New Criterion Releases

Ronin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited for Roshomon! The year just keeps getting better for Samurai cinema. I could leave the Horror set behind. I really think that's not worth Criterion's time when there's so many other amazing films that they could give attention too!

Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell is an awesome film. Glad it is finally getting released in the US. I would prefer blu-ray, but I don't think any of the Eclipse line gets the blu-ray option. Most of the stuff they release through Eclipse is lucky to be getting a DVD release!

Chemical Lemon

I'm the excited about the eclipse Horror box. It's nice that they're releasing Rashamon on blu, but I can't say as I'm incredibly excited about it, I wish they'd focus on unreleased movies rather than releasing movies over and over. I get it, Kurosawa is where they make the most money, but it's kind of a snooze already. I'm more interested in their Eclipse releases, but in a typical year we can only expect 1 or 2 of those to be Japanese. Next to 3 Outlaw Samurai I think the Shochiku is the most exciting release for me this year. Godzilla and the Samurai trilogy were nice upgrades (especially the Samurai Trilogy), but I'm ready for more unreleased movies.

I'm the excited about the eclipse Horror box. It's nice that they're releasing Rashamon on blu, but I can't say as I'm incredibly excited about it, I wish they'd focus on unreleased movies rather than releasing movies over and over. I get it, Kurosawa is where they make the most money, but it's kind of a snooze already. I'm more interested in their Eclipse releases, but in a typical year we can only expect 1 or 2 of those to be Japanese. Next to 3 Outlaw Samurai I think the Shochiku is the most exciting release for me this year. Godzilla and the Samurai trilogy were nice upgrades (especially the Samurai Trilogy), but I'm ready for more unreleased movies.

This is exactly how I feel. Criterion has the rights to almost 100 Japanese films that don't have a DVD release period. Lets start getting these out there.

Archived