Shapes in Shaws..

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

I've often noticed that while Shaw films are renowned for their weapons choreography, it seems like when it comes to hand to hand shapes the indie films get most of the recognition. I wanted to find out what everyone thinks are the best shapes films Shaw produced during that era. I have to admit the overwhelming majority of films I own and have seen are independents, so I'm looking to find more Shaws that exhibit tight and crisp hand to hand fights.

These are two Shaws that I have seen and thought were quite exceptional in the shapes department.

Monkey Kung Fu (Lo Mar)

5 Superfighters (Lo Mar)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
odioustrident

I think Coward Bastard is undermentioned as it may not be as action packed. Simply put... Yuen Wah is performing at a level of crisp acrobatics Jackie could never achieve.

TibetanWhiteCrane

yeah, but the movie blows in every other imaginable way, and the action, although good, is sparse as you said.

Omni Dragon

Liu Chia-Liang film's are great shapes

odioustrident
coward bastard big let down that movie what happened to Meng Yuen-Man in this one.

It has the look of a troubled production... some scenes appear to be cut short etc...

BlackLamaFaction

Meng Yuen Man has been great in everything I've seen him in, so I decided to check out Coward Bastard. The fights were good, but like everyone mentioned earlier, far too few. One thing the film did remind me of was the exceptional skill of Wang Lung Wei. I would have loved to see him do more independent shapes films. He would have been so amazing in that environment. I could imagine him as the villain in Born Invincible, or as Li Yi Min's master in 7 Commandments. Don't get me wrong, he was phenomenal in so many films at Shaw, I just feel like there were some instances where Shaw style choreography may have slightly stifled his hand to hand skills.

Always thought Tsui Siu Ming's choreography in Gangmasters was stuffed full of mindblowing handplay, with a cast of top stars at full shapes capacity, Bruce Liang letting off at Shaws...

Kid from Kwangtung is in my opinion, THE finest monkey fist movie of all time, and Silver Fox's mad Cat Claw work is what shapes are all about..

Treasure Hunters has incredibly complex array shapes NO indie flik gets near to...

And Lau Kar Leung's (POPS!!!) movies have the finest, and correct, hand shapes in any kung fu flik regardless of what studio produced it!!!....

Also I reckon the Venoms fliks have stunning handplay too...

Etc etc

Archived