Movies where the hero-heroine is pushed to the limit before they choose to fight.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I was watching 8 Masters where Carter Wong is pushed to the limit before he finally kicks ass.

I know there are many a movie with this theme.

Please tell me your favorite, when push finally comes to shove, kung fu movies.

GG Y-Y

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

"Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" would certainly be one. In fact, a few of Jackie's have that theme. "The Big Boss" is pretty well known to be a film in which Bruce holds back for the first act.

"The Big Boss" is the one that comes to mind first, cause it is a pretty big part of the plot.

I was watching 8 Masters where Carter Wong is pushed to the limit before he finally kicks ass.

I know there are many a movie with this theme.

Please tell me your favorite, when push finally comes to shove, kung fu movies.

GG Y-Y

I think Chen Wo Fu in Shadow Boxer takes the crown.You really feel like getting into the movie yourself and shaking him up.

The other one is Tung Li / Kang Hua aka Alec Tang Lec in A Man Of No Nerves.......Hmmmm where do I even start with this?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Chen Wo Fu's reluctance to fight totally destroyed Shadow Boxer for me! He makes Bruce in Big Boss look like a war monger! Im not watching Kung Fu flicks for a lesson in pascifism!

Chen Wo Fu's reluctance to fight totally destroyed Shadow Boxer for me! He makes Bruce in Big Boss look like a war monger! Im not watching Kung Fu flicks for a lesson in pascifism!

Ha ha ha :bigsmile: very funny.Good sense of humour. I don't know if the opening post was referring to Heroes who could already fight but chose not to or Heroes who were helpless because they couldn't fight but later caught on.

If it is the former then maybe Leung Kar Yan / Liang Chia Ren is another one in The Victim.If it is the latter then there are loads.

Writing Kung Fu.

Not that great of a movie but the fight scene are great especially with Bolo playing the flute while fighting.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I think Chen Wo Fu in Shadow Boxer takes the crown.You really feel like getting into the movie yourself and shaking him up.

The other one is Tung Li / Kang Hua aka Alec Tang Lec in A Man Of No Nerves.......Hmmmm where do I even start with this?

Wrong quote but.

Good point Kwok Chou. I should have clarified:

"I MEANT HEROES WHO COULD FIGHT!

Like the Wang Tao movie where he is the carriage driver bullwhip expert who refuses to fight. Name of this movie please?

GD Y-Y :smile:

"Ten Fingers of Death" would also be such a film .The protagionist(played by Jackie Chan) is not really allowed to fight, but is finally forced to after several of his friends and family are hurt/killed.

Eeeh what?

I made a mistake. I meant "Ten Fngers of Death" not "Five Fingers of Death". I was five fingers short, could happen to anyone.:yociexp100:

Omni Dragon

FIST OF UNICORN

Not Kung Fu nor 'Classic Martial Arts Cinema 1920-1985' but ONG BAK

Secret Executioner

No Disciples Of Shaolin (though Chi Kuan Chun's is more of a side-character) ? I'd say it fits too, going all out after Fu Sheng is killed.

NoKUNGFUforYU

Manchu Boxer with Tony Lau Wing. Pretty much of a snoozer. Basically the villains just kick everyone's ass until the end in a cheap ripoff of Five Fingers of Death crossed with Big Boss and who cares.

Also, Lady Kung Fu/Hapkido has a certain amount of pushed until they fight.

Snake in the Monkey's Shadow....John Cheung constantly gets bullied, then learns Drunken kung fu and Monkey style, but is pushed when the snake fist expert kill both of his teachers and they warn him to stay away. It is the killing of his teachers that push him to the limit.

Here is a modern martial arts film example of this thread:

Ring of Fire (1991) - Don Wilson's Johnny Wu doesn't fight but tries to maintain his relationship with Julie, the sister of his cousin's rival. When his cousin is killed by said rival, Wilson still doesn't fight until he finally professes his real love for Julie and her brother smacks her across the face. That's when he is pushed and finally fights in the finale of the film.

I think Chen Wo Fu in Shadow Boxer takes the crown.You really feel like getting into the movie yourself and shaking him up...

This, and this!!!

I wanted to leap through the screen and punch Chen Wo Fu myself! Dude held back so long, you almost hoped the baddies would just kill him and end the movie!

:bigsmile:

Chinese Hercules, Fist of The Unicorn, The Skyhawk
... Great honorable mentions!

Archived