Painted Faces (1988)

irongut

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha. Digging the lil K'Bob icon on the bottom of the 2nd one.

Downloaded and printed. Thanks Bob. Now my disc has a proper house.

Amazing. Now I can stop hunting for a tv rip.

It does say that the publisher is 'Shaw Brother Films'. Whether or not that's a mistake and it's still IVL, and whether or not that even factors into the region code, I don't know.

I haven't bought it as yet because I didn't know if it was an all region blu ray and I finally discovered yesterday that it is, so, I should buy it soon...

35 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I haven't bought it as yet because I didn't know if it was an all region blu ray and I finally discovered yesterday that it is, so, I should buy it soon...

Good to know that it is all region. I pre-ordered it last week from dddhouse, and it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it will soon.

kingofkungfu2002
11 minutes ago, Asmo said:

Good to know that it is all region. I pre-ordered it last week from dddhouse, and it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully it will soon.

I got a shipping notice on the 23rd.

Chu Liu Hsiang

I haven't seen this movie yet but heard a lot, so really look forward to finally watching. Thanks for the heads-up!

3 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

I got a shipping notice on the 23rd.

I got my notice a few hours ago, looking forward to seeing it again.

2 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I haven't seen this movie yet but heard a lot, so really look forward to finally watching. Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The same writer/director team followed it up with Eight Taels of Gold, the next year. Sammo puts in another fine dramatic turn on that one.

Omni Dragon

The DVD version I ordered from Buyoyo arrived today. It's also all region, I tested it on a region 2 PAL and it worked fine.
Here's some photos I took as well as screen caps using VLC:

DSC_4957.JPG

DSC_4962.JPG

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h10m00s880.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h11m33s348.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h11m52s235.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h19m58s048.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h20m20s705.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h20m43s735.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h21m02s202.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h21m58s625.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h23m05s295.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h25m59s668.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h25m42s633.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h29m47s585.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h30m32s619.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h31m02s305.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h31m20s378.png

vlcsnap-2018-06-27-12h32m16s649.png

I noticed that on the dvd's cover, it's mentioned IVL, and that on the disc, it's mentioned Fortune Star. Did IVL and Fortune Star built a kind of association and are now releasing Shaws' movies together ?

The DVD's region free? Amazing news, shall get mine ordered soon as! To those that have seen it, what did you make of the film?

Omni Dragon
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I noticed that on the dvd's cover, it's mentioned IVL, and that on the disc, it's mentioned Fortune Star. Did IVL and Fortune Star built a kind of association and are now releasing Shaws' movies together ?

I'm not too sure but I assume it's because PF was a Golden Harvest and Shaw Brothers co-production. I assume the new rights are shared as well and the shared rights complication is why it's taken so long for a legitimate DVD and BD release.  

Chemical Lemon
14 minutes ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I'm not too sure but I assume it's because PF was a Golden Harvest and Shaw Brothers co-production. I assume the new rights are shared as well and the shared rights complication is why it's taken so long for a legitimate DVD and BD release.  

I think this is right.  IVL originally had Painted Faces on the schedule for their last batch of releases (december 2007) but pulled it for some reason, I assume it was rights issues.  I swear there was a Celestial dvd of this released in some territory (not HK, maybe Taiwan?) a few years later.  I could be wrong though since I searched for it and couldn't find a dvd other than the new one.

12 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

I think this is right.  IVL originally had Painted Faces on the schedule for their last batch of releases (december 2007) but pulled it for some reason, I assume it was rights issues.  I swear there was a Celestial dvd of this released in some territory (not HK, maybe Taiwan?) a few years later.  I could be wrong though since I searched for it and couldn't find a dvd other than the new one.

There was a bootleg DVD that used artwork similar to the cover of the VCD and laserdisc. It probably had the Celestial logo on it.

13 hours ago, SamSeed said:

The DVD's region free? Amazing news, shall get mine ordered soon as! To those that have seen it, what did you make of the film?

It's a great drama, showing the early lives of those who attended the China Drama Academy, under Yu Jim-Yuen. Sammo puts in a wonderful dramatic performance, and Lam Ching Ying is great in it.

Amazing to see the film looking so good!

Omni Dragon
On 6/27/2018 at 6:53 PM, SamSeed said:

To those that have seen it, what did you make of the film?

One of my biggest worries before seeing it was it would be over the top and overdramatise like a lot of HK dramas of it's era. Not too many times did I think what does this scene mean or why include it? Maybe jumping off the bus and the way it was shown seemed a little much. I assumed the tortoise holding up the bed (which made me think of the World-bearing Turtle myths) was a metaphor along with Lam Ching Ying's character going mad on a film set.Other than those it mostly felt more sophisticated and modern than a lot of other HK dramas from the same era. I'd have to watch it again but in terms of a straight dramatic performance it's possibly the best I've seen from Sammo. With all movies based on truth you do wonder which parts are faithful reenactments and which are fictitious fancy? I was reminded of how vaguely I know about The Seven Little Fortunes time in the Opera but still I think it gives some sense all be it played down in harshness of what the lads went through, as well as some sense of what 1960s HK was like.

massa_yoda

I blind bought this and I’m glad I did.  Great dramatic film.  Sammo is brilliant and the story about popular culture shifting and things going out of style (i.e. the opera schools) is very universal and well told.  Kudos to the writing and directing by Alex Law and Mabel Cheung.  Nothing really silly or over the top in my eyes.  Everything had a purpose to the story.  Though I felt like there might have been a bit more material that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Also, did celestial add the those title cards at the end or did a time traveler tell them when Master Yu would die back in 88?  Seems weird that they felt like they needed to add that...

ShawAngela

I ordered mine today with two other Shaws' that I only had in vcds, hoping that they will still be in stock...

Archived