Angel Terminators 2 (1993)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this classic example of the girls with guns genre that dominated the late 80s/early 90s HK action scene, and wanted to check out what other peoples opinions are on it.

First off I actually went in under the completely wrong assumption that this was an alias for the sequel to 'Iron Angels', and was unaware that in fact the 'Angel Terminators' series is completely different to 'Iron Angels'. Now that I know, is 'Angel Terminators' worth a watch? & what is the Wu-Tang Clan's release of 'Midnight Angels 3' (http://www.amazon.com/Midnite-Angels-3-Moon-Lee/dp/B00008V2W3/ref=pd_cp_mov_0) a sequel to, the 'Iron Angels' series or the 'Angel Terminators' series? Confusing!

But back to the movie, Moon Lee & Yukari Oshima, who did so many movies together in this vein it's easy to lose count, play old friends who get together again when Oshima, a gang member, is released from prison. Other girls with guns regular Sibelle Hu is also thrown into the mix, & a brief appearance by Sophia Crawford along with Shaw Brothers stars Lo Lieh & Jason Pai Paio. Choreography duties go to the lesser known Yuen clan member Yuen Bo.

I really enjoyed this movie in part due to the real feeling of being a ticking time bomb that Oshima brings to her character. She has a short fuse, and whenever she's on screen, which is a lot, there's always a feeling that violence is never far away, and sure enough she gets some good fight scenes to show off her stuff (she also spends half the movie wearing pants that say 'SLUT' all over them, strange). Moon Lee gets two great one on one fights, sadly against who I'm not sure as I wasn't able to dig out the names of the performers who go against her....but one is a gym hall fight at the beginning of the movie, which I've included a clip of, and the other is the finale, which contains a solid mix of fisty cuffs and heroic bloodshed style action.

The plot itself isn't really worth going into, it's standard HK fare for the era, which essentially means things tick along quite nicely with the usual mix of melodrama & action...before out of nowhere everything goes straight to hell and half the cast get mercilessly wiped out in the bat of an eyelid, but hey it's early 90s HK action, and we probably wouldn't have it any other way.

Gym fight with Moon Lee....

5ZtamGgg2_0

Yukari Oshima in action, **SPOILER warning - turn it off at the 2 minute mark if you don't want to see an important plot point revealed**

LFa-ppvQzVw

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the dvd availability of this?

Yes, Angel Terminators (1) is worth a watch, though that's pretty much all I can say as it's been forever since I saw it.

One Armed Boxer
What's the dvd availability of this?

I got it on a fan-made custom DVD-R from these guys, it looks like a transfer from the LD, but very watchable with burnt in subs - http://www.houndslowteam.tk/

Angel Terminators (1) is worth a watch, though that's pretty much all I can say as it's been forever since I saw it.

Cool, I might pick it up, looks like there's a DVD release of it from Tai Seng still knocking around in a few places.

ShaOW!linDude

Aw, man! That gym fight was cool! I didn't even fool with the 2nd clip. I'll have to track this down at some point.

That's for hipping me to this, OAB.

It's been years since I've seen them, but both Angel Terminator films are way up there among my favorite '80s Girls With Guns films. Think I remembered liking #2 a bit more than #1, but both are great stuff.

One Armed Boxer
Aw, man! That gym fight was cool! I didn't even fool with the 2nd clip. I'll have to track this down at some point.

That's for hipping me to this, OAB.

Yeah, it's a good movie, and one which I'd love to see get one of your 'Many Mini Reviews' (which these days aren't so mini by the way, and a lot better for it!) treatment!

Does anyone know the answer to my question about 'Midnight Angels 3'?

• Administrator
Yeah, it's a good movie, and one which I'd love to see get one of your 'Many Mini Reviews' (which these days aren't so mini by the way, and a lot better for it!) treatment!

Does anyone know the answer to my question about 'Midnight Angels 3'?

Hey man, first- very enjoyable review (with clips!). I haven't watched the ANGEL TERMINATOR films in over a decade and this has got me psyched to watch them again. :nerd:

To answer your questions...

MIDNIGHT ANGELS 3 is (as you suspected) the US VHS re-titling of IRON ANGELS 3.

The IRON ANGELS and ANGEL TERMINATOR films are not related (other than sharing film personnel).

The first ANGEL TERMINATOR is well worth seeing.

Archived