The Legendary Srike, a masterpiece w/ some disagreements.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Just watched the movie: 'The Legendary Strike'.

This was one of my favorites from my youth. A real treasure for me to see again.

A (TRUE) masterpiece! :wink:

I read Mark Pollard's wonderful review, but I disagree w/ a few of his points..

Here I quote from Mark's review:

"Wong Fung, who previously directed many of Angela Mao’s early classics including Hapkido (1972) and the George Lazenby crossover Stoner (1974), puts these and other Wong Fung, who previously directed many of Angela Mao’s early classics including Hapkido (1972) and the George Lazenby crossover Stoner (1974), puts these and other notable stunt actors, including Kam Kong and long-time Jackie Chan associate Mars, through their paces in a series of dynamic fights that may not stack up to the best of Lau Kar-leung or Sammo Hung, but are certainly , but are certainly".

I have two disagreements with his assessments.

1. And I quote:"puts these stunt actors, including Kam Kong".

My disagreement here is that Kam Kong is (NOT) a "stunt" actor, IMO he is one of the great stars of the kung fu movies, who can do anything....to (me) Kam Kong is not a stunt actor.

2. And I quote: "notable stunt actors, including Kam Kong and long-time Jackie Chan associate Mars, through their paces in a series of dynamic fights that may not stack up to the best of Lau Kar-leung or Sammo Hung".

My disagreement is his statement .

" that may not stack up to the best of Lau Kar-leung or Sammo Hung".

Here I graciously disagree w/ Mark, on Lau Kar-Leung's choreography being better than Legendary Fighter. I choose to leave Sammo out of this discussion. I am speaking strickly of Pop's at Shaw Brothers.

I say this movie and its kung fu choreography is: "Much more intense than (most) of Lau Kar Leung's work"! Because it is much more realistic and not (Peking Opera) looking as Shaw's can appear to be because of being filmed in a studio setting.

Legendary Strike's fights to me are the epitome of the era.

I also love the beautiful scenes (ALL) filmed outdoors which adds to ITS flavor.

My Point is, I think, I sway more for the realism of Taiwanese kung fu movies than Shaw Brothers, after watching this favorite.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yang Wu Liang

Some good kung fu in this but the ending let's it down a bit imo (I won't spoil it). I agree with what you're saying about Taiwanese films though mate, the Taiwanese scenery really enhances these movies.

NoForAnAnswer

I bought this one from Tai Seng on VHS years ago. Haven't watched it in a long time, I remember it being one of the best of the bunch I ordered at the time. Surely time for a re-watch now.

Archived