Armour of God & Twinkle Lucky Stars - vhs trailers?

Son Of A Gun

Son Of A Gun

OK, Any UK resident here will remember growing up watching the old VPD 'American Imperial' VHS releases of Jackie Chan movies, probably way too many times. (Unless you are too young to remember VHS, in which case get out!)

And you'll remember before each film was a trailer for one of the other Jackie films from the collection. English language tailers, I mean.

Well, I've gone through all my big box Jackie tapes and I can't find one with an ''Armour of God'' trailer on it. Or A ''Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars'' trailer. I'm sure I saw one for 'Armour of God' back in the day.

Does anyone know where I can find either of those old english trailers?

Thanks. :wink:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reel Power Stunts

There definitely was an "Armour of God" one. Not sure about "Twinkle". Back in the day, I used to compile VHS tapes of such trailers. The quality (of my vhs dubs) was pretty shocking. I can't remember which tape "AOG" was trailered on, but I may have a copy of the trailer, which I'll try to upload for you.

Guest Markgway

I know the trailers you mean - I loved those.

Some appeared more often than others, don't recall seeing the ones you mention though.

For fun here's Wheels on Meals (poor quality alas)

Son Of A Gun
There definitely was an "Armour of God" one. Not sure about "Twinkle". Back in the day, I used to compile VHS tapes of such trailers. The quality (of my vhs dubs) was pretty shocking. I can't remember which tape "AOG" was trailered on, but I may have a copy of the trailer, which I'll try to upload for you.

I did the same. I had a tape of trailers for all sorts of movies. I was putting it together then lost interest. But nowdays I've been putting those Jackie Chan and other Golden HArvest trailers onto dvd for preservation and for future custom dvd projects. I swear I saw an Armour of God trailer! But not 100% sure. :squigglemouth:

If you can find it and let me know what movie tape it can be found on, that would be good, thanks. I'm looking for HQ, so low quality won't do really. But at least if I know what tape to look for, it will be a start. :D Thanks.

I know the trailers you mean - I loved those.

Some appeared more often than others, don't recall seeing the ones you mention though.

For fun here's Wheels on Meals (poor quality alas)

Those are the ones. :wink: Made the movies look so exciting.

I have the trailers for - The First Mission, Police Story 2, Project A 2, Winners and Sinners, Dragons Forever, Above the Law....

.. but I feel there are trailers for "My Lucky Stars'', ''Twinkle Lucky Stars'' and ''Armour of God'' out there. :cry:

Reel Power Stunts
I swear I saw an Armour of God trailer! But not 100% sure. :squigglemouth:

If you can find it and let me know what movie tape it can be found on, that would be good, thanks. I'm looking for HQ, so low quality won't do really. But at least if I know what tape to look for, it will be a start. :D Thanks.

:

I'm having trouble finding the trailer, but I'm 100% sure it exists. It was a montage of action set to Alan Tam's "Midnight Rider", with I think, no narration.

Now I seem to recall "AOG" was one of the first VPD Jackie titles (released around 1987), so the trailer may have shown up on a less-than-obvious title like "Daggers 8" or another traditional.

Guest Markgway

I could be wrong... but I don't think those trailers (AOG, MLS, or TTLS) turned up on any of the other Jackie Chan tapes. But that doesn't mean they couldn't be found on non-Jackie VPD releases. Problem is... how does one find out which tapes?

The BBFC confirm that trailers were classified:

The Armour of God:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BTAVV077739/

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ATAVV077739/

Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ATAVV081070/

My Lucky Stars:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/ATAVF048446/

Son Of A Gun

Interesting info, Mark. That site is amazing. It appears there was a trailer for VPD video.

Maybe the 'Armour of God' trailer is on the ''Shanghai Express'' VHS? Can anyone check?

I only have 'Shanghai Express' on Popular Progress video.

I haven't been able to find my ''My Lucky Stars'' VPD tape yet. Maybe something's on there.

sifu iron perm

just put on my vhs my lucky stars, the following trailers are shown;

wheels on meals

apocalypse mercenaries - lol, this looks like a piece of classic-crapfest.

the first mission aka heart of the dragon

no armour of god.

Reel Power Stunts

Maybe the 'Armour of God' trailer is on the ''Shanghai Express'' VHS? Can anyone check?

I'm pretty sure it isn't. I no longer have my vpd vhs tapes, but recall "Shanghai Express" came out some years after "AOG". I think Vpd tended to do "coming soon" type trailers, not "also available" as they were mainly focused on rental rather than retail.

sifu iron perm

the no holds barred (hulk hogan vs zeus film) vhs had a JC trailer on it..but forgot which title.

Son Of A Gun
I'm pretty sure it isn't. I no longer have my vpd vhs tapes, but recall "Shanghai Express" came out some years after "AOG". I think Vpd tended to do "coming soon" type trailers, not "also available" as they were mainly focused on rental rather than retail.

Shanghai Express was made the same year as Armour of God. That's why I thought it might be on there. But yeah, I had no idea when the video release dates were in the UK.

sifu iron perm:: the no holds barred (hulk hogan vs zeus film) vhs had a JC trailer on it..but forgot which title.

Oh god. Don't even mention that film to me. :xd: That film is trailered on nearly every JC tape I watched. I never want to see that trailer again. In fact, I never want to see that movie. :neutral:

But thanks for the info of the possibility.

Markgway:: Imperial's Shanghai Express tape came out in 1993.

Crumbs! :squigglemouth:

Frog:: There's also a City Hunter trailer on either on Imperial's "Police Story 3: Supercop" or "Crime Story" tapes.

Have you tried Karlmaka?

It's Karlmaka who's looking for these trailers. :xd: I'm asking for him. But since he pointed out that they're hard to find, I now too want to find them. :tongue:

----

I have a great memory but thankfully don't look anything like an elephant.

AOG/ Twinkle trailers were definitely not on any VPD/ Imperial releases of consequence. They may exist on some of the other garbage they released but no decent martial arts movie carried them or I would have seen them.

Son Of A Gun

OK, thanks. This'll be why I can't find them then. :squigglemouth:

I swear I saw them, but I guess my memory must be of the chinese trailers.

OK, well, court adjourned, people. ...for now.

Son Of A Gun

Gives me confidence that I've seen it too then. I just don't know where! :S

I definitely didn't buy any other type of movies by American Imperial. So I must have seen it on one of the JC or Cynthia Rothrock ones.

Oh well, I'll shut up about it now and see what time brings me.

sifu iron perm

im pretty surprised the bbfc didn't rate AOG an 18 cert due to the terrorist scene..photographer with his eyes blasted in..had that Robocop type violence.

im pretty surprised the bbfc didn't rate AOG an 18 cert due to the terrorist scene..photographer with his eyes blasted in..had that Robocop type violence.

Yeah, but it happened during an Alan Tam cool pop song, so it's allowed. :wink:

And thanks Mark, I see what you're saying.....but would be nice to know if it's on there before buying such films. Anyone wanna own up to having bought that video? :tongue:

I'm having trouble finding the trailer, but I'm 100% sure it exists. It was a montage of action set to Alan Tam's "Midnight Rider", with I think, no narration.

Correct :bigsmile:

i swear ive seen the trailer also..i remember the narrator mentions "Asian Hawk.."

Also correct! :bigsmile:

Which means that there are 2 x Armour of God trailers! :xd:

The Dragon, The Hero - Action montage trailer with Midnight Rider playing in the background

Bloodfight - 'Proper' trailer with narration. Jackie Chan. A soldier of Fortune. The Asian Hawk!

Had a couple of hours spare this morning so thought i'd root through my old VPD Imperials and take a trip down memory lane. When I started collecting, I used to be just as excited about what cool trailers there might be for films that i'd not heard of. I'd forgotten about some of these trailers, so they really brought back some cool memories:

Police Story II, TigerCage, Above the Law, The Canton Godfather, Bloodfight, Black Eagle, No Holds Barred, Death Cage, Hawkeye, Top Squad, Breathing Fire, Ring of Fire, Rage of Honour and The First Mission to name a few.

Son Of A Gun - Let me know if you have any issues locating the VHS tapes, and I'll see if I can sort you a copy of the two trailers. Likewise, if there are any other traillers including the ones mentioned above that you're after, let me know.

Killer Meteor

Yet Snake In The Eagle's Shadow and Dragon Lord are 18!

Archived