The Dark Knight Rises: Review

daisho2004

OK I just got back from seeing this movie tonight and I thought it was excellent and as it was stated Batman really wasn't in this movie that much. I wanted to see it in IMAX but it was sold out! So I seen it regular and it was still worth it! Tom Hardy aka Bane was Great the best villain Yet, he tore Batman a new Ass in this movie! Anne Hathaway as Cat Woman she was good but I wish it really went a little deeper into. There were a few surprises some many could figure out what was going to happen but it ended the way it should've. I'm not going to reveal any spoilers here now I'll wait until most everyone has seen the movie.

OK I just got back from seeing this movie tonight and I thought it was excellent and as it was stated Batman really wasn't in this movie that much. I wanted to see it in IMAX but it was sold out! So I seen it regular and it was still worth it! Tom Hardy aka Bane was Great the best villain Yet, he tore Batman a new Ass in this movie! Anne Hathaway as Cat Woman she was good but I wish it really went a little deeper into. There were a few surprises some many could figure out what was going to happen but it ended the way it should've. I'm not going to reveal any spoilers here now I'll wait until most everyone has seen the movie.

For some reason I really enjoyed seeing Batman get beat up. Maybe because the fight lasted longer than 30 seconds. :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Some of the nerds had to wait 5 hrs just to see this in IMAX, lol... I can't imagine what The Hobbit will be like, when that movie comes out...

Believe me I wanted to see it in IMAX, I could have went to an early morning show but I went at the last minute. But the Hobbit I will see in IMAX for sure!

Drunken Monk

Just got back from watching it and thought it was a great end to the trilogy. Bane was great and easily as good as The Joker. Cat Woman wasn't much, really, but everything else was great.

Leonard Maltin liked it, and he, like me, didn't much care for The Dark Knight.

@Markgway: So because you feel Leonard Maltin liked it, you will like it? What if he thought it sucked, you wouldn't bother to watch it? I'm just curious at your statement...:ooh:

OpiumKungFuCracker
@Markgway: So because you feel Leonard Maltin liked it, you will like it? What if he thought it sucked, you wouldn't bother to watch it? I'm just curious at your statement...:ooh:

LOL, no Roger Ebert then...

Guest Markgway

Not necessarily. Just that it's a good sign if someone who didn't care for The Dark Knight really liked TDK Rises. Nothing odd about that. In the end I'll make up my own mind.

Drunken Monk

I personally prefer "The Dark Knight" to the final part of the trilogy, for specific reasons. I prefer Batman as a smaller scale hero, fighting hand to hand and using his utility belt gizmos to beat evil doers.

The third film seems to be Nolan's Batman on a far grander scale. The Bat-wing for example. It's just a lot bigger and more of a spectacle.

I also thought the Dark Knight was a better movie as well. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed this movie but on a whole I thought TDK was better.

ShaOW!linDude

Finally got to see this. Was discussing it with Karlos (who's seen it already) and here's what I told him.

***SPOILERS***

On Saturday, Dawn let me go see DKR.

Well......um......yeah......

You know, I liked elements of it. I liked the story and how it sort of completed a circle and tied back into the 1st one. I thought that was smartly done. There were great action sets, and the f/x were cool. I thought Anne Hathaway was an excellent Catwoman, and she sold her fight scenes. Talia was the real villain. Bane breaks Batman's back. But....

The Batwing (as cool as it was) looked like a flying black beetle. Bane was never that erudite in the comics (that I remember). His and Batman's fights were more brawls and again awfully filmed. I liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, but the fact that he essentially gets passed the mantle of the Bat and that his true name happens to be Robin....? Dude, what the...?

I liked it and yet I'm kind of disappointed. I'm convoluted actually.

Still, Nolan's are the best set of Batman films imo. Can't begrudge him that. He does a good job of exploring the character of Bruce Wayne. However, he does injustice to the character of Batman in that he's never really depicted as the great detective he is renowned for and he just doesn't come across as that great a fighter either.

Finally got to see this. Was discussing it with Karlos (who's seen it already) and here's what I told him.

***SPOILERS***

On Saturday, Dawn let me go see DKR.

Well......um......yeah......

You know, I liked elements of it. I liked the story and how it sort of completed a circle and tied back into the 1st one. I thought that was smartly done. There were great action sets, and the f/x were cool. I thought Anne Hathaway was an excellent Catwoman, and she sold her fight scenes. Talia was the real villain. Bane breaks Batman's back. But....

The Batwing (as cool as it was) looked like a flying black beetle. Bane was never that erudite in the comics (that I remember). His and Batman's fights were more brawls and again awfully filmed. I liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, but the fact that he essentially gets passed the mantle of the Bat and that his true name happens to be Robin....? Dude, what the...?

I liked it and yet I'm kind of disappointed. I'm convoluted actually.

Still, Nolan's are the best set of Batman films imo. Can't begrudge him that. He does a good job of exploring the character of Bruce Wayne. However, he does injustice to the character of Batman in that he's never really depicted as the great detective he is renowned for and he just doesn't come across as that great a fighter either.

True True. The only thing I disagree with it the way the fights were shot. I thought they were shot way better than the previous movies but thats just me. There did seem to be many holes and nods thrown in just for the heck of it though.

Just saw it. Really, really liked it. With age i've learned to take something as it is given and played out, more than how it is presented in trailer and expectation wise. Pictures like TDK, Wu Xia, TDKR and say Shaolin are prime examples. They are pictures lead by character and story. Often times very layered. None of those pictures are action or kung fu movies. That part is a storytelling tool and not why they were made. I don't really remember those aspects of those pictures other than Shaolin which had, The Yuens F it up.

What I've come to see in Nolan, especially adding this to his body of work, is that he makes psychological pictures. TDK and TDKR are layered pictures. So is Memento. The villainy is never on the surface. Its 2, 3, 4 steps down. If you react to what is in front of you, you're wrong and out of position. He makes these psychological chess move movies. I'll never forget how in began to play out with The Joker when he let himself be captured. It was extremely engrossing because the viewer doesn't have the pieces to put it together themselves. You are on that ride. You get the information when the players do but even then it is a twist.

The large scale action was fine and of course the music. The hand to hand, if I'm complaining could have been under-cranked and more on the soundfx. I wonder what came over him to not shake everything the F up like he did the 2 previous pictures but i'm glad he shot the action the way he did.

Now to nit pick. I thought the true villain twist was a cop out. It felt like a swerve just for the purpose of swerving. It hurt the whole rather than make it deeper. There was no time invested in it to make the viewer get into, like we already had with Bane. It subjugated his character when he was the reason it all was happening.Then in a flashits not about him and he vanishes from thought. And i could not understand him many times.

I loved how all of the players got those individual pieces at the end. Seems Nolan really likes that Levitt kid. Always gets him over even when he's not the star of the picture. That layered, psychological Nolan. Great stuff.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

It made the same mistake as Spider-Man 3 i.e. it felt like a condensed trilogy in of itself.

• Like 2