Bullet in the Head- English dub?

Phoenix

Could any members let me know if any releases of this film contain the original export dub? I'm not sure if one exists but I vaguely recall a friend buying a foreign VHS bootleg abroad in the 90s and it wasn't the dub on the HKL release.

Or are there any custom / fan versions with a dub? Thanks in advance for any help with this, I really would like to know.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

English Dub is the same on every Release.

Dutch VHS, Dutch DVD. if you watch the English Dub Trailer that is on the Dutch DVD by DFW, you'll notice it has the same Voices as in the Movie Dub. so it can't be a new one. the Trailer even has a Sentence of the Urine Drinking Scene in English ("Cheers!")

i don't think HKL Dub is another one. maybe your memory is fading. it's esy recognizable with the "Hang on Frankie, Frankie Hang on!" at the Begninning. Germans used these Lines too for their dub back then.

Thanks spannick, I really appreciate your reply. I did see the bootleg a long time ago and the tape was not in the best condition so I probably am wrong. It was a weird tape from abroad, even had a few minutes cut so combined with the gap in time my memory must be playing up. Thanks again.

BTW- how did HKL decide what dubs to use, was it due to rights? Since The Killer and other titles seemed to have some of the original dubs but then the kung fu titles often had newer, worse dubs.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Comes down to the cut I think. The original english dubs were mostly provided for the international cut versions back in the day. And since HKL for the most part released the uncut versions, the original dubs would'nt match. Although im sure my old vhs version of crime story with the original english dub is identical in runningtime to the HKL dvd, which has a new dub, so im not sure that my theory holds water in every instance.

Personally I don't get the idea of new english dubs. They are always horrible, and must have cost money. Why not put two versions on?! Like MIA did with their release of God Of Gamblers. The international cut with original english dub, and the longer HK cut with Cantonese.

Comes down to the cut I think. The original english dubs were mostly provided for the international cut versions back in the day. And since HKL for the most part released the uncut versions, the original dubs would'nt match. Although im sure my old vhs version of crime story with the original english dub is identical in runningtime to the HKL dvd, which has a new dub, so im not sure that my theory holds water in every instance.

Personally I don't get the idea of new english dubs. They are always horrible, and must have cost money. Why not put two versions on?! Like MIA did with their release of God Of Gamblers. The international cut with original english dub, and the longer HK cut with Cantonese.

I agree, I think the rights issue might come into it at times, too. Also, I would prefer the original dub, with it reverting to subs for a few scenes for different cuts, rather than the crap new dubs (and they are crap 100% of the time). I know that wouldn't fly for some viewers, though.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Personally, I find it a little irksome when the language changes in the middle of a scene and subtitles kick in. They do that on some of the restored Giallo flicks from Shameless for instance, which I sometimes watch with the english dubs (most dubs for euro movies of this vintage were great). I don't particularly NEED english dubs for foreign flicks (of any kind) though I do enjoy classics dubs for both asian and euro films.

I think up to the early 90's, and then they started to suck.

BTW was there ever an original english dub for Drunken Master 2 (not the the one with Jackie's own voice) or were they done with those by that time.??

yes, there is a GH Dub for DRUNKEN MASTER 2. it was released on DVD by Warner in HK. it's ending with Jackie falling over after the fight. (i don't miss that Ending with the retarded idiot a bit...)

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks, Spannick...

I've asked that question before, but never really got a straight answer. I guess that version is hard to find though.

Funnily enough, the first version of Drunken Master 2 that I saw all those years ago was a foreign bootleg with the GH dub (I think that was it- no international versions were out officially I think). It was missing the train fight though.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Just ordered the hk warner version of DM 2.... apparantly there will never be an ultimate release of this movie, and im tired of waiting.

Just ordered the hk warner version of DM 2.... apparantly there will never be an ultimate release of this movie, and im tired of waiting.

The HK release doesn't have English subs, does it?

Know it has the export dub.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Nope, sadly no subs. Just bought it for the original english dub. Like I said, tired of waiting for a decent release of this.

Son Of A Gun

My problem with that original Eng dub on DM2 is during some fight scenes or maybe all fights scenes, the voice of Jackie's character mutes out the sound effects, like kicks and punches. Or should I say drowns them out. They go quiet to make way for the speaking.

The scene Im thinking of is when Jackie gets drunk in the village market area and fights all those bad guys, whilst naming the Drunken technique he's using.

:tongue:

My problem with that original Eng dub on DM2 is during some fight scenes or maybe all fights scenes, the voice of Jackie's character mutes out the sound effects, like kicks and punches. Or should I say drowns them out. They go quiet to make way for the speaking.

The scene Im thinking of is when Jackie gets drunk in the village market area and fights all those bad guys, whilst naming the Drunken technique he's using.

:tongue:

There's also that minor problem in virtually all Chinese versions of DM2 where the music stops momentarily while Jackie smashes the table. Think my old vhs is the only version I've had where it plays continuously.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The disservice and disrespect to this movie by any and every dvd label that has touched it, is beyond me. It should have had the platinum treatment a loooong time ago!!!

Can anyone please tell me the difference between the yellow cover Bullet in the Head 2 disc HKL and the one with the grey cover? They're both the special edition but with different covers and release dates.

I still have the Drunken Master 2 VCD, I think.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I have the yellow one, and the sleeve says Platinum Edition, and has over 5 hour of bonus material. Never seen that other one.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between the yellow cover Bullet in the Head 2 disc HKL and the one with the grey cover? They're both the special edition but with different covers and release dates.

Original and revised artwork is my best guess. I doubt there's any difference between the discs themselves.

Winners & Sinners, for example. Original (which I prefer) and revised artwork:

winners.jpg

winnersandsinnersr2artpic1.jpg

Thanks guys, I was confused because I found a dead page online with different file sizes for the releases, so I thought some of the features on one of the discs may have been reauthored.

It is quite hard to find the right releases for some of our favourite films, it gets very confusing. Unlike popping into HMV and just buying a copy of Rocky IV or whatever.

It is possible they released a single disc version with no features and different artwork. They did it with Naked Weapon.

Thing is, both releases are listed as the 2 disc version online. I think they did have a single disc release ages ago, not sure though. It all gets very confusing unless you ask someone who owns every version.

Archived