Revenge: A Love Story [2010]

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Seriously folks, how can i missed this?? This came out in 2010??

Here is a recent review just released from Ain't it Cool News:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57836

yYxIG_vzY14

REVENGE: A LOVE STORY doesn’t waste any times in getting its hands dirty. Immediately, we know there’s a serial killer on the loose, who murders pregnant women and their unborn children, cutting them right from the womb. As icing on the cake, he’s also killing their husbands, all of whom happen to be cops. Who is responsible for these heinous crimes and what is their motive? Well, as REVENGE: A LOVE STORY will explore, what drives a person to commit such atrocities may very well justify such actions, no matter how deplorable they may be. This is a film that takes what you may think is a black and white, cut and dry situation and blurs it with plenty of grey, twisting your perception of heroes and villains, simply by telling its story in a non-linear way. It takes your natural inclination to think in extremes in certain circumstances and holds a mirror right up to it for you to see something you may not like. This is a riveting film that will have you questioning your sense of right and wrong as you consider just how far you would go for love.

The relationship between Chan Kit (Juno Mak) and Cheung Wing (Sola Aoi) is at the crux of REVENGE: A LOVE STORY. She was a schoolgirl with some sort of mental illness. He was a store clerk who used to put aside the food she liked, in case she came by on a particular day. It was love at first sight between them, and, while they’re both slightly strange in their own right, they get each other, and they want to be together. However, a near-rape of Cheung Wing sets in motion a series of events that will change the trajectory of their union. Director Wong Ching-Po pulls no punches in his graphic and violent approach to this unconventional story that’s laid out over six chapters. While I could have done without the religious undertones of the film, which I think get lost in the brutality of Chan Kit and Cheung Wing’s lives, it’s the extreme nature of wronging those who have wronged you that I succumbed to in REVENGE: A LOVE STORY, because there are no good guys in the film, just ones who slot into lesser degrees of bad. The complexity of that world, which is missing any semblance of hope, keeps you on your toes with the notion that no one can possibly escape from here okay.

REVENGE: A LOVE STORY is one you should absolutely take notice of, if you haven’t already. It was released in Hong Kong back in 2010, so the opportunity is there for you to play a little bit of catch-up. I suggest you take it.

Read up HERE for my reviews of SUSHI GIRL, BLOOD LETTER and SCHOOLGIRL APOCALYPSE, HERE for my review of ERRORS OF THE HUMAN BODY, HERE for my reviews of COLD BLOODED, A FANTASTIC FEAR OF EVERYTHING, DEAD SUSHI and EASTON'S ARTICLE, and HERE for my reviews of AFRO TANAKA, CITADEL, BLACK'S GAME and REPLICAS, all from the 2012 Fantasia International Film Festival.

• Like 1

Sora Aoi is pretty adorable in this one - unbelievable achievement from an AV star. Strong film, too - extremely brutal and hard hitting, but has a clever structure. A bit like Dog Bite Dog but more brutal and with a real love story and without traumatic father relationship bullshit. The ending is a bit of a mess, though, could benefit from deleting the last 10 minutes.

• Like 1

@ Takuma

Well, DOG BITE DOG could have also benefitted from the last ten minutes – the Cambodia showdown – being deleted.

Anyway, Wong Ching-Po is always an acquired taste, I’d say. I do have a certain admiration for his ultra-slick cinematography, fluid editing style and loopy narrative drive and thought his recent LET’S GO was a pretty respectable effort.

Never seen LOVE: A REVENGE STORY but been toying with the idea to snap up the HK BD for a while. What made me hesitate is that I hear its slightly cut, never found solid info on this though...

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

I got through watching this one recently (on the Australian DVD, which is apparently the only uncut version out there on physical media, as random as that sounds). A brutal movie but one that's a quality piece of filmmaking, I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/revenge-a-love-story-2010-review/

• Like 2