Major Price Slash over at Amazon on Shaw R1s!

Sandpalm79

Just saw this over at Amazon and clicked on about 5 Shaws. they are all 5.99! not sure if this is a temporary sale or the new price. either way id grab em while they are dirt cheap!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056OZHZS/ Blood Brothers

Blood Brothers

David Chiang (Actor), Lung Ti (Actor), Cheh Chang (Director) | Rated: NR | Format: DVD

3.5 out of 5 stars

Price: $5.99

In Stock.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Price drop on the Dragon Dynasty titles & it is not only Amazon

Some are currently cheaper on Best Buy - $4.99 sale

Avenging Eagles

5 Shaolin Masters

Blood Brothers

Flying Guillotine

The Golden Swallow

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

An Empress & The Warrior & A Battle Of Wits are $5.99.

If you can get the DD box sets then do that instead. They are cheaper than buying the discs separately. A great deal now for sure. I just wish that some of the other Region 1 Shaws were this cheap; though some of them are cheaper than what they were.

Ya good call. the box sets are awesome price wise and in general. i am still waiting counting the minutes for masked avengers R1. i cant remember if its media blasters or who had that title but i need that in R1 from hd master! with english dub.

Are all the companies closing shop? i hope media blasters is still alive. seems drgon dynasty is doing ok, although i miss bey logan's involvement

Dragon Dynasty has not released anything in quite a while. The website is dormant. At least Media Blasters recently revamped its website. http://www.media-blasters.com/main/ Latest update was this past week. Media Blasters is still releasing dvds, still buying rights to Asian films. But not very many people are buying Shaw Brothers dvds, not enough to justify the release of any more of them in the U.S. This info is from someone at the Media Blasters (Sam Goody) table in the Comic-Con dealers room earlier this month.

Consider the poor response to the Well Go USA release of Duel of Fists and Swordsman and Enchantress on dvd last April. OK, they weren't the good quality releases that fans demand, but if the message Well Go gets is - the fans won't buy these because the fans expect better - why should Wall Go USA release any more Shaw titles either?

OK, they weren't the good quality releases that fans demand, but if the message Well Go gets is - the fans won't buy these because the fans expect better - why should Wall Go USA release any more Shaw titles either?

Or they could actually make an effort to release something fans want.

Originally Posted by Sandpalm79

Are all the companies closing shop? i hope media blasters is still alive. seems drgon dynasty is doing ok, although i miss bey logan's involvement

Er... you haven't followed any debates on this platform for a good lil' while, haven't you? Seems like most companies are closing shop (at least most of the ones that readers of this forum would care about!) and DD's been silent for about a year and a half by now...

Originally Posted by whitesnake

Consider the poor response to the Well Go USA release of Duel of Fists and Swordsman and Enchantress on dvd last April. OK, they weren't the good quality releases that fans demand, but if the message Well Go gets is - the fans won't buy these because the fans expect better - why should Wall Go USA release any more Shaw titles either?

With or without sorting out the aspect ratio problems of said releases, since most “fans” presumably download those kind of bare-bone releases nowadays, I’m convinced the likes of WellGo USA would have lost money anyway. And as for MB, I always suspected that their immaculately fan-friendly Shaw range never found the amount of buyers needed to make the whole exercise at least half-way worthwhile. And aren’t the price slashes for those out-sourced Dragon Dynasty titles more than a confirmation that its truly GAME OVER as far as any further Shaw R 1 releases are concerned? All those ever-popular “give the fans what they ask for and all is well” ramblings sound increasingly spooky and stale at this time.

Damn,, ya ive been out of the loop for about a year or so. That sucks. I just wish i could get masked avengers as i stated with english dub in true Hd quality ( without the pal transfer issues)

But im sure we all have the " one that got away" movie now.. Didnt dragon dynasty go dormant once before than came back to life? even with bey logan returning for a moment? i cant recall..

also im not sure how much of it is the genre specific issue that is inherent in sales or the fact Dvd sales are dropping across the board. maybe a little bit of both...

cmon companies, release the entire rest of the catalogue on BLU RAY and call it a day!

Do these have the English Dubbed version on it? And in Avenging Eagles they still have the missing fight between when Fu Sheng tries to kick Ku Feng on the stairs and when Ti Lung and Fu Sheng come at Ku with the double team.That Sucks! I wanna know why that scene is missing for!?

Do these have the English Dubbed version on it? And in Avenging Eagles they still have the missing fight between when Fu Sheng tries to kick Ku Feng on the stairs and when Ti Lung and Fu Sheng come at Ku with the double team.That Sucks! I wanna know why that scene is missing for!?

Im the first to admit i dont know nearly as much as others on here but as far as i know that 1 minute that was cut from the last fight is cut in the region 1s and all the celestial releases. starting with the Ivl region 3 ( where we first saw it) I dont think anyone ever got an answer as to what happened but the guesses i saw were it was cut because the filmstrip was too damaged at that part. or maybe a reel is permanantly lost. either way sucks one of the most beloved shaws is remastered amazingly but now is missing a minute or so during the climax..

I havent seen golden swallow but almost all the movies on that list of dragon dynastys ( that are at 5.99) they all have the english dub. Enjoy!

Guest Markgway

My guess would be that the footage was damaged worse than normal and rather than take the extra time to restore it Celestial decided to just take it out. Not like anyone's gonna notice, right...?

(Not to bring up the painful past)....but...sadly, that`s not the only one that has been nipped n tucked. Executioners from Shaolin is missing the odd bit. And, one of the other fan favorites had a sequence that was put back in the wrong location in the movie. Can`t remember if it was Masked Avengers or Flag of Iron. Human Lanterns R1 may be the most complete version of that film released yet. However, the original R3 release was edited for content. I think that some people were saying that there are some scenes in one that are not in the other and vice versa(as if we had 2 different prints of the movie remastered instead of the original print edited for content). But, otherwise, it seems that all the other SB remastered movies are the same versions in both R1 and R3.

(I always wondered about their whole remaster process. Even though there use to be a good article floating around that went into detail the process they used. But, the question remains...who edited the original films? The edits that I am talking about are censored scenes and not stuff cut due to print damage. It is known that the Shaws made broadcast beta prints back in the day. So, were the original films (negatives) edited by Shaws then transferred to beta. Or, was the editing done on the beta tapes? The oddity being Human Lanterns with its 2 different cuts remastered.)

(Not to bring up the painful past)....but...sadly, that`s not the only one that has been nipped n tucked. Executioners from Shaolin is missing the odd bit. And, one of the other fan favorites had a sequence that was put back in the wrong location in the movie. Can`t remember if it was Masked Avengers or Flag of Iron. Human Lanterns R1 may be the most complete version of that film released yet. However, the original R3 release was edited for content. I think that some people were saying that there are some scenes in one that are not in the other and vice versa(as if we had 2 different prints of the movie remastered instead of the original print edited for content). But, otherwise, it seems that all the other SB remastered movies are the same versions in both R1 and R3.

(I always wondered about their whole remaster process. Even though there use to be a good article floating around that went into detail the process they used. But, the question remains...who edited the original films? The edits that I am talking about are censored scenes and not stuff cut due to print damage. It is known that the Shaws made broadcast beta prints back in the day. So, were the original films (negatives) edited by Shaws then transferred to beta. Or, was the editing done on the beta tapes? The oddity being Human Lanterns with its 2 different cuts remastered.)

The sequence you are refering to is Kid with the golden arm. it was confusing tho cause some people thought it made sense both ways. to their credit the R1 release let you choose which order you wanted at the beginning! i thought that ruled..

what was missing from executioners??! and is the R1 complete?

Lastly there is a video that shows the restoration process, which it seems youve seen. Not sure who besides larry bensky would have edited these masterpieces :-)

Blood Brothers for 5.99 is a good deal, Blood Brothers and Avenging Eagle two pack for 5.00 at Wal-Mart is a better deal.

I picked up both the Shaw two packs for a total of $10 and they ship to store for free. I'm not usually a big Wal-Mart fan but its hard to beat that deal.

Do they have the English Dubbed Audio track on them? I will say on the old SB movies I love the Dubbed versions.

Do they have the English Dubbed Audio track on them? I will say on the old SB movies I love the Dubbed versions.

Think you missed my eaarlier response. Yes they have the dubs :smile2:

Archived