Japan to remake Eastwood's "Unforgiven"

DiP

Warner Bros is co-financing the film and Lee Sang-il will be directing the film. Castmembers include Ken Watanabe, Emoto Akira and Sato Koichi. The remake will be turned into a samurai story, similar to Sergio Leone remaking Yojimbo into the spaghetti western A Fistful Of Dollars. Tentative release date has been set for fall 2013.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/warner-to-remake-unforgiven-in-japan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mixed feelings about this. Unforgiven is just fine the way it is; but on the other hand, anything that isn't tied to a TV show is more than welcome.

Noelle Shadow Kick

The history of remaking westerns into samurai films and samurai films into westerns is a tradition I enjoy. Is Unforgiven an excellent movie? Absolutely. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be remade. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai are also excellent films, but so are Fistful of Dollars and Magnificent Seven. I also find it fascinating as a cultural study. When films like this are placed next to each other, it's interesting to compare what the different cultures value.

I'm stoked about this announcement. Wantanabe really deserves a staring samurai role outside of the Cruise vehicle that made him play 2nd fiddle to Tom. Also, for some reason I hold a really really bizarre fascination with Hokkaido. It's always been Japan's frontier.

I've always thought Hokkaido would be a great location for an action/horror/samurai film!

Hollywood has been remaking Samurai film into Westerns, since, forever, So I have no problem with this. It might even be better than the original, ya never know.

I didn't care for Unforgiven all that much.But I will definitely see this movie!

Wow I'm really surprised by that!

Hmmmm, this could be interesting...

You coward, you just sliced down a man without a sword -

Well, if he was going to decorate his sake den with my friend, he should of sworded himself:tongue:

wow i'm really surprised by that!

Hmmmm, this could be interesting...

you coward, you just sliced down a man without a sword -

well, if he was going to decorate his sake den with my friend, he should of sworded himself:tongue:

lol!!!!!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker
The history of remaking westerns into samurai films and samurai films into westerns is a tradition I enjoy. Is Unforgiven an excellent movie? Absolutely. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be remade. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai are also excellent films, but so are Fistful of Dollars and Magnificent Seven. I also find it fascinating as a cultural study. When films like this are placed next to each other, it's interesting to compare what the different cultures value.

Agree, these two genres trading off one another is nothing new, been like this for decades... I'm really stoked to see how it will turned out...

OpiumKungFuCracker

Is it just me guys or Ken Watanabe is a bit overrated in terms of having a Japanese actor crossing over to the mainstream markets?? I much prefer this guy to cross over:

assassins_poster_c2.jpg

Or:

11436614_gal.jpg

@Tosh: I thought Unforgiven just dragged on until the end of the movie. I never understood why it was giving so much praise as one of the Greatest Westerns of all time. Maybe its me or did I miss something there? I'm going to watch it again.

Secret Executioner
@Tosh: I thought Unforgiven just dragged on until the end of the movie. I never understood why it was giving so much praise as one of the Greatest Westerns of all time. Maybe its me or did I miss something there? I'm going to watch it again.

The ending was nice, but the movie dragged and I would even go as far as to say that it's pretty boring as a whole.

I hope the remake will improve that.

The ending was nice, but the movie dragged and I would even go as far as to say that it's pretty boring as a whole.

I hope the remake will improve that.

Kids these days. No attention span :tongue:

I was just giving a thought on seeing the remake. Hokkaido setting and the ainu stuff sound interesting. Wasn't initially interested in the remake, though.

I heard its almost identical to Clint's version! That I'm really disappointed to hear. I was truly hoping for something more out of the box.

Archived