Movie Sequels & Trilogies

daisho2004

OK I'm just curious with Hollywood & HK Cinema making movie Sequels & Trilogies which do you think were some of the best & worst ones ever made? I'm going to start off my list:

Jaws - The original was a classic pt. #2 was OK but the rest just plain sucked Ass!

Star Wars - What can be said the 1st 3 are all time classics! The last 3 were OK but nowhere near his original 3 movies.

Indiana Jones - I loved this character the 1st. movie was the best the 2nd. was the weakest the 3rd I thought was very good the 4th. was just flatout stupid!

Blade - Now I did enjoy the storyline in these movies the 1st. one being the best the 2nd. one was good, but what the Hell did they do with the last one!?

LOTR - Epic & Awesome enough said!

Fast & the Furious - Now I've only seen the 1st. movie and bits of the other ones didn't care for them at all. Still have pt.5 never watched it yet!

Rambo - OK who doesn't like Rambo? But pt.3 garbage!

Die Hard - The original was the best and it should've just stayed that way! I hated the rest of the series!

Rocky - Tough call the 1st. one was the best! The rest had there moments as well. Rocky 5 should just be removed out of this series!

Aliens - Theses are great films the 1st. 2 movies are the best the other ones are OK but nowhere near on the level as the original 2 movies.

Underworld - Loved the 1st. 3 movies the 4th. one was a total disappointment to me they changed around what the original storyline was suppose to be.

Twilight Saga - I will say these are good movies more gear towards a younger Audience, I mean I like anything to do with Vampires & Werewolves.

The Terminator - What can be said great movies although pt.3 was the weakest. they made up for that with pt. 4!

Alien vs. Predator - OK I did enjoy both of these movies, some people hated them.

Predator - 1st. one was a classic the rest were OK had there moments.

Transformers - The 1st. movie was the Bomb the rest just straight up BOMBED!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Batman Begins - All three films are modern classics. Part 1 and 3 have some flaws but they easily get away with it.

A Fistful of Dollars - Three films that spawned a dozen of copy-cat films. Nuff said.

The Godfather - First two films went down in history as absolute classics. Part 3 is no where near as masterfully crafted as the first two but it's still very good.

Police Story - First three films classics, rest real disappointing.

Ip Man - Part 1 is a masterpiece and Part 2 falls behind but just slightly in my opinion. Will be interesting to see where they take Part 3 with the use of 3D.

Once Upon a Time in China - Part 1 and 2 define the series. Part 3 is really cool but the rest are forgettable.

Infernal Affairs - 1 and 2 are essential. Part 3 while very good itself shouldn't have been made.

A Better Tomorrow - Part 1 still has an important place for me in terms of HK Cinema. Part 2 feature great action scenes but the story is too superficial and self-parodied to be taken seriously. Haven't seen Part 3 yet but it doesn't look very appealing.

This is an interesting topic. Lets see:

IP Man Films: I put IP Man 1&2 and IP Man: The legend is Born together because they are all pretty similar and work as a series. All are great films.

House: Both are excellant comedy/horror films (Hope everyone has heard of these)

Halloween: The original two are good, the rest and the remakes are really bad.

Nightmare on Elm Street: The orignal and the third(I believe) are good, the rest are bad.

Friday the 13th: They are all really bad films

Evil Dead: Great trillogy of films.

Back to the future: Another great trillogy of films

Nolan's Batman Films: all are excellant films.

That is all I can think of at the moment:nerd:

Twilight Saga - I will say these are good movies more gear towards a younger Audience, I mean I like anything to do with Vampires & Werewolves.

Just noticed that you put "Twilight" and "good movies" in the same sentence

I guess you really do like anything to do with Vampires & Werewolves. No offence

@DarthKato: Don't get me wrong I enjoyed watching them but I will never call them great movies they were good. In a different teenage style of Vampire/ Werewolf movies.

OK a few more:

Batman - Now I did enjoy the Tim Burton's movies as well as the rest some were weak but it was still Batman. Christopher Nolan's were the best!

Spiderman - I did enjoy these as well the last Sam Raimi one should've been the best but he had way to much going on! He should have just made a Spiderman vs. Venom movie! The new one I thought was excellent as well.

X-Men - I did enjoy all of these movies, The Last Stand could've been so much better as well, I felt we as fans were let down.

Superman - Tough one the 1st. 2 movies were great the rest were watchable.

The Bourne Trilogy - I enjoyed all of these movies and the new one looks off the hook but we shall review after I see.

James Bond - Now I grew up watching Bond movies and I still enjoy them but a few movies just sucked where the rest are great.

The Man with No Name Trilogy aka Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Westerns - Great Films, Classics!

OK now some Asian movies:

Lone Wolf & Cub - Great series the last one was the only one I was disappointed with.

Zatoichi - What can be said AWESOME!

IP Man Films - Great movies.

@DarthKato Hey House 2 go hard. "Your doing great Jess ahowu!" to himself "huh ha what an idiot" Gramps was a G even past the day that he died.<-- (Pun on a rap song)

Never Back Down 2

Is my Favorite sequel.

Matrix Trilogy

Undisputed Trilogy

Ong Bak Trilogy

@DarthKato Hey House 2 go hard. "Your doing great Jess ahowu!" to himself "huh ha what an idiot" Gramps was a G even past the day that he died.<-- (Pun on a rap song)

LOL!!!:xd:

Guest Diablo

Rocky - Tough call the 1st. one was the best! The rest had there moments as well. Rocky 5 should just be removed out of this series!

The first one was the greatest. I also really liked the sixth and fourth ones. The fifth is pretty bad. The rest are completely forgettable. I like a lot trilogies so I'll just name one I have seen mentioned yet-The 36th Chamber Trilogy.

Drunken Monk

Evil Dead - The first film is dismal and dated and the second and third film are great slices of comedy horror that surpass the first by miles.

Alien - I used to think "Aliens" was the best but recently revisited the original. Both are fantastic, with the sequel definitely being one for action fans. "Alien 3" is a bit of a mess and "Alien Resurrection" is flat out silly.

Blade - "Blade 2" is, by far, the best of the series. The first and third film are both entertaining bar their horrible endings/villains.

Die Hard - All are terribly enjoyable films. Yep, including the fourth one. The first will forever be the best, though.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - Other than the first one, these are pretty dire.

Lethal Weapon - One of the most solid series ever made. The third stumbles a little, but I really do love each and every one of them.

Shaolin Temple - First and third films are superb, with the first still being my favourite. The second is entertaining but is definitely the odd one out.

Toy Story - Most consistent series ever? Each one is better than the last. I'd be surprised if anyone can find a better animated kids' film than "Toy Story 3."

TibetanWhiteCrane

I take issue with some of the above statements....

These are of course just MY opinions....

One of my favourite movies of all time is Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom. In my book, THE best adventure movie ever made. I never got the disdain for this movie... even by Spielberg and Lucas themselves. I love 1 and 3 as well. 4 does not exist.

Rambo 3 is not garbage. Is it the least good of the original trilogy... yes. Is it slightly marred by the irony of shifting political winds since its release... sure. But it is still a kickass 80's action flick any way you look at it.

Die Hard 2 is a solid entry in the series. Might not be as tightly written, or as clever as the first one, but it has better action! Part 3 is, at best, watchable. And part 4 doesn't exist.

.... and neither does the Star Wars prequels for that matter....

The Rocky series got gradually better movie by movie, untill part 5. Yes, the first two entries are award winners and serious, and dramatic and la di da... but do they have the all out 80's vibe and entertainment value of 3 and 4... heeeell no! Those are iconic flicks. 5 was pretty weak. 6 doesn't exist.

Friday The 13th... all bad films??? are you on crack... that's classic 80's horror. From the original to Jason Takes Manhattan... I love em' all... anything after that... feel free to bash.

A Nightmare On Elm Street... original... good. 2 pretty bad. 3 aaaawesome. 4 aaaawesome, though a little less so. 5 pretty good.... and the rest I can't be bothered with.

[quote=TibetanWhiteCrane;196011

Friday The 13th... all bad films??? are you on crack... that's classic 80's horror. From the original to Jason Takes Manhattan... I love em' all... anything after that... feel free to bash.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay....I'm going to be here a while.

The Planet of the Apes film series

I grew up with these and I love each and every one of them though the 5th one (Battle for...) is the weakest. Yeah, they're a bit dated now but then....:nerd:

Jaws

Never watched any of them all the way through. Only caught snippets over the years, really. Not my cup of tea. Like I really need one more reason to be a landlubber.

Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street/Scream

Creepy but not really all that scary to me. I hated being made to jump at nothing. And the middle 2 series just got way out of hand as far as I'm concerned.

Rocky/Rambo

I liked some of the Rocky's. The 3rd and 4th ones were a stretch to me. I'm actually a fan of the 5th one; love the alley fight at the end. Never saw the Balboa one. Rambo is the better franchise as far as I'm concerned. The 3rd was nuts. Me and a buddy tried to keep a running body count and were almost at 200 when he blew up a truck full of troops, so who knows after that. But I loved the last one. A great end for a tortured character.

Indiana Jones

Love the 1st 3. Never saw the latest one, looked lame. Never knew TOD had haters. That's crazy. "Hey, lady, you call him Dr. Jones!"

Alien(s)

My wife's a fan. Not to my taste.

Star Wars

This will no doubt rile the purists but I can't really understand all the love for the 1st trilogy. I mean it's great and all, but I don't think it holds up. I'd kind like to see it get a treatment. To me, the 2nd trilogy is so much better in story, action, and f/x.

The Matrix trilogy

I love 'em! The 3rd one...I wasn't initially too happy with it, but it's grown on me over the years.

Pitch Black/The Riddick Chronicles

Love 'em! They need to hurry up and get a 3rd out already.

The Harry Potter series

Okay, these are just boss! And I've only seen up to the 5th one....I think. But they're just cool.

Let's break for a moment.....

ShaOW!linDude

Continuing on....

The Twilight/Underworld series

Truly, my preference is for Underworld. I get the appeal of Twilight but the action just isn't there. Still, the stories are okay. My wife likes it, but she's an Underworld fan, too. But let's face it, for films about vampires and werewolves, neither deliver any real scares.

The Evil Dead trilogy

Okay, these rock! Yes, the 1st one doesn't really stack up to the following 2. But try watching it in the mid-80's in the dead of night while stationed in Germany in a 50 yr old WW2 building on the 3rd floor with all the lights out like I did. I had to pause the film occasionally to go investigate all the noises and shadows with a flashlight. And Bruce Campbell's performance as a man on the brink of a nervous breakdown was fantastic.

28 Days/Weeks Later

Holy Freakin' Cow! Nuff said! (Well, I'll add that a theatrical viewing of the 1st one led to the discovery of an encased tumor in the kidney of a good friend of mine.)

Pirates of the Caribbean franchise

Got to love Capt. Jack Sparrow. I don't get all the fuss about the 3rd installment. I think they're all great. Recently saw On Stranger Tides, thought it was a solid effort. Looking forward to more. Just wish there was a little more sword-fighting.

Okay, break.

ShaOW!linDude

Finally....

The Lethal Weapon franchise

Great, just great! The 2nd one is a struggle in places for me but it works.

Rush Hour(s)

I love the 1st two. The 3rd has its moments but, yeah, it could've been better. Still, I like it.

Shanghai Noon/Knights

Love these. Need a 3rd already! (What would that one be called? Shanghai 9 a.m.?)

The Bourne films

Yeah, we all gripe about the awful camera work but barring that, these films are awesome! Great plot and action and stunts.

The Bond films

I'm a Connery/Craig fan. I find those to be the best. I like Brosnan's turn though I didn't see his last one. I like Moore's early Bond movies but they started getting campy. Dalton? Meh.

Mission(s): Impossible

I've only seen the 1st three. I find the 1st to be the weakest as far as action goes but it's got a great finale. I enjoy them very much.

Best of the Best 1-4

Phillip Rhee rules!!! Some great choreography in all of these and that more than makes up for Eric Roberts' presence and the weak plot points in some.

Nolan's Batman

I definitely prefer these to any other version of Batman. Still, the depiction of Batman as a detective and boss fighter really doesn't come across. But they are the best written and character developed so far. And the f/x are astounding!

Blade

1 & 2 are aces! The 3rd....has its moments but I don't know.....the dismal end fight kind of was a letdown. Do a 4th and redeem it.

The Transporter franchise

Again, 1 & 2 are aces! The 3rd sucked! Do a 4th and redeem it, too.

Superman (Christopher Reeve)

I hate every one of them except for the 2nd. Without a proper villain for Supes to duke it out with, why bother? I saw the 1st at the theater as a kid and I was irate. I wanted my money back. Well...I wanted my dad's money back.

The Xmen trilogy

I love them for what they are, even the 3rd. Can't really see anyone but Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Good action, just needed more of it.

Iron-Man(s)

Robert Downey, Jr. owns that role! Love 'em! Do another already!

Sam Raimi's Spider-man franchise

Okay, I'm a purist when it comes to Spidey. The Green Goblin in armor? Wrong! But a great film. The 2nd is the best by far! I like the 3rd. Yeah, it's busy but it's good. Now....I don't see what all the fuss is about Venom except that he appears late in the film. And to me, he's not the best Spidey villain anyway. Didn't really care for him in the comics, either. I just don't get why folks think he's so cool. Anyhow, the 3 make a great set of the character and they were all far better than I initially thought they would be, so I'm good.

Alright, I'm done.

Star Wars

This will no doubt rile the purists but I can't really understand all the love for the 1st trilogy. I mean it's great and all, but I don't think it holds up. I'd kind like to see it get a treatment. To me, the 2nd trilogy is so much better in story, action, and f/x.

The Matrix trilogy

I love 'em! The 3rd one...I wasn't initially too happy with it, but it's grown on me over the years..

On Star Wars-I never thought I would hear(well read) those words from another living soul. I whole-heartedly agree with this statement. I love the original, but people tend to go over-board on how great it really is. All the while, bashing a great follow up, that improves on so much.

On The Matrix- Also agree with you( as the article on my Blog would suggest)

Continuing on....

The Twilight/Underworld series

Truly, my preference is for Underworld. I get the appeal of Twilight but the action just isn't there. Still, the stories are okay. My wife likes it, but she's an Underworld fan, too. But let's face it, for films about vampires and werewolves, neither deliver any real scares..

Don't like Twilight at all. I think it will really hurt the image of vampires and werewolfs(just like interview with the vampire did.)

I love the Underworld films thought.:smile:

The Transporter franchise

Again, 1 & 2 are aces! The 3rd sucked! Do a 4th and redeem it, too.

Sam Raimi's Spider-man franchise

Okay, I'm a purist when it comes to Spidey. The Green Goblin in armor? Wrong! But a great film. The 2nd is the best by far! I like the 3rd. Yeah, it's busy but it's good. Now....I don't see what all the fuss is about Venom except that he appears late in the film. And to me, he's not the best Spidey villain anyway. Didn't really care for him in the comics, either. I just don't get why folks think he's so cool. Anyhow, the 3 make a great set of the character and they were all far better than I initially thought they would be, so I'm good..

Should have listened when you warned me about Transporter 3. Terriable friggin movie.

Agree 100% on the Spidey films( as the article on my blog will once again show)

Guest Markgway

Jaws - Original is a classic, sequels got progressively worse, and sillier, especially The Revenge.

Star Wars - The original trilogy (most overrated) were fun adventure movies, no more. Haven't bothered with the sequels since I could get more than a third of the way thru The Phantom Menace.

Indiana Jones - Big fan of Raiders and Last Crusade, Temple is quite good, they shouldn't have bothered with the disappointing Kingdom Skull.

Blade - First one was OK, never seen the sequels.

LOTR - Never seen any of them.

Fast & the Furious - Only watched 4 and 5 because they were straight action movies rather than (yawn) car movies. They were decent.

Rambo - The original trilogy was extremely uneven. None of the films were as good as their central character. The new Rambo finally hit the target.

Die Hard - Love Die Hard, enjoyed all of the sequels, even 4.

Rocky - My faves are 3 and 4, but I don't dislike any of them, even though I think Balboa was a bit overrated.

Aliens - First 3 are all good, didn't care for Ressurection. Not seen either of the AVP spin-offs.

Underworld - First was a bit better than I expected, 2nd less so. Not seen 3 or 4.

Twilight Saga - Doubt I could stomach these tweenie rom-horrors.

The Terminator - First two are classics, 3 wasn't too bad, 4 slightly better than that (can't believe McG made a competant film!)

Predator - First is best, 2 almost as good, Predators OK, but a distant third.

Transformers - No intention of watching these.

Batman Begins - First and best, not a fan of The Dark Knight.

A Fistful of Dollars - Trilogy got progressively better, but none are as good as OUATITW.

The Godfather - Only seen the original, but I was a kid, so don't have much of an opinion on it.

Police Story - Original is great, 2 and 3 fine, actually I was entertained by First Strike too, only New PS let the side down.

Ip Man - First film was very strong, sequel silly and cartoonish.

Once Upon a Time in China - First two are HK classics, the rest are just OK-ish.

Infernal Affairs - Should've left it alone after the first. Still prefer it to The Departed.

A Better Tomorrow - 1 is classic, 2 dumb, but has great action, 3 is quite good.

House - Saw the first when I was a kid, that's it.

Halloween - First 2 are good slashers, 3 it's own thing, 4 surprisingly decent, 5 a step down, 6 even more so, 7 adequate, but pointless, 8 blah, the remake piss poor.

Nightmare on Elm Street - 1,3 and 7 (New Nightmare) are the series best, 2 is underrated, 4 fun, 5 not as bad as some suggest, 6 every bit as bad as some suggest. Freddy Vs Jason I saw when it came out but can barely remember. The remake, though flawed, I appreciated more than most it seems.

Friday the 13th - Series varies from boring (1) to unexpectedly enjoyable (6). The remake is rubbish.

Evil Dead - Not a massive fan of these, but I'd say 2 is the best blend overall.

Back to the future - Been ages, but I used to like these as a kid.

Batman - Tim Burton's reboot hasn't aged well, Returns is my fave Bat film, the Shoemaker ones are best forgotten.

Spiderman - First was good, second fair (I wasn't blown away like most), haven't seen the 3rd.

X-Men - First was fine, haven't seen any other entry.

Superman - I haven't yet seen a Superman movie I've liked... and I've seen them all. Maybe I just don't like Superman?

The Bourne Trilogy - Original is good, could've lived without the headache-inducing sequels.

James Bond - I'm a confirmed Bond fan. Too many to go into detail, but In love early Connery, Dalton's era, and Craig's reboots. Low point the early 70s camp comedy phase.

Lone Wolf & Cub - Have seen the first couple, I think, never really got itno them.

Zatoichi - Again, only seen a couple, but didn't do much for me.

Lethal Weapon - First two are very cool, 3rd fine, 4 below par (apart from Jet Li).

Shaolin Temple - First two are very good, 3rd not so much.

Toy Story - Not seen the 3rd, but I enjoyed the first two for what they were (not a fan of animation or kids movies) so that must say something as to their quality.

Honestly this is really a good topic it shows a lot of our different takes on films, me I'm a Die Hard Stars Wars Fan of the 1st. Trilogy, the 2nd. trilogy sucked with Ja Ja Binks I think everyone can agree on that! That was the Biggest mistake that George Lucas made! While I did like some of the new Characters the last film Revenge of the Sith was there best one in this trilogy, it was Darker and the final Transformation of Anakin to Vader was Classic!

Planet of the Apes loved them!

Pitch Black - I thought was a great SyFy movie! The Riddick Chronicles I thought sucked!

Infernal Affairs - I loved this trilogy.

The Evil Dead - 1st One is a Classic! I haven't seen the 2nd. movie in so long but when I seen it as a teenager I hated it!

Pirates of the Caribbean - The 1st one was Great the 2nd one was good but 3 & 4 sucked Ass!

The Harry Potter series Honestly I got mixed feelings about these movies, I loved the 1st. 3 movies but the rest lost there fizzle to me!

ShaOW!linDude
Honestly this is really a good topic it shows a lot of our different takes on films, me I'm a Die Hard Stars Wars Fan of the 1st. Trilogy, the 2nd. trilogy sucked with Ja Ja Binks I think everyone can agree on that! That was the Biggest mistake that George Lucas made!

I can disagree with that statement in 4 words: Ewoks and a puppet Yoda.

I find Ewoks to be just as equally annoying as Jar Jar, and I'll take a CGI Yoda over a Henson puppet one any day.:nerd:

I can disagree with that statement in 4 words: Ewoks and a puppet Yoda.

I find Ewoks to be just as equally annoying as Jar Jar, and I'll take a CGI Yoda over a Henson puppet one any day.

@ShaOW!linDude - OK Yes I didn't care for the Ewoks either! And the CGI Yoda was better.

Here we go:

Star Wars: There's a lot of talk about the originals being overrated, but you have to understand that they broke the mold on what was possible in the 70s. Simple story, yes. But entertaining as hell. Ewoks vs. Jar Jar...it just depends on your P.O.D. aka, Point of Discovery. Since I watched the originals as a kid, I loved ewoks, and that stays with you i guess. Watch Barney's presentation about Ewok theory. It starts at 40 seconds in:

xzZYanCQyHo

Mission Impossible: The original show was about pulling a brilliant con and about a perfectly in-sync team. The first film gives a perfect homage to this in the opening, then steers in its own direction. Still a good film with a great finale. The second is just a action film, though it is good action. The third has some big epic thrills in it. However, the fourth is truly the greatest. It is about the team, not about Cruise. It also has some great classic moments of tension during the con in the middle of the movie. This one truly nailed the spirit of the old show.

Indiana Jones: Classic franchise, but 4 wasn't needed.

Blade: First and second movie are very good. Snowman needs a prequel film. Too bad they tried to make spin-off characters in the third.

LOTR: Best trilogy ever

Fast & the Furious: Most films are just okay, but the fifth was surprisingly awesome.

Rambo: First film was actually about something important. The next two weren't. The fourth was actually quite good...especially if you enjoy watching people turn to soup.

Die Hard: I actually like the fourth one, though it hasn't gotten much love. The first is classic.

Rocky: First: classic. The rest were just okay. Rocky Balboa (6) was boring. It's all just, "hey, remember when we did that thing? That was awesome." The fifth would have made a better ending. That street fight I remember being pretty good.

Alien: As usual, the first is classic. But the second was epic. I grew up watching this amazing film over and over again. Third is decent. I'm okay with it. Fourth is disappointing, but still had a few good moments. Too bad the director didn't understand Joss Whedon's script. Prometheus bring the whole franchise back to relevance again, because it was amazing.

Underworld: Haven't seen them!

Twilight Saga: First film was enough for me!

The Terminator: I like the intimacy of the first film and the epic-ness of the 2nd. They make a good one-two punch. Shouldn't have bothered with 3 and 4. The franchise is on hold now until somebody not James Cameron can do something good with it.

Alien vs. Predator: meh.

Predator: First, good. Second was actually okay, though it doesn't get a lot of love.

Transformers: First was alright, the third actually had the coolest plot I thought. Though it doesn't at all jive with the events that came before it.

Batman: Nolan's trilogy might be the greatest superhero trilogy ever. All three are consistent in their high quality, though there are some plot problems and conveniences to help move things forward. It doesn't matter because the story is so good. The third film truly completed the arc in brilliant fashion.

Superman: Donner's 78 original was good. The sequel is good too, but I prefer the Richard Donner cut, not Lester's version. The reboot didn't do much. The Man of Steel I don't have much interest in right now.

James Bond: Grew up watching these. Basically, 60s; good decade for Bond films, 70s; more misses than hits, 80s; more hits than misses, 90s; decent, but getting lost in the sea of big budget action pictures, 2000s; mojo recovered. The reboot films rock so far.

Archived