How do you prefer your Carter Wong: "Evil or Good"?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Carter Wong in his very productive film career played at first heroes then he went to the bad side of the force.

I like my Carter Wong served well done and bad to the bone?

He is to me ONE of a handful of the best villains in kung fu movies. Mainly because he IS a martial arts master whose intensity is second to none.

Your choice please.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I'm probably going to upset a lot of people by saying that, along with John Liu, Carter Wong is one of my most disliked martial arts stars. I find him to be wooden and blocky (perhaps this is down to choreography?) and instantly forgettable.

With that said, there is one film in which I really enjoy his performance and that's "Born Invincible." In fact, I love him in that film.

So, I suppose you could say I prefer him as a villain.

As a hero, he usually got beaten up or killed, or rescued by another fighter, Angela Mao, Ho Chung Tao, or Shaw Stars...

Wait! I think he was just killed again!

:smile:

ShaOW!linDude

I have to agree with DM. Whenever I consider a film for purchase, if Carter Wong is in it in any sort of lead role, I typically avoid it (though there have been exceptions).

Ever since I learned he was to be in GAME OF DEATH, I wondered how his Karate was going to look under Lee's direction.

EVIL

most likely my brain typecast him as a child when my first encounter with him was facing off against the great Kurt Russell :xd:

Carter Wong became a household name where I grew up with his role in The 18 Bronzemen (this movie was huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) his earlier supporting roles before this major one gave him average recognition but nothing special)

He played a similar role in The Blazing Temple which was also appreciated.Then he did those David Lin collaborations making him more popular.

He stole the show in Born Invincible, The Legendary Strike etc etc but he was actually preferred as a hero. I'm personally torn between his good and bad roles because both for me in many instances are quite entertaining

It may sound strange, however, I liked the roles he played in both THE TOURNAMENT and THE OPIUM TRAIL co-starring Angela Mao, and THE SKYHAWK, with Kwan Tak Hing. He was a decent lead in these films.

Good Guy: I have only seen a few of his films, but I thought he did well as the hero. I could see him being good in vilian roles though. I guess I really need to see more of his films.

Archived