SAKURA KILLERS observations

ThunderScore

ThunderScore

Once again, something I'd never given a second thought to back in the day, but recently discovered that it might be something of interest... Apart from Chuck Connors (THE RIFLEMAN) packing some familiar heat (and looking a bit like Two-Face)...

27416347762fe8a979d783de0ecc0f645a53559b.jpg

...Also didn't know it was something of a co-production that included John Ladalski in the cast...

• Like 3

I love this movie...

I'm a big fan of the ending sequence. Somebody on here mentioned they had bought an official looking mainland release of this, anyone know if I can get that? It didn't seem to be a VHS conversion. I can't see any images in the first post in this thread, if there are any.

• Like 1

ThunderScore
I'm a big fan of the ending sequence. Somebody on here mentioned they had bought an official looking mainland release of this, anyone know if I can get that? It didn't seem to be a VHS conversion. I can't see any images in the first post in this thread, if there are any.

I've seen it on eBay..

I really wish this film had been marketed a little differently. It totally fell under the radar... There's only the one image (til now) posted in this thread, which was used for (among other things) the Key Video box art, which barely features any ninja. Instead opting to showcase the only name in the cast, Chuck Connors - (who only has a small amount of screen time) is certainly well represented here... holding a rifle and wearing a Brooklyn Dodgers cap and jacket (He was the star of THE RIFLEMAN and prior to that played for the Brooklyn Dodgers). WHITE PHANTOM (1987) was a sequel of sorts to this, with a lot of the same people behind the scenes, and Bo Svenson taking over from Chuck as "The Colonel".

6d2268547d77d24deacad3755809344bddaa622d.jpg5d2266f4347d8204e70aea7e8dcbe29870a81236.jpg

68026b04367cc2efed5a177218664a04aa4eb9de.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks ThunderScore, I can't purchase anything right at the moment so I hope copies are around in the future. I wish Sakura Killers would get a widescreen release. Never knew about the White Phantom film... Is WP any good? Ninja action wise, or any similarities to Sakura Killers?

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Promotion for ninja movies in the 1980s was quite peculiar, considering the look of some trailers...

Never heard of this film, but it seems like a nice flick, from the images posted and what people say about it on this forum.

• Like 1

ThunderScore

SAKURA KILLERS has some interesting people in the cast, such as the afore-mentioned John Ladalski...

cb236cd64f7b7afb26b4e7a2a2d57536e34f95fc.jpg

Though I'm a bit surprised that nobody's mentioned an uncredited Jack Long as a Ninja Master...

8ee3625c4a407a842cd0eafda01975f4781cb373.jpg

...Who trains stars Mike Kelly and George Nicholas...

496260046d79f2fde89ab47317e6ecc657ef6540.jpg

c5e160487824e3ac75f33abb5c9025f40f316c24.jpg

...While nominal star Chuck Connors encounters some local talent...

cca265649c7042f2e38a937d3b45337a96e55b55.jpg

All in all, very enjoyable!

45416f437927e3a174e7662f5471ec816e7adc2f.jpg

Edited by ThunderScore
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Thanks for the pics, ThunderScore. :smile:

That masked guy in the last one reminds of the Ninja Kids/Ninja Death/Ninja Kiss Of Death/Venom Of The Ninja (all of these titles referring to the whole trilogy if I'm not mistaking) movies by Joseph Kuo in which you have a guy wearing a similar mask. Here's a french trailer of this one, in case some people may not remember it:

(interestingly, while this was released as a trilogy in the US, it was released as a single movie (called Ninja Kids) in France after being heavily edited)

• Like 1

Where SAKURA KILLERS was a totally amazing surprise, WHITE PHANTOM is almost pretty much what was expected, tho it was actually shot in Taiwan.    One of the locales in the film, an abandoned resort project in the Sanjhih district was also used in the IFD film GOLDEN NINJA WARRIOR...

c8026dc49872b204e28ade7bf8dc0df06e8c50cf.jpg

(Thanks to fellow KFC member & friend Jesús Manuel and his awesome Golden Ninja Warrior blog for first uncovering this fact!)

394266d44a732241e5aa5e7dd6c7b90c396f1b08.jpg

d3c364bd412b79de238ce8deaf6277d931565291.jpg

While the Ninja scenes are decidedly not too impressive (despite how this might look)...

e03360134f567f4d2339ef7dab99700961c87d56.jpg

Star, Judo Black Belt holder and 2009 Martial Arts Master Hall of Fame inductee Bo Svenson not surprisingly has the best fight of the film...

dc036970447a7bd02b91ecc4a81072d32d9afe85.jpg

While it can't be said for sure if Bo's Colonel Slater is the same as Chuck Connors' (whose character had no last name), the Sakura Ninja (with the same logo) are present here, just not nearly as accomplished...

Edited by ThunderScore
  • Like 1

Secret Executioner

Where SAKURA KILLERS was a totally amazing surprise, WHITE PHANTOM

is almost pretty much what was expected, tho it was actually shot in Taiwan.

One of the locales in the film, an abandoned resort project in the Sanjhih district

was also used in the IFD film GOLDEN NINJA WARRIOR...

c8026dc49872b204e28ade7bf8dc0df06e8c50cf.jpg

(Thanks to fellow KFC member & friend Jesús Manuel and his awesome

Golden Ninja Warrior blog for first uncovering this fact!)

394266d44a732241e5aa5e7dd6c7b90c396f1b08.jpg

Yup, this looks familiar:

goldenninjawarrior26.jpg

goldenninjawarrior27.jpg

It also can be seen for a split second http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X9MZIcalrs.

• Like 1

Checked out the Chinese DVD of SAKURA KILLERS

which was advertised as being widescreen - it's not -

it's PAL and has English/Chinese audio with Chinese

subs and that's about it. I'd speculate the film was

probably shot full frame - there doesn't appear to be

any visual info missing from the either this or the Key

Video VHS. While the cover had some images not at

all from the film, the disc proudly displays the colorful

art that can be seen at the start of this thread...

Color me disappointed...

de726ab4c077e2dbe62aa1791039e2927e16783f.jpg

• Like 1

I'd hope the image quality of the DVD was at least better than a VHS capture. I would probably still buy it...

I purposely left out any mention of the quality. It looked a bit dark and murky, which might be from the PAL-NTSC transition. Couldn't say for sure that it came from VHS either. I don't regret getting it since there isn't anything else at this time.

• Like 1

I purposefully left out any mention of the quality. It looked a bit dark and murky, which might be from the PAL-NTSC transition. Couldn't say for sure that it came from VHS either. I don't regret getting it since there isn't anything else at this time.

Thanks for all the info, ThunderScore. That's the reason I would purchase this release if it's still floating around in future.

Thanks to Shapes for confirming that a widescreen release will never happen.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's a nice cover- I like the shots on there. I wonder if lobby cards exist.

Here's the trailer, if it hasn't been posted already, for anyone who hasn't seen this. I had a copy I lost and then I had to look for it for quite a few years. The film is cheesy but great fun.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

12,800 Yen for a VHS!? Wow, so things really have always been ridiculously expensive in Japan, that's the equivalent of $165!:squigglemouth:

• Like 1

This is such a fun film !  I love the crazy quotations all the way through, such as:

"I offer pain, not praise !"

"That could be a big threat to the U.S.A."

"Ha !  You guys are dead !"

"Sonny !  Wake up Sonny !"

and "Ninja must be strong, unconquerable, never be defeated, you are no ninja !"

It's so unintentionally hilarious.  Great stuff.

• Like 1

It should be mentioned that the villain and action director of White Phantom is the late great Lung Fong, who was credited as Jimmy Lee.

• Like 2

shaolin swords

i saw this as a kid ones and never saw it again like 20 plus years ago its crazy i caught it on tv like last night at all places i would see the movie again was on tv i always wonder what was the name of the flick and never knew in till last night would love to get an offical dvd or blu ray on this flick great flick if any one can point me into the right direction for physical would appreciate it 

• Like 2