Jackie Chan Japan BluRay releases

JCLegend86

Japan is releasing tons of old JC movies on bluray, anybody tried these out? Im interested in knowing what extras are on them? There seems to be deleted scenes, bts footage and what not listed as extras for the lucky stars movies etc.. Anyone explored these?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to sure about them! I have heard that The Protector isn't very good, well in terms on picture quality!! upscaled people say!? Would be nice if they were the Japanese Laserdisc edits, the versions with outtakes!!:squigglemouth:

The Protector has 3 versions of the film on the Blu ray, theatrical, HK edit and Japanese edit. There is a thread about it o here somewhere. Not sure what the quality is like, discs from Japan can be expensive.

I also want to get the Japanese Blu of Wheels on Meals because this has the original English dub on it.

Am looking into the older titles that are being released also, trying to get some more info. But these will not have English subtitles, none of the Japanese releases have.

Im also getting the Wheels on Meals because of that dub. The other Japan BDs are worthless to me because of only Japan audio and not even english subtitles. Thats why I wondered if they had some sick extras on them. I remember the Japanese Heart of a Dragon had like 1 hour making of, that kind of stuff.

It was confirmed in another thread that the jap wheels on meals is the old dub.

So who can confirm the Jap Wheels on Meals has the old dub and is anamorphic and region?

Wheels On Meals, The Protector, & The Project A Japanese blu-rays which play on my U.S./region A blu-ray player. It's been a while since I looked at them but I do recall that I liked Wheels On Meals because it has the old English dub (I know it's widescreen but don't remember off hand if it's anamorphic), & I liked The Protector because, as someone else mentioned, it includes 3 cuts of the movie (though the Jackie edit & the Japanese laserdisc version [including end credit outtakes] don't feature great picture quality).

Im getting the Wheels on Meals bluray because im assuming it will be much superior to the Universe DVD? Hows the "The Protector" making of?

I know The Protector blu is an upscale, but is Wheels on Meals an upscale as well? If it's the typical Fortune Star master, that'll answer my question. In short, looks great on DVD, looks botched on blu.

However, I noticed on cdjapan that a good deal of the Jackie Chan films also have listed "Japanese version of the film". This includes The Protector, which was confirmed, but it also includes Wheels on Meals. So does Wheels on Meals feature multiple cuts on the disc? Or just the HK cut? It's hard to get a solid read on cdjapan. :ooh: I know the only difference between the HK cut and the "Japanese version" is that it has the export opening credits and the outtakes end credits.

EDIT: Okay, one other thing I noticed after doing more snooping, the upcoming Japanese blu-ray of The Young Master *may* have some goodies unexpected. One translation from Amazon.co.jp mentioned a 2.0 mono track in both English and Japanese. Also, a rough translation keeps coming up as "first time on blu ray" over and over. And while this could be a typo, the runtime comes up as 108 min, while the HK cut is usually 105-106 min. What intrigued me is that the English dubbed export cut has about 2-3 minutes of extra footage. Could this be a hybrid? I *may* take the plunge when this comes out in September. Young Master is one of my favorite JC films, after all. Plus, reading about "deleted scenes" intrigues me. I have the rare Taiwanese cut with 8 minutes of exclusive footage, but if they discovered higher quality (and Cantonese) deleted scenes, sign me up!

Son Of A Gun

Alls I can say is.....I hope this Young Master release coming soon is going to be as good as it sounds. If they truly have the original Japanese theatrical version, then we're in for a treat.

But even if they just release the HK cut in 'better quality' than the rubbish HKL and Joy Sales/Fox prints, it'll be a result. :bigsmile:

this will of course be the Fortune Star overmatted Shit Version, upscaled from SD. but i'm still getting it to see if there's any bonus and stuff.

this will of course be the Fortune Star overmatted Shit Version, upscaled from SD. but i'm still getting it to see if there's any bonus and stuff.

Well, splitting hairs here, but I think the JoySales version, while using a similar Fortune Star master, was far less cropped than the Fox version. I'll have to double check. Either way, I do agree that the transfer will probably be an upconvert, as I don't think any of the blu-rays so far have been proper HD.

But yeah, my main motivation as well are the extras :wink:

well, i have the remastered French DVD which uses the horribly cropped Fortune Star Remaster also... i'm in doubt we'll get something watchable...

well, i have the remastered French DVD which uses the horribly cropped Fortune Star Remaster also... i'm in doubt we'll get something watchable...

Probably not... it's annoying that two of my favorite JC films (Young Master and Police Story) have the roughest Fortune Star transfers. Boosted contrast, overly flickering, and odd cropping.

Actually, now that I think about it, what really added insult to injury was when you watched the recap of events from the first Police Story at the beginning of Police Story 2... the quality of the PS footage at the beginning of PS2 looks so much better than the actual first film! WTF?!

Son Of A Gun

You know why though, surely. It's because those clips are part of the Police Story 2 movie print. Those clips were added in 1988 when the 'Police Story 1' print they used was in better condition, I guess.

But somehow I think they could have done a better job with Police Story 1. I doubt it was the condition of the print that caused it to look the way it does. But I'm no expert. :tongue:

Regarding The Young Master.. Since it's rumoured to be a Japanese version of the film, this would mean they have access to a different print than used on the HK/USA and UK dvds.

Like 'Heart of Dragon' was a special Japanese print with Japan company logos at the beginning. Hopefully this will be the case with Young Master too. But I won't hold my breath. :neutral:

You know why though, surely. It's because those clips are part of the Police Story 2 movie print. Those clips were added in 1988 when the 'Police Story 1' print they used was in better condition, I guess.

But somehow I think they could have done a better job with Police Story 1. I doubt it was the condition of the print that caused it to look the way it does. But I'm no expert. :tongue:

Regarding The Young Master.. Since it's rumoured to be a Japanese version of the film, this would mean they have access to a different print than used on the HK/USA and UK dvds.

Like 'Heart of Dragon' was a special Japanese print with Japan company logos at the beginning. Hopefully this will be the case with Young Master too. But I won't hold my breath. :neutral:

It does look like they didn't use an original negative for Police Story, but that's my opinion. But then again, why did the New Line Cinema version look so good? Great color, minimal flickering, yet the only widescreen release was on laserdisc. What's sad is that there's an anamorphic widescreen clip of this master on the NLC DVD of Mr. Nice Guy! Oh well...

As for The Young Master, it's hard to tell if the main master will be the usual Fortune Star transfer or not. I mean, it does say "Fortune Star" on the cover, but the runtime shows 108 minutes. Normally I'd chalk this up to a typo, but researching the other runtimes, I don't think they've had a typo yet. As for the bonus Japanese version, it's hard to tell where it'll be sourced from. Some seem to be laserdisc or VHS sources, but the one Japanese laserdisc I have of Young Master is just the Cantonese Hong Kong cut. As for Heart of Dragon, that just happened to be the one blu-ray released by the company that released it in theaters, Shochiku. So if Towa/Toei had the blu-ray rights to the other films, then we'd probably always see the Japanese theatrical cuts. So confusing!

Son Of A Gun

You're depressing me. :sad: I'm starting to think this Young Master release is gonna be nothing special. And they used laserdiscs for some previous Bluray bonus Japan edition dvds? I didn't know that. That sucks. No wonder they put them on a bonus dvd and not on Bluray.

Is the New Line Police Story uncut? If so, hopefully we might see a release of the anamorphic version in a multipack dvd edition in the future, like that AOG 1 and 2/Dragon Lord/Twin Dragons quad pack u informed me about. :D

So confusing!

Very :tongue:

You're depressing me. :sad: I'm starting to think this Young Master release is gonna be nothing special. And they used laserdiscs for some previous Bluray bonus Japan edition dvds? I didn't know that. That sucks. No wonder they put them on a bonus dvd and not on Bluray.

Is the New Line Police Story uncut? If so, hopefully we might see a release of the anamorphic version in a multipack dvd edition in the future, like that AOG 1 and 2/Dragon Lord/Twin Dragons quad pack u informed me about. :D

Don't get depressed :tongue: I misspoke, as I believe they created custom version based on theatrical print by using various sources, including laserdiscs. I think I read somewhere that this was the case of the Protector blu-ray's "third cut", which combined the sources of the Fortune Star US cut, the Hong Kong cut, and snippet of the Japanese laserdisc. Now, since Young Master is supposed to be (allegedly) based on the Japanese theatrical cut, having only English mono and Japanese mono as the audio tracks, I highly doubt they're using the laserdisc.

And the New Line Police Story is the same 90 minute international cut, the quality of the master is just far better than Fortune Star's (or HKL's, for that matter). It's just too bad it's 10 minutes shorter. Usually the case: better quality, but shorter cut. Like the US blu-ray of the Armour of God flms, they both look great, but they're both cut (and dubbed).

Son Of A Gun

What the..?! The Protector Japanese bluray is a chop shop job like one of us would make at home on our computers? :ooh: And they used a fricken laserdisc for some scenes? What does JPN laserdisc look like when put on HD bluray? Ugly I bet. Must stand out like a sore thumb. Why the hell couldn't they just use a proper print? They're supposed to be professional.

And if they're making a Young Master cut in the same way, I'm expecting them to jump between English and japanese audio then. It's gonna be a right mess. And exactly what cut of the film would they be trying to make? The HK cut should be good enough. It's the soundtracks that need to be different. Like the uncut international eng dub and score, to sync up with the HK cut of the film. If they haven't got that, then this release is doomed.

Something like that anyway. :tongue:

What the..?! The Protector Japanese bluray is a chop shop job like one of us would make at home on our computers? :ooh: And they used a fricken laserdisc for some scenes? What does JPN laserdisc look like when put on HD bluray? Ugly I bet. Must stand out like a sore thumb. Why the hell couldn't they just use a proper print? They're supposed to be professional.

And if they're making a Young Master cut in the same way, I'm expecting them to jump between English and japanese audio then. It's gonna be a right mess. And exactly what cut of the film would they be trying to make? The HK cut should be good enough. It's the soundtracks that need to be different. Like the uncut international eng dub and score, to sync up with the HK cut of the film. If they haven't got that, then this release is doomed.

Something like that anyway. :tongue:

Well, for starters, only the "third cut" on the Protector is the "chop shop job" you mentioned :tongue: From what I had seen online, only the US cut is "HD" (read: upconvert), but the HK cut and "hybrid cut" are full fledged SD files. So basically, it wouldn't look any worse than watching a DVD... of a laserdisc :tongue: Also, while they are indeed professional, it's similar to putting these movies on disc in the US: money vs demand. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to do a 35mm scan, so that was probably off-putting to them. Oh well :sad:

As for Young Master, once again, what I've read in the translations says that the Japanese theatrical cut has both the English dub and Japanese dub in two different tracks. While we know there's at least 97 minutes worth of "classic English dub" out there (thanks to the Japanese TV cut), they'd have to somehow source another 11 minutes (keep in mind, the Japanese TV cut has the "international scenes" with Wei Pai). However, the interestin thing about the Japanese TV cut is that it's missing some of the final fight that was present in the regular international cut... so it could be closer to 100 minutes of classic dub readily available.

Obviously, this is all highly hypothetical... I'll take the plunge next month and find out for sure!

Archived