Painted Faces (1988)

irongut

Hey all,

Painted Faces depicting the 7 little fortunes not the Donnie Yen flick always seems to be quite elusive for me to get a hold of. I guess it's a really rare print.

What's everyone's thoughts on the film?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sifu iron perm

i personally love it. I first saw some clips on that jonathan ross meets jackie chan show in 1989..

• Administrator
Hey all,

Painted Faces depicting the 7 little fortunes not the Donnie Yen flick always seems to be quite elusive for me to get a hold of. I guess it's a really rare print.

What's everyone's thoughts on the film?

Irongut- your search is now over. :wink:

thanks KFB! Been wanting to see Sammo tell the story of his master for the longest!

Irongut- your search is now over. :wink:

sifu iron perm
thanks KFB! Been wanting to see Sammo tell the story of his master for the longest!

the JC biography is a good read about opera days.

• Administrator

No problem Irongut. :wink:

Anyone got some cover art for this flick?

I made a DVD cover for PAINTED FACES using the photos from my laser disc and a little synopsis I wrote. It came out pretty cool. If you want it I can pop it on here soon.

We just got a brand new printer/scanner from a friend. I'm pretty busy right now, but as soon as I get a second to hook it up I can upload a whole bunch of covers for everyone. Some are from way back in the days when I'd get color photo copies and ACTUALLY cut and paste- not the digital version of cut and paste. So I warn you all- some are pretty sad looking. But I liked them better than having DVDs on the shelf with NO cover. :smile:

That would be great Bob. Thanks....

I made a DVD cover for PAINTED FACES using the photos from my laser disc and a little synopsis I wrote. It came out pretty cool. If you want it I can pop it on here soon.

I enjoyed watching it.

Is there a wide print available that's not from a vhs or vcd? The laserdisc print I saw was full screen.

• Administrator
I enjoyed watching it.

Is there a wide print available that's not from a vhs or vcd? The laserdisc print I saw was full screen.

After what seems to be a lifetime of searching, a friend recently sent me a widescreen copy of this. I believe it was recorded from a TV broadcast of the IVL/Celestial remaster, So it should be out there floating around for people.

After what seems to be a lifetime of searching, a friend recently sent me a widescreen copy of this. I believe it was recorded from a TV broadcast of the IVL/Celestial remaster, So it should be out there floating around for people.

I didn't know they'd even aired the remaster, but I'm not surprised.

I always liked it , only have the vcd tho. a remastered version would be very welcome.

woul d love to see those covers KFB i use to do the same using magazines , sadly i don`t have them anymore.

Son Of A Gun

Kung Fu Bob, please help us to find this television broadcast version in widescreen!? :angel:

My knowledge of the film's versions is that the VCDs and LAserdiscs are all cropped/ Pan & scan so the subtitles are cropped off on either side and a nightmare to watch.

There was a Tai Seng VHS which was in widescreen. Would like to find a copy of that or this tv broadcast just been brought to light.

Son Of A Gun

Speaking of Painted Faces....

309262_319652251465065_1983722835_n.jpg

Nanning Gymnasium in Nanning, China, is one of many ruthless training camps across the country to which parents send their children to learn how to be champions.

:squigglemouth:

Son Of A Gun

OK, I was wrong. It seems some VCD releases were in widescreen. Just had to correct my previous statement.

Speaking of Painted Faces....

309262_319652251465065_1983722835_n.jpg

Nanning Gymnasium in Nanning, China, is one of many ruthless training camps across the country to which parents send their children to learn how to be champions.

:squigglemouth:

Goddamn! Getting the knees to hinge backwards or just a weird photo angle? That's some crazy shit.

I'd like to bend his foot backwards in the direction it shouldn't go, and see the expression and feel the pain of that SOB!

That's absolute abuse!

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

• Administrator
Kung Fu Bob, please help us to find this television broadcast version in widescreen!? :angel:

My knowledge of the film's versions is that the VCDs and LAserdiscs are all cropped/ Pan & scan so the subtitles are cropped off on either side and a nightmare to watch.

There was a Tai Seng VHS which was in widescreen. Would like to find a copy of that or this tv broadcast just been brought to light.

I don't know how to upload things or I'd share it that way. Hopefully somebody that I share it with can upload it for everyone to enjoy. :nerd:

I will upload the cover for this and others soon. :bigsmile:

• Administrator

Hey people, here are the PAINTED FACES DVD covers that I promised I'd post.

First is my original cover which was made long, long ago by creating color photocopies of my laser disc sleeve and cutting them up and pasting them together. :squigglemouth:

PAINTEDFACES-originalcover.jpg

However, once I scanned it and saw how terrible it looked :ooh:, I re-did it for myself and all of you. Hope you like it. :nerd:

PAINTEDFACES-DVDcover.jpg

In my opinion, I like the layout and colors of the original one you made. The new one seems too bright/saturated...also not digging the font.

Have you thought about trying to recreate/remaster your original one. I have the laserdisc too so maybe I'll try it myself sometime.

Very cool for sharing! Thanks :)

I went ahead and tried to clean up your original one up a bit. Used elements from both of your covers and added a little bit on my own. Not bad for a rush job :)

post-15042-144191892188_thumb.jpg

Archived