The reason Donnie Yen didn't want to be in The Expandables 2

DiP

"They wanted me to be in 'Expendables 2' but I just didn't feel the role clicked. I was flattered that I was approached by the producers but I just didn't see the role they asked me to do being that intriguing. I didn't really want to do it but I'm open for anything. Doing a movie is a stressful thing. You spend months of your life focusing into that one project and I want to make sure I do something I really like or I'm really passionate about."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92291

ShaOW!linDude

It's also about the $ and where your name will appear in the credits: before or after title; before or after whoever else is starring.:tongue:

QueMuchita

Good on him, he probably wouldn't of done much anyway. I'd rather him stick to HK flix than move into Hollywood.

Guest Yi-Long

Perhaps he was supposed to be cast as an opponent for Jet Li's character!?

Anyway, Jet Li hardly got any chance to shine in the first movie, so maybe Donnie didn't want the same thing happening to him...!?

I didn't think the film was worth the expense of making a sequel. Just looked like a bunch of old men, pathetically trying to stay relevant. Glad to see he's going to focus his efforts on something more worthwhile.

Another Jet Li vs Donnie Yen fight would have been awesome. I can hear Jet now,"I woulda win"

Sky and Nameless remains my favorite on screen battle yet....I wish they could do it again, it'd be worth every cent.....

The Dragon
I didn't think the film was worth the expense of making a sequel. Just looked like a bunch of old men, pathetically trying to stay relevant. Glad to see he's going to focus his efforts on something more worthwhile.

Awesome comment, sums it all up.

:nerd:

yet he took a place in Blade 2? Was he even in the credits for that?

I realise that was a few years ago now, but most westerners still have no idea who he is & Expendables 2 would have given him a much needed leg up if he wanted to go to hollywood

I agree with his sentiments, but at the end of the day I would believe his step down in hierarchy probably played a large role in his decision. He's a big fish in a small pond at the mo, going to hollywood puts him in the ocean

my 2 cents

yet he took a place in Blade 2? Was he even in the credits for that?

I realise that was a few years ago now, but most westerners still have no idea who he is & Expendables 2 would have given him a much needed leg up if he wanted to go to hollywood

I agree with his sentiments, but at the end of the day I would believe his step down in hierarchy probably played a large role in his decision. He's a big fish in a small pond at the mo, going to hollywood puts him in the ocean

my 2 cents

Donnie doesn't need Hollywood. Asian actors are always second fiddle when they appear in American films and typically get the low end of the pay scale. Why would he want to be a bit player in the U.S. when he can be the whole affair in HK? He's done enough bit roles in the U.S. to realize he'll never get anything more substantial so he's better off doing what he does best in Asia.

Drunken Monk

While the fan in me would have liked to see him in "The Expendables 2," I'm glad he turned the role down. Not because the first film was bad, but because he's establishing his name incredibly well without the use of Hollywood.

Michael Jai White, in an interview only yesterday, even said Donnie Yen is currently the greatest on screen fighter in the movie industry and that's without him leaning towards western movies.

And hey, sue me, but I'm looking forward to "The Expendables 2." If they can get rid of the atrocious shaky cam, it might be a really nice slice of nostalgic action pie.

Drunken Monk
Where can we read Michael Jai White's interview?

He actually had an open Q&A on www.filmdrunk.com yesterday. I flung about ten questions his way and he answered one. Most of them were regarding martial arts/kung fu cinema etc. He seemed far more interested in answering the silly questions asked of him and, of course, anything to do with "Black Dynamite."

The question I asked, which got an answer, were about his martial arts influences. He cited Donnie Yen, Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan as the leading influences.

As shambolic as it was in the Q&A, it was interesting to read his answers regarding Segal. It's obvious that MJ White does not like the man.

It was nice of MJW to take time out and address his fan base.. Too bad so many a$$holes were online to clutter the interview with bull$hyt.

He's a cool guy.

Thats so harsh, lol. Nostalgia is a powerful thing...

They can always call their boy, Mr. Sellout Jackie Chan.

if he does anything apart from this in hollywood it will be proberly a triad role, donnie knows how far hollywood will let him go... the money would of been good though :wink:

Noelle Shadow Kick

I would just like to note that even if Donnie Yen's pay for Expendables 2 was lower on the pay scale, it would still be a significant amount of money. Actors get paid a shit ton more in Hollywood than HK, which is why you see actors become well respected in other countries and then come to Hollywood to make movies. It's where the money is. In an interview with Jackie Chan he once called making movies in Hollywood "24 hour ice cream" in comparison to making HK films. Actors often come to Hollywood to make their money in order to make the films they want to in their respective countries.

That being said, I do think it's kind of a pride thing with Donnie Yen. He's finally getting credit in HK, and doesn't want another Shanghai Knights experience where he fights for four seconds and is then killed with a firework.

Drunken Monk

Apparently Donnie made more than Jet Li last year (19.7 million) so he's not doing too badly by sticking to Hong Kong cinema.

Hey, he gave it a shot with Highlander, Shanghai Knights, and Blade II, and was dogged on all three sets..

He choreographed most of Blade II, only to have Del Toro (mispelling?) tell him "this ain't HK", and fire him for giving the action too much HK like action. That opening fight sequence with Blade was originally like 20mins.

Good for Yen. Those Hollywood qweilos always diss my Hong Kong brothers.

F-k em.