Box office Sales of Shaws?

Sandpalm79

So i searched in here and on google a bunch and cant find anything on this topic: Can someone provide or link me to a Shaw brothers say top 25 movies of all time in relation to hong kong ticket sales? And what those sales are?

I heard that surprisingly David Chiang was the best ticket seller of all Shaws and venoms didn't sell that well? that's a bummer.

any info be great!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen a Top 25 Shaws overall before however, if you have any specific requests, I can't post some as I have stats broken down per year as well as for individuals. You can also try researching movieworld.com.hk or cinemasie.com

I haven't seen a Top 25 Shaws overall before however, if you have any specific requests, I can't post some as I have stats broken down per year as well as for individuals. You can also try researching movieworld.com.hk or cinemasie.com

awesome man thanks! could you possibly let me know the stats ( sales if possible) of the venoms movies? or if thats too specific maybe chang cheh 1978-1981?

All HK Dollars (in order of release)....

BRAVE ARCHER I

CHINATOWN KID, THE

BRAVE ARCHER II

FIVE VENOMS

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

LIFE GAMBLE

SHAOLIN RESCUERS

DAREDEVILS, THE

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS, THE

KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

HEAVEN & HELL

2 CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN

FLAG OF IRON

REBEL INTRUDERS

LEGEND OF THE FOX

TEN TIGERS OF KWANGTUNG

SWORD STAINED WITH ROYAL BLOOD

MASKED AVENGERS

BRAVE ARCHER III

1,889, 396

HOUSE OF TRAPS

BRAVE ARCHER IV

ODE TO GALLANTRY

thanks so much man!! Crazy how random it seems to me which ones did better and which did worse. Be just a guess on my part as to why ones did better than others. maybe word of mouth at the time? or possibly some being based on popular old myths/stories helps as well.

Daredevils is the only one to contain guns.. really low sales as well.. i think that one is underrated across the board tho

thanks again man!

P.S did you get all that info from the website/link you provided?

Also do you speak/read Mandarin?

I translated the one webpage and it is really really hard to navigate still being almost entirely in Chinese..

I have that data in a spreadsheet from back when I was doing research for a writing project. And no I cannot read Chinese. I was looking at The Daredevils as you brought it up. It was only in theaters (initial HK release) for seven days.

If we divide that box office receipt by 7, we get HK$121,362.58 per day. The HK dollar to US dollar exchange floated between 1974-83, so its hard to peg what the exact rate was on the week this film was released. In this example, I will use the rate of 7.80 HKD = 1.00 USD, that was established in 1983. Based on that figure, we would get $US15,559.31 per day.

Again this is all very speculative since I'm not sure what the average ticket price was in HK at this time but the US average was roughly $2.50. That would give us 6223 tickets sold daily. No way in knowing how many theaters this film showed in but at least it gives us (an extremely rough) idea of how many people went to see this film each day it was showing.

Awesome info..if its not too much could you put the sales of 1 or 2 iron triangle pics? Wanted to see if it was true that david chiang was the number 1 box office "seller" for his movies and ticket sales etc

thanks man!

Less than I expected....

DUEL OF FISTS

THE DUEL

ANONYMOUS HEROES

NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN

BLOOD BROTHERS

VENGEANCE

Can someone here explain to me how do the movie producers make money? Do they control the revenues from showing the movies or they distribute the movies to a retailer and collect their shares?

Thanks

Topgun:ooh:

Archived