Is Old Man From Enter the Dragon....

sdog2006

really Wo Man from Enter the Dragon?

Why is God's name would you call someone Old Man?

Hello there, just reminding you that you're old?

Also, the scene where Ho Lee Yan and Bruce Lee speak was far longer. They spoke about the book Lee had written, which was cut out completely etc. Factor in that Ho Lee Yan's character was a close family friend at the very least and Old Man, as a name, seems mega strange?

I know Bruce Lee had trouble with some of his pronunciation? Could it be that this was just lost in translation somewhere along the line?

Anyway watching the Blu Ray and thought I'd ask!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I alway`s got the feeling he was his father.Uncle at least.

It seem`s to me they cut almost all the scenes of bruce talking. i mean he hardly speaks at all in the film once he gets on the island.

I would love to see all those scenes in the bonus features on the 40th anniversary bluray.

ARE YOU LISTENING WARNERS?

Part of that scene that wasn't used in Enter The Dragon was used in Tower Of Death but of course the original dialogue was dubbed over with new dialogue. I would love to see that complete scene with the original dialogue. I'm sure it still exists somewhere in it's entirety...

Part of that scene that wasn't used in Enter The Dragon was used in Tower Of Death but of course the original dialogue was dubbed over with new dialogue. I would love to see that complete scene with the original dialogue. I'm sure it still exists somewhere in it's entirety...

They discussed a book Lee had written on martial arts before Ho Lee Yan dropped the sister bombshell. I doubt that Bruce Lee even looped those lines but even if he did, they're long gone.

Guest Markgway
They discussed a book Lee had written on martial arts before Ho Lee Yan dropped the sister bombshell. I doubt that Bruce Lee even looped those lines but even if he did, they're long gone.

The production audio might still exist.

It was probably decided after he died to cut them. Remember, he had visited WB in May after his collapse, finished looping dialogue, and viewed a rough cut of the film without visuals and music while there. He gave them an approval of the cut he'd seen. Obviously, he more than likely had more dialogue and the Monk scene was probably included at that time as well.

When he died, they just probably released the film according to what they thought would best represent.

It was probably decided after he died to cut them. Remember, he had visited WB in May after his collapse, finished looping dialogue, and viewed a rough cut of the film without visuals and music while there. He gave them an approval of the cut he'd seen. Obviously, he more than likely had more dialogue and the Monk scene was probably included at that time as well.

When he died, they just probably released the film according to what they thought would best represent.

Hey Dude

I was of the impression that he watched the theatrical print minus titles and sound effects.

We'll never know I guess.

Guest Markgway

I'm sure those scenes were removed as a natural part of the editing process and never intended to be included (as such ADR probably wasn't done, but production audio might still exist). Bruce had no say in which version of the movie would be released. I think they got it right in 1973 with the standard theatrical cut. I would like to see that version restored on BD with the deleted scenes as extras.

I'm sure those scenes were removed as a natural part of the editing process and never intended to be included (as such ADR probably wasn't done, but production audio might still exist). Bruce had no say in which version of the movie would be released. I think they got it right in 1973 with the standard theatrical cut. I would like to see that version restored on BD with the deleted scenes as extras.

You and me both.

Hopefully the two prints are released on the one package next year. That plus the Ahna Capri footage in good condition would suit me fine.

You and me both.

Hopefully the two prints are released on the one package next year. That plus the Ahna Capri footage in good condition would suit me fine.

Don't forget Betty Chung's underground fight scene Bruce choreographed when she released the prisoners..

:nerd:

Don't forget Betty Chung's underground fight scene Bruce choreographed when she released the prisoners..

:nerd:

I think she just cracked a guard over the head and it was probably cut because it looked fake. Would still be good to see though.

I agree with Markgway also. I prefer the original version and miss the music from a couple of scenes. There should be tons of extra footage somewhere. I honestly doubt it was ALL destroyed. Oh well, one can dream.

I think she just cracked a guard over the head and it was probably cut because it looked fake. Would still be good to see though.

Aww man, I thought she might have busted some moves, being an agent of Braithwaite.

What about Han`s daughters? I thought they were his most personal guards.

Seems strange to introduce them like that and when the s*** hits the fan they do nothing.

Seems strange to introduce them like that and when the s*** hits the fan they do nothing.

What do you mean, do nothing? They were smokin' opium and getting tatted up!

:wink:

sifu iron perm
What do you mean, do nothing? They were smokin' opium and getting tatted up!

:wink:

and laughing hard at jim kelly getting his afro smashed up by Pops.

Guest Markgway

That's an excellent point and believe it or not something I've never thought of.

Why introduce personal bodyguards who do, er, nothing while daddy is impaled on a lance?

What would have been awesome is to have Betty Chung kick all their skanky asses. :bigsmile:

That's an excellent point and believe it or not something I've never thought of.

Why introduce personal bodyguards who do, er, nothing why daddy is impaled on a lance?

What would have been awesome is to have Betty Chung kick all their skanky asses. :bigsmile:

...in oil, or mud but totally nude... (just sayin)

...in oil, or mud but totally nude... (just sayin)

The blonde chick who is laughing her dumb ass off at Jim Kelly taking an ass kicking was Robert Clouse's wife. You can have her :wink:

• Administrator

Why introduce personal bodyguards who do, er, nothing while daddy is impaled on a lance?

I have mad love for ENTER THE DRAGON. But I have always wondered the same thing about Han's daughters- why did they disappear and not fight with Bruce or Betty Chung- and the missed opportunity of not having Bruce fight Bolo. It would have been a great way to express Bruce's martial arts philosophy of using skill over brawn, and undoubtedly a classic fight for all time.

I have mad love for ENTER THE DRAGON. But I have always wondered the same thing about Han's daughters- why did they disappear and not fight with Bruce or Betty Chung- and the missed opportunity of not having Bruce fight Bolo. It would have been a great way to express Bruce's martial arts philosophy of using skill over brawn, and undoubtedly a classic fight for all time.

You're absolutely correct about these points and its not the first time those script short comings have been exposed. For instance:

1.) Why would a Shaolin Monk allow himself to be used as an government agent?

2.)With the MA background he had, wouldn't Williams fare better teaming up with Lee, in the finale?

3.)If Oharra was Han's bodyguard, why was he killed so early on? Couldn't he have killed Roper and or Williams to make him seem even more formidable? Or, have Bolo there with him, or eliminate Bolo altogether? Not just that, but, who was Bolo in all of this? THE Executioner?

4.)THE hall of mirrors took away from the square off between Lee and Han. I've heard Shieh Kien wanted to use grappling within the choreography with Lee, and he shunned away from it. The artificial hand was a huge handicap.

There's far more, but I'll let others have their say...

You're absolutely correct about these points and its not the first time those script short comings have been exposed. For instance:

1.) Why would a Shaolin Monk allow himself to be used as an government agent?

2.)With the MA background he had, wouldn't Williams fare better teaming up with Lee, in the finale?

3.)If Oharra was Han's bodyguard, why was he killed so early on? Couldn't he have killed Roper and or Williams to make him seem even more formidable? Or, have Bolo there with him, or eliminate Bolo altogether? Not just that, but, who was Bolo in all of this? THE Executioner?

4.)THE hall of mirrors took away from the square off between Lee and Han. I've heard Shieh Kien wanted to use grappling within the choreography with Lee, and he shunned away from it. The artificial hand was a huge handicap.

There's far more, but I'll let others have their say...

Couple of what I think may be legit answers on these.

1.) He wouldn't :bigsmile:

2.) Jim Kelly can't act for shit and John Saxon was considered star quality. He was just off Joe Kidd, well known television actor etc. No way would a new comer supersede a respected actor in a Hollywood movie at that time.

3.) Oharra had indirectly whacked out Su Lin so he had enough problems. The film, as always, was a vehicle for Lee on the fighting front. Everyone else is window dressing so Oharra's character was just there to get his ass kicked. Bolo essentially is the executioner, I think you're bang on there.

4.) I think the Hall of Mirrors scene is iconic and a brilliant finale. Can you remember the first time you watched it? Like me, you'll have seen it 100's of times but I remember the first time and I was shitting myself. Think I was 10 years old at the time. There had been enough fighting to that point and that scene was perfect. Shieh Kien grappling with Lee would have looked foolish.

My issue was Lee not getting Betty Chung's kit off. I would have had her model the yellow karate outfit, stripped her naked and hung her upside down from the budgie cage. She wouldn't have been feeding Han grapes because she would have been taking it six ways from Sunday.

Who's with me on this?

My issue was Lee not getting Betty Chung's kit off. I would have had her model the yellow karate outfit, stripped her naked and hung her upside down from the budgie cage. She wouldn't have been feeding Han grapes because she would have been taking it six ways from Sunday.

Who's with me on this?

Hehehe, I'm with you there, brother! :tongue:

Archived