Jackie Chan Japan BluRay releases

JCLegend86

Son Of A Gun

Ohhh, so the Protector hybrid is on a bonus dvd and not bluray disc?

Tens of thousands of dollars to scan a 35mm print?! Well, how do they do all these other films then? I'm guessing they pay Fortune Star a lot less for a copy of their digitised scan?

And I didn't realise the Japanese tv cut is missing some of the final fight compared to the International version. Bizarre. They won't be able to cut the two versions together because the music is timed differently on the Japan tv version. So splicing in the missing bits from the International version will cause obvious jumps or changes in the music. Unless of course they have the seperate music and sound FX elements to work with or the missing shots don't have any music in them. :D

Anyway, I'm gonna stop speculating now. :tongue: I'm getting dizzy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sit down before you fall down :tongue:

If I read correctly, the two additional cuts of The Protector are indeed on a bonus DVD disc. But even if they were on the blu-ray, it would be the same as any other standard definition special feature on a blu-ray disc. It basically plays back like a DVD file, just on a BD disc instead. So it wouldn't look any worse than a DVD... in fact, due to being able to hold higher file sizes, standard definition files should look better on a blu-ray disc due to less compression.

As for The Young Master, music wouldn't be an issue, as what's cut from the final fight is closer to the beginning of the fight... which has no music :tongue: After that initial cut, the rest of the fight is uncut.

All I'm hoping for is an uncut English dub on the "Japanese theatrical cut reproduction" as well as the deleted scenes being from the Taiwanese print. Tired of watching those extra scenes on the Vidi video version with that damn giant "VIDI" logo and the burn-in-subs! If the Taiwanese version of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars could show up in full, I don't see why Young Master can't as well!

If the Taiwanese version of Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars could show up in full, I don't see why Young Master can't as well!

What is different about the Taiwanese Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, and how long has it been out there? I still wish I had the extended OUATIC 3.

What is different about the Taiwanese Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars, and how long has it been out there? I still wish I had the extended OUATIC 3.

Here's a comparison, via movie-censorship.com:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=676419

The Taiwanese version had a release in France as an extra feature of the main TTLS DVD. Sounds about right, since the same company (Metropolitan, I believe) did the same with The Protector.

Son Of A Gun

I have this version but never noticed every single one of those differences before. Nice job, whoever made that break down!

Thanks OldPangYau- I'm thinking I've read that comparison before but for some reason I never tracked that version down and forgot all about it. For anyone interested, around 6 minutes of those scenes are up on youtube. I need to find a good way to order dvds from Europe as I also want the recent German release of Yuen Biao's 'Hero'.

Thanks OldPangYau- I'm thinking I've read that comparison before but for some reason I never tracked that version down and forgot all about it. For anyone interested, around 6 minutes of those scenes are up on youtube. I need to find a good way to order dvds from Europe as I also want the recent German release of Yuen Biao's 'Hero'.

Your best bet is French version of Ebay and amazon.

Sorry for the double post- it seems the French release has no English subs for the Mandarin cut- where does the version on youtube come from, and does anyone have any soft subs? Or a site? Any help would be appreciated.

I think most, if not all the cuts from the taiwainese version of twinkle twinkle lucky stars are featured as extras on the joy sales release if im not mistaken.

Son Of A Gun

From what I remember, the more significant scenes from the Taiwan version are on the Joy sales bonus features, yeah, but not all of the extra stuff. And they're presented in pan & scan with lousy english subs.

Guest Markgway

Is there a custom version of The Young Master and/or Dragon Lord in existance - with Cantonese mono - or am I g0nna have to rebuy the HKLs - best of a poor bunch?

Is there a custom version of The Young Master and/or Dragon Lord in existance - with Cantonese mono - or am I g0nna have to rebuy the HKLs - best of a poor bunch?

Son of a Gun and I have been toying with the idea of custom YM discs... but of course, being the anal-retentive completist that I am, I'm trying to compile as much stuff as possible :tongue:

The Joysales Dragon Lord is great as the remix is very well done. Only a couple of hits have some boosted sound to get your sub working.

The longer and definitive cut of the film IMO - the film works better with the pyramid game at the end. Jackie should've left the film alone and not gone for the cannon ending.

newgen2005

I have a few of the JC Blu-rays released by Paramount Japan - a few people have show interest in them so I will go through each of the following:

Armour of God

Armour of God 2

Police Story

Police Story 2

Police Story 3

Dragons Forever

Project A

Project A 2

Wheels On Meals

Winners & Sinners

Dragon Lord

Young Master

Heart Of Dragon

The Protector

My Lucky Stars

Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

I have viewed a few of the discs. Overall I am pretty happy with them as most contain the cuts of the movies that featured on the Japanese Laserdiscs. The only disappointment if I am honest is the lack of English subtitles. I have pointed out the main features of the discs, I didn't bother with trailers unless they appeared different. I will let you know about the others asap.

Miracles

Just over 5 minutes of Taiwan footage, this covers different opening and a few other scenes that differ from the HK cut. A just over 4 minute trailer which features scenes from Police Story 2 and contains some behind the scenes of Miracles. Contains the Japanese Laserdisc cut (1:58:49). Main movie runs 2:07:06 and is an upscale. HK cut. No English Subs.

Armour of God

Contains the English dub version of the movie which featured on the Japanese Laserdisc. Main movie is an upscale. HK cut. No English subs

Armour of God 2

Contains a just over 3 minute trailer which contains behind the scenes footage, this also features on the Kam & Ronson Blu-ray. Includes the cut which features on the Japanese Laserdisc, runs 1:46:47. Main movie is an upscale. HK cut. No English subs.

Police Story 3

Just over 31 minutes of outtakes (no audio), Stanley Tong Interview (approx 30 mins). Main movie is an upscale, no English subtitles.

Police Story 2

15 minute interview with Keung-Kuen Lai. Main movie is an upscale, no English subtitles.

Police Story

Just over 4 minutes of outtakes from various JC movies. Main movie is an upscale, no English subtitles.

The Young Master

Contains an interview with Jackie (just under 8 mins), he talks about the movie and others. Also has another interview with Jackie, he is sat at an editing machine showing some editing (just over 6 mins). Includes the Japanese Laserdisc cut 1:38:01, this cut has the original English dub. The main feature film runs longer 1:45:42, this is an upscale and contains no English subtitles.

Dragon Lord

Contains an interview with Louis Sit (just under 10 mins). Features what I believe to be the Japanese LD cut, running time of 1:31:38. Main feature is an upscale and runs 1:42:33, no English subs!

Thanks for that. Are the longer cuts true HD (like the Japanese cut of Police Story) or are they SD?

newgen2005
Thanks for that. Are the longer cuts true HD (like the Japanese cut of Police Story) or are they SD?

They are standard def, between 7-14gb in size!

In the past I have transferred the Japanese Laserdiscs to DVD, the picture and sound quality of the ones included on the Blu-rays are miles better. No way HD quality but I think this is the best we are going to get!, never thought I would ever see these cuts released on anything other than Laserdisc!

If you are looking for these Laserdisc cuts I would highly reccomend importing these discs.

Would these JP cuts then be a good way to obtain the films with original mono? You mentioned Armor of God is English dubbed. How about the other films? Police Story 3 might be especially interesting as all the remastered dvds are either remixed, out of sync, or cut...

newgen2005
Would these JP cuts then be a good way to obtain the films with original mono? You mentioned Armor of God is English dubbed. How about the other films? Police Story 3 might be especially interesting as all the remastered dvds are either remixed, out of sync, or cut...

I guess so, same with Wheels on Meals, original English dub on that one too!! One thing worth mentioning is that not all the Blu-ray discs contain the Laserdisc cuts, I will check Police Story 1,2,3 and see if they contain the Laserdisc cuts.

newgen2005
MIRACLES should run 127 Minutes (HK Edit) in 23.976fps Runtime. is the Bluray cut?

Not sure to be honest!, will check out the frame rate and running time and let you know. Any cuts I can check for?

Archived