WellGo USA screwing up again?

Sheng

Just come across the first reviews of BUTTERFLY SWORDS, a title I always hoped would finally see a decent DVD (or BD) release. And then this: “The box claims the image 16:9 anamorphic, but it is indeed a non-anamorphic transfer that looks no different from the old Tai Seng VHS releases of a decade ago. The picture is small, the colors are washed out, and the print has suffered considerable damage; dirt and scratches everywhere, and a haze covering the entire image. There's absolutely no excuse for such poor work

I mean, “non-anamorphic, not better than an old TAI SENG video, hazy, scratched up print...? And all this in 2012 and after they fucked up with DUEL OF FISTS a few months ago? Why do they even bother with titles like this if they can't improve on the shit-releases from yesteryear? To hell with their "catalogue releases", I'd say, nobody in their right frame of mind should waste a friggin’ buck on this....

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/butterflyswords.php

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oneskyforall

I JUST bought this earlier today at Wal-Mart and this review is correct.

The picture quality sucks and is barely widescreen at all.

EDIT: Does anyone know if the Mei Ah all region version is any better?

If I can stand watching it and I end up enjoying the movie I may buy the Mei Ah version if people say it is decent.

EDIT 2: Okay so it looks a lot better on my 24 inch TV, it was horrible on my 46 inch but it at least covers the screen and appears more widescreen on my smaller TV.

How dare you complain when you should be kowtowing at the feet of Well Go for deigning to release a blessed kung fu film?! :tinysmile_angry2_t: I'll bet you lot think you deserve a Blu-ray with a new telecine or some nonsense. Why, back in my day we only had kung fu radio on Wednesdays at teatime. This generation is spoilt beyond salvation!

Why, back in my day we only had kung fu radio on Wednesdays at teatime. This generation is spoilt beyond salvation!

LMFAO:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

AFAIK the only DVD of Butterfly Sword that is 16:9 enhanced was the old MIA (UK) PAL disc. From the screenshot I saw, it still looked pretty bad (like an upscaled VHS transfer). None of the HK discs were anamorphic widescreen - same for the US Tai Seng DVD and the Taiwanese disc (which is what I have). Shame that Well Go couldn't source a better print. I guess one doesn't exist. Doesn't look like they included the alternate ending either.

Hey, people. 1993 was a great year for me. All of this digital widescreen crap is just messin with my mojo. Nothing wrong with VHS pan and scan. :tongue:

? Why do they even bother with titles like this if they can't improve on the shit-releases from yesteryear? To hell with their "catalogue releases", I'd say, nobody in their right frame of mind should waste a friggin’ buck on this....

Having seen the movie it's certainly one I wouldn't recommend purchasing under any circumstances.

Archived