There was a Sasaki Kojiro film trilogy?!

waywardsage

waywardsage

In this review of the Inagaki Samurai Trilogy that Criterion just released on Blu ray, the reviewer mentions that Inagaki also directed a trilogy about Musashi's arch nemeis Kojiro! I had no idea there was an entire trilogy made about him. Apparently Mifune even stared in is as Musashi!

Does anyone know where this can be found?!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

Inagaki did make 3 three films about Kojiro but the first two are from the really early 50's, they star Mifune as Musashi. The 3rd film is from 1967 and stars Tetsuya Nakadai as Musashi. I don't know anything about the availability of the first two films I doubt there are legit english releases. The 1967 film I think I saw on Kurotogaki once for sale but of course that is a custom project.

BlackLamaFaction

Yeah, I mean it was a trilogy in that there were three films. The first film titled Sasaki Kojiro had two parts I believe. It stared Tomoemon Otani as Kojiro and Mifune played Musashi Miyamoto, this film actually came out before the Samurai Trilogy so this was Mifune's first time playing that role. The third film simply titled Kojiro was a separate stand alone film with a different actor (Kikunosuke Onoe) playing Kojiro and Tatsuya Nakadai playing Musashi. I've never seen any of these, and I've heard Kurotogaki's version of Kojiro is not very good quality, so let me know if you have any luck finding them anywhere.

Yeah, I mean it was a trilogy in that there were three films. The first film titled Sasaki Kojiro had two parts I believe. It stared Tomoemon Otani as Kojiro and Mifune played Musashi Miyamoto ... The third film simply titled Kojiro was a separate stand alone film with a different actor (Kikunosuke Onoe) playing Kojiro and Tatsuya Nakadai playing Musashi.

Actually, there were 4 INAGAKI films about Kojiro. A trilogy released from 1950-1951 and then a single-film remake released in 1967. Both versions were based on the novel "Sasaki Kojiro" by MURAKAMI Genzo. A compilation edit of the original 1950s trilogy was also created and released sometime after the original theatrical releases and it is believed that this is all that remains of the original trilogy. This edit, titled SOHEN SASAKI KOJIRO, was released on VHS years ago in Japan, and has also aired on the Jidai-Geki Channel in recent years. MIFUNE only appeared in the 3rd film and it is believed that all of his scenes are in this edit.

Anyway here's the rundown on INAGAKI's Kojiro films:

original "Kojiro Trilogy" starring OTANI Tomoemon

佐々木小次郎 SASAKI KOJIRO (1950)

続佐々木小次郎 ZOKU SASAKI KOJIRO (1951)

完結 佐々木小次郎 巌流島決闘 KANKETSU SASAKI KOJIRO GANRYUJIMA NO KETTO (1951)

remake starring ONOE Kikunosuke

佐々木小次郎 SASAKI KOJIRO (1967)

INAGAKI's Musashi Trilogy (aka The Samurai Trilogy) starring MIFUNE was also a remake of an earlier version that he did in 1940. Sadly, these were destroyed by the overzealous American occupation forces after WWII.

Anyway here's the rundown on INAGAKI's original Musashi trilogy:

original "Musashi Trilogy" starring KATAOKA Chiezo

宮本武蔵 第一部 草分の人々 MIYAMOTO MUSASHI DAI ICHIBU KUSAWAKE NO HITOBITO (1940)

宮本武蔵 第二部 栄達の門 MIYAMOTO MUSASHI DAI NIBU EITATSU NO MON (1940)

宮本武蔵 第三部 剣心一路 MIYAMOTO MUSASHI DAI SANBU KENSHIN ICHIRO (1940)

BlackLamaFaction

Chanbara, the Master !! Is the compilation edit of the original films the VHS tape I have been seeing online for $180? It seems like a lot of Inagaki's work has been lost to the ages. I have heard that Young Swordsman was one of his best films but I have NEVER been able to find any version anywhere. It's a shame about the original Musashi triology being lost, a young Chiezo Kataoka would have been perfect in that role. The U.S destroyed films for nonsense reasons like Feudalistic propaganda and whatever B.S they could come up with. But destroying the story of Musashi Miyamoto? How do you justify that? I mean we are talking about the U.S right? The last time I checked Birth of a Nation still had not been destroyed.

danthemandmv

Oh,I couldn't agree more re The Allied Occupation Authority ordering that all those jidai-geki films made before the end of WW II be destroyed(claiming these movies contributed to imperialist/militarist conduct on the part of Japan's government&people-give me a fucking break!)

Interestingly enough,if you're able to track down Frank Capra's wartime propaganda flick ''KNOW YOUR ENEMY:JAPAN''(part of Capra's ''WHY WE FIGHT'' film series produced for The War Department)on DVD-there are clips from several samurai films included,though I don't know which films the clips were taken from...

I don't agree with censorship, but 20/20 hindsight gives us clarity when looking at history. I'm sure dealing with Kamikazi tactics and seeing the atrocities of the Japanese occupiers in asia carried some gravity into the decision making process. Also, I'm sure they would've had a lot of input from appeasers in the Japanese government. It's a shame, but war is hell.

James

I don't agree with censorship, but 20/20 hindsight gives us clarity when looking at history. I'm sure dealing with Kamikazi tactics and seeing the atrocities of the Japanese occupiers in asia carried some gravity into the decision making process. Also, I'm sure they would've had a lot of input from appeasers in the Japanese government. It's a shame, but war is hell.

James

Just remember to win the war so you can score some war criminal scientists and control the historical narrative! :wink:

Very true, even in today's world. All the communication technology in the world, and the world still listens to the guy with the megaphone.

James

Archived