and homosexuality does not factor into it. A male-bonding collective of an even larger scale is the 108 heroes in THE WATER MARGIN. To say that Song Jiang, Wu Song, Lin Chong and Lu Zhishen are homosexuals is unimaginable, let alone forcing a fashionable Western idea onto (John) Woo and I.”

I have to admit Chang Cheh is certainly an exponent of homoeroticism in the way Stallone is...but the only possibly gay character I can pick out in a Chang film is Lu Feng in Masked Avengers...and he's the villian!

Blood brothers as a concept is not homoerotic in any way but some of CC's themes in his films certainly are. Thats my opinion, its removed from nostalgia, and its through the eyes of a mature viewer, not just a Fu Fan. With that said, CC is still my favorite Shaw director and I prefer his films.... subtext and all....

Besides, I'm not saying nothing thats not mentioned in that video

Personally I think he was gay, and I couldn't give less of a fuck if he was!

Yeah.

But did dude ever see a Dentist?!... That's what I'd like to know. Probably could have lived 20 more years without that crud in his mouth.

:sad:

Killer Meteor
Yeah.

But did dude ever see a Dentist?!... That's what I'd like to know. Probably could have lived 20 more years without that crud in his mouth.

:sad:

He made it to a ripe old age anyway.

I just wish he's retired in 1981 and took it easy and didn't have 9 Demons as the only flick of his avaliable on UK DVD for too many years...

He made it to a ripe old age anyway.

I just wish he's retired in 1981 and took it easy and didn't have 9 Demons as the only flick of his avaliable on UK DVD for too many years...

Then there'd be no 5 Element Ninja!! To me, that was the perfect film for him to retire on, it was CC through and through, blood brothers, revenge, evil female, blood and guts, more blood and guts, and Lo Mang dying midway through the film.

Thanks for the video.

I like his movies and I also like his writings.

Chang Cheh, an intellectual and a good writer, had written some very popular lyrics for songs. (Li Han-Hsiang also a good writer and creative) Only these two had written and documented their ideas and movies in writing. they had also written many movie reviews, about shaw brothers and other director's work, actors etc.

Not sure if their books has ever been translated into English or not? :neutral:

Personally I never thought any of Chang Cheh's film had homosexual undertones at all. The men were all masculine and never gave off any signs of homosexuality. I always found Chang Cheh to be a traditional type whereas as the men did the saving of the day to protect the women; so with that said, he preferred having male heroes taking the bruises. Actually I found it to be rather romantic; I loved the interview, it was great hearing this legend's voice. Thanks for the video!!!

Personally I never thought any of Chang Cheh's film had homosexual undertones at all. The men were all masculine and never gave off any signs of homosexuality. I always found Chang Cheh to be a traditional type whereas as the men did the saving of the day to protect the women; so with that said, he preferred having male heroes taking the bruises. Actually I found it to be rather romantic; I loved the interview, it was great hearing this legend's voice. Thanks for the video!!!

Again, I think Lu Feng in Masked Avengers (a villian) is supposed to be gay.

I think the majority of male leads in Chang's films could be called homoromantic.

I couldn't care less about CC's sexual preferences or any ambiguous overtones in his output, his stuff is truly great regardless, however... The only time I ever raised an eyebrow at a CC flick is the bathouse scene in Mag Ruffians where they kick the women out massively offended at their presence before woo-hooing as their towels go flying out. Made me lol.

Many many thanks for the clip!

It's fascinating to get Chang's own perspective on gender and sexuality in his movies. I have always thought of his films as having some homoerotism in them. Anyone see New one armed swordsman when Ti Lung and David Chiang are walking along with their arms around each other ignoring their girlfriends. Anyway - gay or not. I don't care. His movies are legendary. After seeing this interview I can't help thinking of Fu sheng's character(fong sai yuk) at the end of men from the monestary who gets killed by sword-up-the-ass. Nice.