Bruce Lee UK Blu Rays?

shukocarl

The main differences are there is no monk scene, and two music cues are there that are not in the '98 cut.

That said, the 98 version has a music cue (an awesome one) that isn't in the 73 cut so I wouldn't mind that being retained.

The '73 version is missing the cue that plays when Williams defends himself from the cops, as well as the tail end of the music when Lee chases Han into the armory (music stops at the glass smash in the '73 cut, while the music continues until Lee runs into the armory in the '98 cut), while the '98 version is missing the cat guillotine music (couldn't find the master for a 5.1 remix? it's also not on any of the soundtracks) as well as the music when Roper is dragged out for the morning's "edification".

Not only is the monk scene from the beginning of the film missing in the '73 cut, but the flashback to what the monk says during the final battle with Han is cut as well.

Meanwhile, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the "'98 cut" is really just a remastered Hong Kong cut that just happens to have the American opening and ending credits and English language. :tongue:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm
Linda said this scene was to have been originally included at the behest of Bruce. Obviously, they made a different decision; almost did with the title also: Han's Island, anyone?

:nerd:

e we talking about the Abbott scene?

Killer Meteor
does anyone know which actual version was played during Kung Fu Night on bbc 1 in the 90's?

The first time I saw the film was on the BBC's Kung Fu Night in 2001. It was the 1997 version, and I think it was the first time the nunchuk scene was shown in the UK since the 80s.

I first saw ETD in 1984/1985 and it was on ITV (I recorded it on to betamax lol). It was the uncut theatrical and I didn't see that version on television again.

I've got the theatrical on DVD now, taken from a US laserdisc, and that is the only one I watch despite the drop in quality.

That's the way I prefer the movie.

Guest Markgway

I think (though I dont have it myself) that the NTSC 1993 laserdisc is the best version put out on home video to date. It's the theatrical cut, letterboxed and with mono. That was the last time it was seen proper.

e we talking about the Abbott scene?

Yes sir. As with the dialogue scenes during the battle with Oharra.. He's being taunted.

And don't forget the guards he smashed on his way entering Han's dungeon.

Archived