Jason Statham Favorite Action Role?

One Armed Boxer

What's your favorite Jason Statham action movie?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Jason Statham action movie?

• Safe (2012)
    • Killer Elite (2011)
    • Blitz (2011)
    • The Mechanic (2011)
    • Crank: High Voltage (2009)
    • The Transporter 3 (2008)
    • Rouge Assassin (2007)
    • Crank (2006)
    • The Transporter 2 (2005)
    • The Transporter (2002)

One Armed Boxer

I recently had a pretty good time watching Statham's new movie 'Safe', and have to admit his movies are usually a guilty pleasure of mine. He brings the 80's action aesthetic back to a time when men where men, and it was more about having a down and dirty brawl rather than having things explode in front of a green screen and muscles created post-CGI. While not masterpieces, if I want to see some decent stunt work and above average fisty cuffs in a Hollywood movie, I usally get my fill out of Statham's movies.

I thought it would be interesting to see, what's everyone elses favorite action movie of his?

Safe was awesome, went in expecting bad cheese a'la transporter or crank, came out with cheesy grin from multiple throat strikes :xd:

ShaOW!linDude

Without a doubt, it's The Transporter. I liked the premise and it has some fantastic MA in it.

I liked the 2nd one. I was actually in Miami at the time they were doing some filming. Did a job not far from where a road was blocked off for part of the car chase. Never got to see anything/anybody though. (I recently watched the 3rd.....never again. The fight scenes are so hyper-edited they seem to be done by a spastic jacked up on crack solely for the purpose of inducing seizures in epileptics. Gimme a Bourne film any day.)

My wife loves JS. He's like Bruce Willis: he just looks cool when he's all beat up and he sells the action scenes. I've most everything on the list though there's 3 I've got to check out. Didn't care too much for Crank so I've never seen the 2nd one.

massa_yoda

Safe was surprisingly good, but for his best action performance, it has to be Transporter. Even Transporter 2 had some good fighting in it. Safe would rank third place on this list for me. Definitely worth revisiting. Killer Elite: meh. The Mechanic: decent. Crank was just ok. Still need to see the second one. Haven't seen Blitz or Rouge Assassin either. Are those any good?

TibetanWhiteCrane

I like him. Not always his movies, but I like him. Loved the first Transporter, and the second one was sorta watchable. It's a cool concept, too bad they didn't do better with it. I would love to do a fan edit of the first one. Put back all the cut out MA action, and substitute the aaaaawful music with a real film score.

The Bank Job was a good one too.

And One Armed Boxer, your'e right... he is a throwback to the 80's-early 90's macho action guy, before that type had to make way for faggy teen vampires, and nancyboy leading men!

although his acting routine starts buggin me a bit, i like the man for the exact reason already pointed out by OAB, TWC and shaowlindude- hes THE go to guy (or at least he was in the last couple of years) when it comes to the classic caucasian action hero a la willis, sly et al.

as for the vote- transporter 1 & 2 hands down.

what else is on the list again ?? dont remember his fighting prowess or the lack thereof in many of his movies (did chaos have good statham MA+action ??)

bank job`s a good one ? i have it shelved for what feels like eons by now, should probably get to it then, huh ?! i know its nothing to do with MA. just saying, i neednt be warned ;-)

i remember hating crank 2. a cheap knock off of part 1 to make a quick buck that someone forgot to administer its daily dose of ritalin to. gave me a headache.

if u watch the next mediocre statham movie, remember one thing- would u rather still have "the excellent ted logan the zen version" as hollywoods main action hero ? :tongue:

JS still has some quality action in him, basically it comes down to his agent and the studios to offer him s/t proper in the future.

Safe was surprisingly good, but for his best action performance, it has to be Transporter. Even Transporter 2 had some good fighting in it. Safe would rank third place on this list for me. Definitely worth revisiting. Killer Elite: meh. The Mechanic: decent. Crank was just ok. Still need to see the second one. Haven't seen Blitz or Rouge Assassin either. Are those any good?

I haven't seen Blitz either ,but you haven't seen War?

Drunken Monk

I didn't enjoy "War" or "Transporter 2" but the first "Transporter" is pretty good. I actually enjoyed "The Mechanic" too.

Because of the recommendations here, I'll be giving "Safe" a watch tonight.

massa_yoda
(did chaos have good statham MA+action ??)

Chaos was a good twist movie, but didn't have much in the way of MA. Statham does have one memorable take down when he uses the top of a toilet (the lid) to knock a guy out. Snipes also goes mano-a-mano with Phillippe.

I haven't seen Blitz either ,but you haven't seen War?

Okay, I see: War = Rouge Assassin. My apologies, I HAVE seen this. It had a good script hampered by a I-don't-want-any-MA-in-my-film director.

Okay, I see: War = Rouge Assassin. My apologies, I HAVE seen this. It had a good script hampered by a I-don't-want-any-MA-in-my-film director.

I also thought the script/story had a good premise to it. I didn't know the director didn't want any Martial Arts in his film. Thats crazy. It would definitely have added the needed sizzle to the flick.

None of the above. I preferred "War" with Jet Li and Statham as the partner gone bad.

So your vote is for Rogue Assasin/War?

I also thought the script/story had a good premise to it. I didn't know the director didn't want any Martial Arts in his film. Thats crazy. It would definitely have added the needed sizzle to the flick.

I watched some behind the scenes stuff on the DVD I rented. The director said several times in interviews that he didn't want 'martial arts', though he hired Corey Yuen to choreograph the action. Yuen said he looked at Jet and asked, "What the hell are we doing here?"

That director obviously doesn't know what martial arts is if he doesn't think it can be real and gritty.

Jeru the Damaja

Even though Statham was just a supporting actor, I didn't think Ghosts of Mars was that bad. Transporter, Crank, and Death Race are my favorites though.

I like Jason Statham and watch all his movies..untouched to this day are still his UK made movies Lock,stock and snatch....

as for action I liked safe,the mechanic,transporter

..couldnt tell which one i like most...

• Like 1

Forgot about Blitz! Its freakn awesome, and similar to Safe in its execution of action. The opening sequence is hilarious...lets just say he shows some young chavs a hurling stick :tongue:

Revolver was another good flick, watched it at random one drunken evening. Bonus was it had (pretty much just a cameo, but good nontheless) Ray Liotta

Without a doubt, it's The Transporter. I liked the premise and it has some fantastic MA in it.

:yociexpress01:

I recently watched SAFE on Netflix and thought it was fucking fantastic. Easily the best action movie of recent times (right up there with Raid 2, Rambo 4, Get The Gringo, etc). I can’t believe I let this one fall through the cracks.

It’s filled with heart, has a decent story and is paced flawlessly with a crapload of crisp, violent action. I’d say it’s easily Statham’s best flick (not counting his non-action roles, Guy Ritchie, etc.)

What are your guys’ favorite Statham flicks? I might have to check out PARKER next. I recently saw Home Front which wasn’t too bad either. I was never a big fan of his, but now I'm interested in seeing the ones I missed.

I forget who the director is, but this guy should definitely do a Bond or Expendables movie.

"Parker" is an absolute nightmare. I'd avoid that one if I were you. I couldn't even sit through the entire thing.

I still think his best films are "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch."

I liked both of those Ritchie movies, but I need some recommendations of his "action" titles. I guess it would help if I listed ones I've seen:

Transporter

Crank

The Bank Job

Crank 2

Expendables 1-3

Like I said, was never a fan of the guy, so I never made it point to see all his movies. It wasn't so much him, it was his films... they were all so average and forgettable. Crank 1 and 2 were a little too far out my taste.

Safe is another great piece of his.

Are their two different SAFE films with Statham in it? ;)

(this is a joke, considering the point of my thread was my new found love for Statham because of SAFE... but it's all good. Sometimes I skim 'n reply myself)

Crank 2 - Wanted to hate the film, never saw the first one, but damn if it didn't win me over with its unapologetic trashiness. I'm still waiting for Crank 3D!!!

Someone should really give Parker the same tv treatment Raylen Givens had with Justified.