The Last Stand (2013)

daisho2004

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker

I don't care if this movie turns out to good or pure shit, I'm just happy to see Arnold back on the big screen... Same goes with Sly...

• Administrator

Okay, so I saw the trailer for this today before THE EXPENDABLES 2 and it looks like a great throwback to Arnie's old days. Directed by... get this- Kim Ji-Woon! Yeah, that's right, the Guvenator is being directed by the man that brought us I SAW THE DEVIL, A BITTERSWEET LIFE, A TALE OF TWO SISTERS, and THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD. :nerd: I'm so ready for this.

I'm a bit worried about Johnny Knoxville... Why is he in the movie?

Then again, The Good the Bad the Weird was spaghetti western for MTV generation, too.

Now I'm even more worried...

I Saw the Devil and A Bittersweet Life were good, though.

last-stand-poster-610x940.jpg

One Armed Boxer

Arnie & Kim Ji-woon (or as the trailer has it spelt - Kim Jee-woon :tongue:), who would have thought!? But then the same thing could be said for Steven Seagal & Robert Rodriguez, and look how that turned out!

This will no doubt be Ji-woon in all-out action mode, I think we can forget any kind of hidden depths or subtlety, but then that's exactly what he did with 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird', which for me at least is an excellent movie.

This is the trailer other members are referring too, for me it shows a healthy lack of CGI & plenty of explosions, car stunts, Ji-woon's usual excellent use of camera, and gun shots galore, count me in!

qUFGVlE1GNQ

Ji-woon also talks about working with Arnie in this link to an interview he did recently - http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

I'm a bit worried about Johnny Knoxville... Why is he in the movie?

Then again, The Good the Bad the Weird was spaghetti western for MTV generation, too.

Now I'm even more worried...

Kim Ji-Woon is EXCELLENCE. i`ve seen all of his movies and they re all good, great or awesome for what they are.

i for one am a bit worried about Knoxville too.... and Arnie.

although, if presented right, both of em could still ADD to the FUN i guess (and hope).

frankly, i dont get the "mtv generation" comment. i should, but if i dwell on the matter, it makes less and less sense.

coming to think of it, I am the freakin mtv-generation and i was born in the early 70s- so what gives ?!

oh yeah- "The G, B & W" is one of the most marvellous action flicks of the past couple of years period :smile:

(and the trailer suggests, THE LAST STAND is kind of an americanized rehash of "The G, B & W"

ive never been anti-Arnie and even cut him some slack for the less stellar productions of his heydays, but in his last few years appearances hes been coming across like a total douche. of course that could have to do with him portraying a politician. or that hes always been a douche i just didnt wanna see it :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

To be honest guys, the track record for Foreign directors cross streaming to Hollywood hasn't been all that good, right??? Everyone keeps talking smack about John Woo's Hollywood effort which to me aren't really all that bad???

Broken Arrow

Face-Off

MI2

Hard Target

The Bad:

Wind-Talkers

That looks like a good track record for Woo in Hollywood, no???

One Armed Boxer
oh yeah- "The G, B & W" is one of the most marvellous action flicks of the past couple of years period

(and the trailer suggests, THE LAST STAND is kind of an americanized rehash of "The G, B & W"

Agreed....Knoxville definitely seems to be channeling Song Kang-ho's 'The Weird' with his fashion sense at least!

To be honest guys, the track record for Foreign directors cross streaming to Hollywood hasn't been all that good, right??? Everyone keeps talking smack about John Woo's Hollywood effort which to me aren't really all that bad???

Broken Arrow

Face-Off

MI2

Hard Target

The Bad:

Wind-Talkers

That looks like a good track record for Woo in Hollywood, no???

'Paycheck' definitely belongs in the bad as well.

It's true most of the HK directors who headed over to Hollywood post the '97 handover got burdened with crappy action vehicles, almost all starring Van Damme...& this was the cream of the territories directors - Ringo Lam, Tsui Hark, & of course John Woo.

The difference is most of them left HK because they thought they have to, with China suddenly imposing it's strict censorship laws on the movie industry, they probably felt they didn't have a choice, as long as they got a shot with making a movie in Hollywood that was enough.

Kim Ji-woon never needed to leave Korea, nor did Park Chan-wook & Bong Joon-ho who also have Hollywood projects on the horizon, so I have some faith that the movies they've made are of their own choosing, and that their input hopefully hasn't been too diminished by play it safe producers. But time will tell, for now I'm excited to see 'The Last Stand'.

Guest Markgway
It's true most of the HK directors who headed over to Hollywood post the '97 handover got burdened with crappy action vehicles, almost all starring Van Damme...

Whoa.... you didn't just refer to Hard Target as 'crappy' did you? Because I may have to send Arnold Vosloo 'round to give you a haircut. :crossedlips:

• Administrator
Whoa.... you didn't just refer to Hard Target as 'crappy' did you? Because I may have to send Arnold Vosloo 'round to give you a haircut. :crossedlips:

He never said those exact words...:ooh:.. (imagining myself stuck in a Wooian stand-off involving pistols, spear guns and bow and arrow).

I love HARD TARGET! :nerd:

ShaOW!linDude
He never said those exact words...:ooh:.. (imagining myself stuck in a Wooian stand-off involving pistols, spear guns and bow and arrow).

Oh! And one of you has to have a bag of cash, one a detonator, and one a micro-chip, and all 3 of you has to have changed faces and be visualizing a flashback of some sort!:bigsmile:

One Armed Boxer

The guys over at Twitch have posted a duo of reviews for the movie, one which draws a comparison to 'Hard Target', and the other which makes a "favorable" comparison to 'True Lies' and 'Battleship'!:tongue: Overall the message seems to be that 'The Last Stand' succeeds in being what it sets out to be, an all out action movie and nothing more...which in the hands of Ji-woon shouldn't be such a bad thing! -

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/01/review-the-last-stand.html

OpiumKungFuCracker

The Last Stand an action movie, really???? This whole time I thought it was based on a Shakespearean play in London, no???

masterofoneinchpunch

The Last Stand (2013: Kim Jee-woon) ***/****

I have not seen a film on opening day since Drive. I tend to avoid the Friday crowds (and extra fees where I go), but crowds have been busy throughout the week and I had to see something. I did not have the time to go to any coffee shop so I was more coherent than usual. I made it in time for the first trailer for the latest Die Hard and later for more Bruce Willis enjoyment and to my surprise there was one for Red 2. I wonder if I should see Red 1. This was shown in the second largest theater and the crowd was somewhat noisy, but luckily about half full so I got a good seat toward the back with no one behind me. Unfortunately, there was nothing unusual about the boilerplate crowd except for the vast amount of Arnold accent imitations that permeated the theater.

This is the first 2013 film I have seen. I was not expecting much since this is a come back film for Arnold, except that I noticed it was directed by Kim Jee-woon who had directed a horror film A Tale of Two Sisters which I had thought quite highly off and an action film The Good, The Bad, The Weird which I had liked and felt it was influenced by Hollywood action films regardless of the Spaghetti Western name. I thought he might be a good fit. Many an action aficionado will state the corruptive effect for Asian action auteurs in Hollywood such as John Woo (though some of his Hollywood output like Face Off I really like) and Ringo Lam. But with a relatively smaller budget at 30 million there might not be as much pressure from the producers, though it may have trouble making that money back with a weak opening weekend.

Arnold is Ray Owens a local sheriff who was a successful cop in LA but wanted to work at a slower pace (in some ways this character reminds me of the Tom Selleck Stone Cold character). He has a rag tag assortment of inexperienced deputies including Luis Guzman and eventually Johnny Knoxville. Meanwhile a drug kingpin Gabriel Cortez (Eduardo Noriega: The Devil's Backbone) is being shipped under Agent John Bannister (Forest Whitaker: Ghost Dog), but is unfortunately freed with the help of a large magnetic device and lots of hired mercenaries. He is then heading toward the border to escape through a town already partially taken over by his gang led by Burrell (Peter Stormare: Get the Gringo).

The cinematography from Kim Ji-yong was impressive. It is not overtly shaky like much of the Michael Bay and Bourne films that has dominated and influenced the action landscape -- detrimentally in my opinion. But it is not static either. It should not be with the amount of car chases, gun fights and general mayhem.

It is interesting how MMA style has been influencing action fight scenes over the past few years. There is a nice one here involving Arnold and Eduardo Noriega that is appropriately intelligent enough between a smaller faster man and a stronger older one.* I watched Commando the following night and I can easily say that fight finale with Vernon Wells is much worse, though The Last Stand has nowhere near the amount of one-liners. Arnold's delivery of dialogue is a bit rusty here, but his presence is still formidable. I am curious on how The Tomb is going to turn out. I hope it is as good as this film.

This was a good start to the 2013 season. While the plot was nothing extraordinary and the federal and local police were pretty inept in dealing with these hired mercenaries, this is a fun and fast bloody popcorn film with plenty of humor and exploding bodies

There are no additional scenes after the credits.

* Spoilers below: though sometimes I do wonder when someone is stunned why you do not continue the assault instead of letting them get back to their senses. This seems an extremely dangerous approach with criminal psychopaths. Of course then the fight scene would be over sooner. I thought the power slam after the arm-bar/scissor choke was quite appropriate. It is similar in that aspect to the triangle choke/power slam combination in one of my favorite fights of all-time with Donnie Yen and Collin Chou in Flash Point.

Peter Stormare does not seem to live much in films does he?

Guest Markgway
But with a relatively smaller budget at 30 million there might not be as much pressure from the producers, though it may have trouble making that money back with a weak opening weekend.

Regardless of the small budget the movie has been classed as an instant BOMB. A #10 opening for an Arnie movie is a shocker. Clearly American audiences have no taste and would rather see such megastars as Bradley Cooper and Shire LeBeef. I only hope this (and the upcoming Stallone and Willis films) do well internationally otherwise we could see the end of the mainstream R-rated actioner.

Peter Stormare does not seem to live much in films does he?

If only they'd kill him before the movies begin..........

OpiumKungFuCracker

A very satisfying action movie in my book... The characters are likable and it's pretty light hearted for an R action movie if you can believe that... I guess the reason why it bombed at the box office is because it was released in January??? Also gun control politics has something to do with it don't you think??? I would say that it was bad timing????

masterofoneinchpunch
A very satisfying action movie in my book... The characters are likable and it's pretty light hearted for an R action movie if you can believe that... I guess the reason why it bombed at the box office is because it was released in January??? Also gun control politics has something to do with it don't you think??? I would say that it was bad timing????

I think it is a combination of factors. I tend to talk over movies with, well everyone, as well as read print, online etc... and it seems to me a combination of people not happy with his Governorship (I'm in California), not happy with his affair, viewing him as old and apparently some lack of promotionship. I talked to a few that did not even know this existed and wanted to know if I had seen Django Unchained.

I don't think gun control politics has anything to do with it. Many of the popular films here right now have had guns in them. Now maybe because of a lighthearted approach with guns ... but I personally don't think so.

I hope word of mouth helps, but it might take BD/DVD sales to get back into the black for this film (unless overseas does well).

masterofoneinchpunch
Regardless of the small budget the movie has been classed as an instant BOMB. A #10 opening for an Arnie movie is a shocker. Clearly American audiences have no taste and would rather see such megastars as Bradley Cooper and Shire LeBeef. I only hope this (and the upcoming Stallone and Willis films) do well internationally otherwise we could see the end of the mainstream R-rated actioner.

While I do like Bradley Cooper, I'm a big fan of those mentioned (well except LeBeef :smile:). I will be spending money on Stallone and Willis, so I do hope those do well at the box office. I don't want the R actioner to vanish like the dodo and I am hoping the factors to this film not doing well have to do with what I mentioned above.

Archived