The Last Samurai and Samurai Trilogy out today! 6/26!

waywardsage

waywardsage

Misumi's Last Samurai is out on DVD today:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Samurai-Hideki-Takahashi/dp/B0080WPADW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=5GL42G2AJLBJ&coliid=I2VXER7NZC0521

Also, the Samurai Trilogy from Criterion was released as well:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Samurai-Trilogy-Criterion-Collection/dp/B007N5YK10/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_text_b

Please let me know if your planing to buy or have already picked it up. I'd like to know peoples opinions!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I first read the post, I thought you were talking aboout the crappy Tom Cruise flick.:squigglemouth:

I have not seen those yet, but they look like films I would be intrested in getting(gotta love those Samurai films:tongue:)

waywardsage

Just saw a review on DVDBeaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/samuraii.htm

His summary of the Samurai Trilogy from Criterion:

"ADDITION: Criterion - Region 'A' - Blu-ray (June 2012): I'll make the same comments for all three - 1954’s Oscar-winning Musashi Miyamoto, 1955’s Duel at Ichijoji Temple, and 1956’s Duel at Ganryu Island on Criterion Blu-ray look tremendous. You only need to view the screen captures to see the huge difference and superiority over the green video-like SD-DVD versions. It makes them look unwatchable. Grain, detail, colors - what a triumph. Parts one and two are on the first, a dual-layered, Blu-ray and part three is one a second disc single-layered Blu-ray. The audio goes via a linear PCM and the uncompressed monaural soundtracks sound superb if not dynamic. Supplements offer interviews with translator and historian William Scott Wilson about the real-life Musashi Miyamoto, the inspiration for the hero of the films and a trailer for each film plus a booklet featuring essays by film historian Stephen Prince and Wilson. Incredibly impressive all-round and it was like seeing the film from scratch - the transfer was that good. Bravo to Criterion - a rousing thumbs up. Don't miss these masterpieces in 1080P!"

I am super stoked about this!!

Guest Yi-Long

Sounds great, but too bad it's only Region A, and I don't see a Region B release anywhere soon on the horizon, so I hope to be able to just download it instead.

Chemical Lemon

I received the "The Last Samurai" dvd today, have not watched it, but I did briefly peak at it. I can't attest to technical standards, bit rates, etc., but in general the dvd looks pretty good. Actually I'm pretty relieved, "Neptune Media" looked very bootlegish to me, so I was a little worried this would be a dvd of a copied vhs tape. To me it looks at least on par with recent releases from Animeigo, possibly better. One thing I'll mention in particular, the first thing I did when it arrived was smell the dvd case, because if the dvd case smells awful you can usually assume the dvd is awful too. The dvd case had no smell... not important but that immediately stood out to me. The dvd also has a lot of nice extras, trailer, bios, historical info, movie stills, etc. Plus a little card size copy of the movie poster. It's a nice dvd, reminds me very much of a good Animeigo disc. The only things that looked cheap to me was the outside of the dvd slip (the inside looked nice and had notes on it), and the dvd menu, which looked bootleggy. Whether it's worth $30 is another issue, I've watched the trailer and some bits of the movie and it seems worth it to me, but I don't mind splurging if it's a movie I haven't seen.

Just got my copy of the Last Samurai as well as the picture quality looks great and they did a great job on the overall package.

On bios have pictures of the actors from other films as well and I can't place the film with Ken Ogata standing behind Kei Sato with a sword.

Hope these guys release more Samurai films because we could use many more.

So I just finished watching The Last Samurai and I loved it. The first hour is a bit slow, but but the second hour is what you watch a Samurai film for. Lots of slicing and dicing and a pretty sweet war scene. The third hour is a bit slow as well, as it ties up loose ends, but still very good. Misumi went out with a bang with this being the last film he directed.

Hopefully Neptune films release more Samurai films. There are still plenty out there that deserve R1 DVDs.

Samurai Trilogy DVDs on 'Eastern Eye' (Madman) have fantastic video quality already, those blu ray screencaps dont look much better

but still, Im sure I would appreciate the upgrade when viewing on my main 46" as opposed to the pc 23"

being a Mifune fan I will end up with them in my collection when funds are available

So I just finished watching The Last Samurai and I loved it. The first hour is a bit slow, but but the second hour is what you watch a Samurai film for. Lots of slicing and dicing and a pretty sweet war scene. The third hour is a bit slow as well, as it ties up loose ends, but still very good. Misumi went out with a bang with this being the last film he directed.

Hopefully Neptune films release more Samurai films. There are still plenty out there that deserve R1 DVDs.

I love this movie, it's long, but every scene is necessary, I believe this is the only Samurai movie, that I've watched anyways, that showed the effects of the Meiji Restoration on the Samurai class. I'm going to have to order, I've only seen it through a rental twice(I'm sure it was a boot).

I have the Criterion collection of the Samurai trilogy I shelled out a pretty penny for some years ago, I think I'll have to hold off on that one.

waywardsage

Barnes and Noble has finally started their annual 50% off Criterion sale. Samurai Trilogy is on sale!

I just ran out and picked up The Samurai Trilogy from Barnes & Noble with tax it came to around $38.00

It's Like watching the movies for the first time. Beautiful release. Could have used a bit more extra features, but thats a minor complaint.

James

Barnes and Noble has finally started their annual 50% off Criterion sale. Samurai Trilogy is on sale!

I picked up 3 Outlaw Samurai yesterday for 10 clams:smile:

OK I'm going to shamefully admit I don't own a copy of Gojira, they had the classic media for $10 and the criterion with the discount for $15, I know criterion is usually spot on, but want to make sure I get the best version.

I picked up 3 Outlaw Samurai yesterday for 10 clams:smile:

OK I'm going to shamefully admit I don't own a copy of Gojira, they had the classic media for $10 and the criterion with the discount for $15, I know criterion is usually spot on, but want to make sure I get the best version.

Criterion's Gojira is a much better transfer than the Classic Media version.

OK I'm writing my review a little early about Criterion's Samurai Trilogy.

And I will say I think they did a horrible job with this BR release the picture quality is hazy & and the letterbox black bars isn't on the top & bottom but on the sides and I hate that so they only ruined this masterpiece in my Opinion! I'm going to write them a letter to complain! So I wouldn't rush out to buy this if I was you!

And I will say I think they did a horrible job with this BR release the picture quality is hazy & and the letterbox black bars isn't on the top & bottom but on the sides and I hate that so they only ruined this masterpiece in my Opinion! I'm going to write them a letter to complain! So I wouldn't rush out to buy this if I was you!

:ooh:Who's going to tell daisho that the OAR is 1:33:1?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/samuraii.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/samuraiII.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare3/samuraiiii.htm

(scroll down for comparisons)

I'm a pretty negative Nancy when it comes to shitty transfers, so don't take it lightly when I say this is exactly the kind of natural, filmic presentation that I damn well expect for Criterion prices!

waywardsage

Insane! The film was originally 1.33:1 ratio! And the transfer is jaw dropping compared to the original Criterion DVD release.

those screenshots definately show the blu to be far superior, no doubt there would still be a haziness to the old film transfer, but that is unavoidable with film degradation or remastering from a digital version of degraded film

I can get my eastern eye (which pretty well matches the criterion dvd screenshots) dvd to look similar to the blu with tv setting adjustments, but its no where near the clarity/sharpness of the image. A worthy upgrade I believe. Shall have to save some cash.

BlackLamaFaction

I realize those are screen captures, but those examples make the criterion DvD's look a lot worse than what they actually are, at least in my opinion.

Listen all I'm saying is that they could've done a much better job and the picture doesn't seem to be in letterbox format of the ratio! I'm pissed at how bad they did on this movie!

Listen all I'm saying is that they could've done a much better job and the picture doesn't seem to be in letterbox format of the ratio! I'm pissed at how bad they did on this movie!

It's not in the letterbox format because the films were not shot in "letterbox format". Criterion released them in the original format, but you're asking for a raped cropped image :cry:

Yeah, if you look carefully at the composition of the shots and everything, it's pretty obvious that the cinematographer was shooting for a fullscreen frame. Compare that to say, the open-matte releases of Stanley Kubrick films, and it should become obvious that the widescreen versions are much more competant.

:laluot_08:

IMDB Technical Page

Blu-ray.com Review

I am trying to think of the most polite way to say this... you're wrong. You should do some research on aspect ratios. Not every film is widescreen.

I am trying to think of the most polite way to say this... you're wrong. You should do some research on aspect ratios. Not every film is widescreen.

@Ronin: Hey Bro don't feel bad to hurt my feeling on here! I did screw up! I did assume it was in letter box format/wide sceen ration.

Archived