Celestial in talks to bring SB films to iTunes, other services

xianzai

Celestial closer to a bite of Apple's online market

Entertainment firm expects announcement soon of deal to put Shaw Brothers movie library on iTunes

Bien Perez

Jul 10, 2012

Celestial Pictures aims to open the doors of Apple's digital media store for a vast global audience of smartphone and media tablet users to download Shaw Brothers' iconic martial arts movies onto their devices....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice that they plan to expand their market/audience, but let's see some of the unreleased movies out, and re-releases of the dvd's PLEASE.

Nice that they plan to expand their market/audience, but let's see some of the unreleased movies out, and re-releases of the dvd's PLEASE.

I thought the DVDs didn't sell well. These digital distribution channels should better match the amount of demand for SB films instead of someone guessing how many thousands of DVDs to press.

The more successful digital distribution of these movies is, the more likely that no other DVD's will ever show up again.

I can definately understand the appeal of digital copies, but I'm not looking forward to a world full of digital-only releases (movies, music, books etc.). I think consumers ultimately get screwed. At least the consumers that care about quality, pricing and having some sort of control over the content they buy.

TibetanWhiteCrane
The more successful digital distribution of these movies is, the more likely that no other DVD's will ever show up again.

I can definately understand the appeal of digital copies, but I'm not looking forward to a world full of digital-only releases (movies, music, books etc.). I think consumers ultimately get screwed. At least the consumers that care about quality, pricing and having some sort of control over the content they buy.

My thoughts exactly....

Eastern Evil

This makes the most sense money wise- most people using Itunes don't illeagally download, I bet. If they market & advertize correctly, it should help bring funds in.

waywardsage

My views on this are mixed. Would I like a physical disc in case my hard drive melts down or my digital rights get revoked? Yes! But shaw's on disc have pretty much died off. Digital distribution on such a niche market oddly enough might be the easiest way for us to get access to their HD film archive. They are more likely to release more of the films digitally due to the ease of the distribution channel.

And for those that are irritated about quality, how many terrible boots have your bought just to see the film? iTunes might result in more distribution of the HD transfers Celestial have gathering dust in their vaults.

My only question is how the subtitles will work.

My views on this are mixed. Would I like a physical disc in case my hard drive melts down or my digital rights get revoked?

Why not burn a disc?

And for those that are irritated about quality, how many terrible boots have your bought just to see the film? iTunes might result in more distribution of the HD transfers Celestial have gathering dust in their vaults.

Exactly! I doubt we'll get Blu-ray bitrates, but hopefully we can get HD files in 24p or at least PAL resolution at 25p.

My only question is how the subtitles will work.

I'm pretty sure Quicktime supports them, so they should be a non-issue.

Forgetting that I like something tangible that you can hold in your hand, play wherever you wish or if you decide you don't like it can sell it on. There's no way on earth I would pay DVD prices for a digital copy. I've never used iTunes and someone correct me if I'm wrong about the pricing but with only a digital copy, I would only ever be willing to pay a fraction of the cost of a DVD, more like the price of a rental

A quick search on iTunes will find you The Shaw Brothers. No, not movies; just some brothers whose name is Shaw. Think folk. And, a podcast or two on the movies.

Dont care about ITunes, bring more classics out on Blu ray...i really don't understand why people watch movies on a stupid small screen phone or tablet, they were made to be viewed on a big a screen as possible...

It really bums me out that there isn't a bigger market for these films. I'm one who likes to have a physical copy, and hate digital downloads. Having said that, I would rather be able to see more Shaws than less, and will take what I can get.

Celestial is running a contest for iTunes gift cards, I think looking for some fan-made trailers, and just 14 hours ago said this on Facebook in response to a U.S. fan's inquiry:

"Dear Jon, sorry! our titles are now only available in the Pan Asia, but we are working and hopefully we can launch in the USA store within this year too. Please stay with us :>"

It really bums me out that there isn't a bigger market for these films. I'm one who likes to have a physical copy, and hate digital downloads. Having said that, I would rather be able to see more Shaws than less, and will take what I can get.

clearly there is a bigger market because lots of the discs are unattainable outside of eBay. I think the lack of availability of kung fu and martial art movies stumps any growth in the genre. I mean look at the UK and there's only a handful of SB titles to purchase to begin with. I only discovered their movies through the generosity of Kingofkungfu2002. How many potentialfans worldwide are blissfully unaware? Or even long-term fans that pop into their local stores that barely stocks anything?

Also, for those who like to stay connected online, Celestial Pictures recently started up or revived pages on Facebook, Google+, and Twitter. On most days they post a trailer and a poster. Sure are plenty of movies I'd never heard of.

Timing is everything. Sadly, I think the time has almost passed for these films. Not only is it almost impossible to find oop dvd`s of Shaws but if you can, then you are gonna shell out some bucks. I am thankful for what I was able to get and would like to get more. But, not only are these not going to come out on blu but probably the only option for the future is either iTunes (or other pay sites - Netflix has a good number of Shaws), Youtube or boots. Its just impossible to overcome a crappy economy and pirates.

Timing is everything. Sadly, I think the time has almost passed for these films. Not only is it almost impossible to find oop dvd`s of Shaws but if you can, then you are gonna shell out some bucks. I am thankful for what I was able to get and would like to get more. But, not only are these not going to come out on blu but probably the only option for the future is either iTunes (or other pay sites - Netflix has a good number of Shaws), Youtube or boots. Its just impossible to overcome a crappy economy and pirates.

the sad thing is the silver lining will probably be only available in the US. With DVDs and multi-region players you could import films from all over the world. With streaming comes regional restrictions that will no doubt mean places like the UK won't have the same options available. It looks like a backward step to me as the only choices will be somewhere free like You Tube in low quality.

Dont care about ITunes, bring more classics out on Blu ray...i really don't understand why people watch movies on a stupid small screen phone or tablet, they were made to be viewed on a big a screen as possible...

Post of the century.Smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I don't like iTunes either; between the pedestrian and sometimes frustrating interface, having a store shoved in my face, the derth of lossless files, proprietary file formats, the skulduggery with hidden files on Apple devices, and the end user agreement prattle, I find it wholly unappealing.

That said, if there were downloads available and they were comparable to Blu-ray there would be nothing to stop you from using a large display. It wouldn't scratch the collector's itch for paraphenilia, but it would be a convenient and hopefully cost-effective way of checking out titles that we may well come to appreciate if its strengths are exploited.

clearly there is a bigger market because lots of the discs are unattainable outside of eBay. I think the lack of availability of kung fu and martial art movies stumps any growth in the genre. I mean look at the UK and there's only a handful of SB titles to purchase to begin with. I only discovered their movies through the generosity of Kingofkungfu2002. How many potentialfans worldwide are blissfully unaware? Or even long-term fans that pop into their local stores that barely stocks anything?

Excellent point.

Archived