New Bruce Lee Blu ray Releases in Japan

David Rees

Interesting new Bruce Lee Blu ray releases in Japan later this year. It looks like you will have the option of 4 dub tracks, Mandarin / Cantonese / English Dubbed / Japanese dub. Also it says Japanese theatrical version, which could be interesting because these have a different music track..see here for details....http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=203248

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see my blu-ray.com thread is spreading :tongue: If no one else gets these, you can be sure I'll pick them up for review. Hopefully by then I'll have a decent blu-ray capturing program. I have the free version of PowerDVD that came with the drive, but it won't let me take blu-ray screencaps :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Son Of A Gun

The Japanese theatricals dubs are nothing special. they already exist in the form of fan made custom dvds.

I'm not knocking them though. Great to see them included on the Blurays.

Basically - They are the commonly known english dubs but with the occasional bit of extra music added in. the majority of the audio is the same as the english though.

for instance..

the Big Boss opening credits has the Japanese theme tune that you will all know once you hear it. It's used in Bruce Lee the legend and can be found on various Big Boss LP soundtracks from Tam label. It's akwardly put on though. It fades out and then the original Peter Thomas music fades in.

During the Chiao Mei's crying scene where Bruce tells her to go to bed. That scene has the Peter Tomas music but over the top is some other music done by Joseph Koo. The 2 tracks mix quite well actually, but still a bit odd.

Some times they mix the Peter Thomas music with other music and it sounds a right mess. You'll see.

With Way of the Dragon, It's basically the same as the international english dub, but has Bruce's real war cries through out and a cool upbeat tune that they add in on several occasions. During the Bob Wall/Whang In Sik vs Bruce fights , for instance.

Hey, Son of a Gun, its a great thread on Blu ray.com , keep it up....

here is an example of the music added, works well i think....

aWmKvZcgjWA

Son Of A Gun

Yep, that's a clip right there.

And it was Old Pang Yau who does the Bluray.com page, I think. Nothing to do with me. :tongue:

But I will take credit for it anyway. :xd: Thanks.

Yep, that's a clip right there.

And it was Old Pang Yau who does the Bluray.com page, I think. Nothing to do with me. :tongue:

But I will take credit for it anyway. :xd: Thanks.

And I will take the credit back from *yoink* :tongue: Seriously though, you and I are the ones who keep pushing the info of all of these versions out to everyone :wink:

Most music changes in the Japanese releases of the Bruce Lee films were in The Big Boss and Way of the Dragon... very little in Fist of Fury, other than the Mike Remedios opening and ending.

That's why I put 'new' in inverted commas. ;)

I figued :tongue: However, most of the "new" music in the Japanese Big Boss ended up finding its way into the Cantonese re-released in the early 80s.

Killer Meteor
I figued :tongue: However, most of the "new" music in the Japanese Big Boss ended up finding its way into the Cantonese re-released in the early 80s.

The title theme on the Cantonese Big Boss is from the 1958 movie How To Make A Monster!

Hey, Son of a Gun, its a great thread on Blu ray.com , keep it up....

here is an example of the music added, works well i think....

aWmKvZcgjWA

I don't know Dave.

I think that's a prime example of when to leave well enough alone.

:confused:

Remember this was done in 1974 / 75 for the Japanese Theatrical release. Anyone who has the Japanese soundtrack albums will be familiar with them. I would like to have these versions alongside the ORIGINAL MONO of course.....:wink:

Does anyone at least notice the upside to this English dub is that it has Bruce Lee's real yells? At most, the classic English dub would only allow Lee's real yells in the final fight with Norris (most likely because there was no dialogue in the scene to jump back to), but even those yells were redubbed in the American theatrical version. The Japanese theatrical version, as far as I know, is the only official release using the classic English dub to use Lee's real yells 99% of the time (you'll notice the initial "tag-in yell" at the beginning of that clip is the other voice actor).

Does anyone at least notice the upside to this English dub is that it has Bruce Lee's real yells? At most, the classic English dub would only allow Lee's real yells in the final fight with Norris (most likely because there was no dialogue in the scene to jump back to), but even those yells were redubbed in the American theatrical version. The Japanese theatrical version, as far as I know, is the only official release using the classic English dub to use Lee's real yells 99% of the time (you'll notice the initial "tag-in yell" at the beginning of that clip is the other voice actor).

Curious point.. Also, by comparison, the Bruceploitaton flick Return of Bruce saw Huang Kin Lung's voice dubbed war cries eerily similar to Lee's in WOTD. Possibly the same dubber?

Archived