Help finding a movie?..

Sandpalm79

Hey guys this is possibly a 2 part question.. not sure if this is the movie im looking for..

in 1994 i rented a movie called " Consumate power" with a monk doing a headstand on the cover as i recall...

consumatepower.gif

Now im remembering very little of the movie except for an ending with tons and tons of action. lots of fighters dressed in Genghis khan style outfits raiding a castle. I recall one of the scenes a guy was flipping almost like a corkscrew ( sorry some random slideshow like memories as i was quite young)

So does this ring ANY bells for anyone? Every movie ive tried to find on this forum you guys have gave me the title perfectly!

I just cant remember if im attributing the castle and the men in the ghengis khan style outfits ( not sure what actual period the movie was set in but this is the best description i can muster) to the consumate power movie when it was actually another film. but i think it is consumate power.

UPDATE: actually found a description and it sounds like it is the movie. but i cant find it ANYWHERE online. once i saw it on ebay on vhs. Im sure its in some sort of dollar bin somewhere

has anyone seen this movie? or know where i could purchase it on dvd?? thanks!

Here is the only info i can find online:

http://www.cityonfire.com/hkfilms/cd/consumatepower.html

"Consumate Power (1978)

Director: Shin Hou

Cast: Jet Lee II (yes, that is what it actually says!), Zhang Long

Running Time: 90 min.

Plot: In the last years of the Ming Dynasty, Prince Fu and his son Louyang ran wild terrorizing the vassal state of Henan. Their only block was the 500 monk-soldiers protecting the Shaolin Temple. Under the pretense of an order from the Emperor, Prince Fu sent all 500 monk-soldiers away to fight bandits, leaving Shaolin Temple unprotected. "Silly Monk", Guang Ci, had been training some of the young monks in martial arts. Tong Deng, one of his older pupils, was very well trained in "Tongzigong". With the 500 monk-soldiers gone, Prince Fu planned his ambush and his army began surrounding the Shaolin Temple. Aware of Prince Fu's evil intentions, the young monks defend the temple with Tong Deng leading. Only his "Tongzigong" can overwhelm Prince Fu's "Light Kicking" in this struggle for consumate power.

Reviews

TYLER'S REVIEW: This film is nothing more then a clone of Jet Li's Shaolin Temple. Even changing the leading actor's name to buy into Shaolin Temple. Apparently Abbot Hai Ding from the tourist trap that is Shaolin Temple oversaw this film. One thing this mainland China production does have is authentic Wushu shown on film. The film accurately shows the Tong Zi Gong kung fu. The style is called "children's kung fu" and apparently if you use the exercise as a child, you will be a great fighter as an adult. Still this film could have been great if it had not been for the sloppy editing and poor fight scenes. During the film a single fight scene was repeated two or three times. The film was also shot in the temple and the Shaolin Temple's scenery is great"

here is what the tons of fighters wore. almost an army amount of men as well raiding the castle

Genghis_Khan.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i found it! haha.. i figured out why i couldnt find it on amazon. i needed to spell it differently for it to show up. instead of consummate power ( consummate means: Make (a marriage or relationship) complete by having sexual intercourse)

its actually Consumate : having experience; having knowledge or skill from observation or participation

i know this is way too much energy and time for a movie starring "Jet li 2" haha.. but this was something i enjoyed in my childhood. and damn does it seem rare. only could it get it new from amazon on VHS factory sealed! lol.. probably wont hold up but maybe it will be entertaining never the less?

has anyone ever seen this? any opinions?

ill report back after watching!

here is where i found it..

http://www.amazon.com/Consumate-Power-Shao-lin-Tongzigong-VHS/dp/B00000IYQ7/ref=lh_ni_t

Guest Markgway
So i found it! haha.. i figured out why i couldnt find it on amazon. i needed to spell it differently for it to show up. instead of consummate power ( consummate means: Make (a marriage or relationship) complete by having sexual intercourse) its actually Consumate : having experience; having knowledge or skill from observation or participation

That's not correct. The proper spelling is 'consummate' (the spelling on the VHS sleeve is incorrect). The word is a homonym.

I have an English dub on DVD-R (probably taken from that VHS you linked to).

The film is a HK-Chinese co-production from 1984 and has nothing to do with anyone called 'Jet Li'.

ShaOW!linDude

Again, Markgway is correct. The proper spelling is consummate and both definitions given are true, it just depends on the context in which the word is used.

I've never heard of this, much less seen it, but if the action/fights is in any way comparable to Shaolin Temple, I'll have to check this out at some point.

That's not correct. The proper spelling is 'consummate' (the spelling on the VHS sleeve is incorrect). The word is a homonym.

I have an English dub on DVD-R (probably taken from that VHS you linked to).

The film is a HK-Chinese co-production from 1984 and has nothing to do with anyone called 'Jet Li'.

Right on. I apparently spoke too soon. Each spelling brought up a completely different defintion in google. for some strange reason. but as you guys noted it was just a spelling error on the movie's cover.

Anyone like this movie?

Always a crapshoot when it comes to watching films you "kind of liked" when you were young. Im a straight shaw brothers fanatic. And not as well versed on the movies outside of shaws.

I am getting into Joseph Kuo movies and their styles a bit. Unbeaten 28 has an awesome intro and the fighting is refreshing because its outside for one which is refreshing. and the acrobatics with dirt kicking up.. haha is something i tend to see in kuo's films. like the trailer for 7 grandmasters ..

Interested in branching out to other movies besides Chang Cheh and Liu Chia Liang. have a feeling that Consummate Power isnt going to be the best gem but i do love Shaolin vs Lama and if anyone could point me to movies of this caliber be great!

So i just received today the VHS of Consum(m)ate Power in the mail. It Came Sealed and Brand New just like the Amazon Description. Going to watch it tonight. considering that it isn't available anywhere i have seen on DVD, It is nice and a sure old school vibe getting a Kung Fu VHS in the mail!

Ill do a review on this over next few days here. Hopefully it will be one of those experiences where it lives up to the nostalgia ( like when i watched Shaolin Abbott aka Slice of Death, which took me right back to 1986 on Samurai Sunday on Philly 57 :-) )

Thanks to you guys for the help as always !

Archived