Black Belt

daisho2004

Black Belt: Now I'm sorry if I'm starting a new thread on this movie because I just couldn't find the old one. I'm just curious how many People seen this movie? I just ordered it.

51yoQ2e0ciL.jpg

Before World War II, three disciples, Taikan, Choei, and Giryu, were taught by karate master Eiken Shibara in a remote mountain dojo. When the Japanese military police attempt to seize the training hall, the three disciples resist and soundly defeat them, though Choei receives a crippling injury. Afterwards, on his deathbed, their master bids his pupils to focus their skills inward and decide who is worthy of being his successor and inheriting his black belt. Taikan and Giryu, as the only two viable candidates, follow different paths on their journey to

discovering the meaning behind their master's last words.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
waywardsage

I saw it a while back. I enjoyed it. If there is any such thing as a "pure Karate film," this would be it. The film is very dramatic and well acted. The action is super focused on being realistic. It's not really an action film as more of a drama with a couple of karate duels.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, I think you could make that comparison in that it is much more drama driven. The duels are pretty brutal, but as waywardsage stated, this is not the type of choreographed fighting that you would be typically used to.

It's okay for action, good for story. Been a while since I've seen it though.

It was great altogether. Story/acting has depth and the action choreography was refreshing for a change. It's like Throw Down but with karate and a straight-forward narrative.

I The action is super focused on being realistic.

This is one of the main reasons I like this forum. Always hearing about movies I would have otherwise never heard of and get opinions from various kung fu movie fans. I'll be checkin this one out.

Cool movie. I thank you for starting a thread on it Daisho. Had you not I would have not known of it. The style they used reminded me of my first martial art that I did as a kid; goju ryu. Just because of the breathing kata they were doing. I'm not sure what style of Karate was used in the film for sure just sayin. I don't watch much Japanese cinema besides the mainstream reccomendations that I hear of. You know Ichi, Vistor Q, Outrage, and such. Titles that I can find on a quick scan of the Foreign film section at Hastings.

daisho2004

OK I just finished watching this movie and I have to agree with everyone so far, the storyline was superb not really an action movie but a few good fight scenes in it. Overall an excellent movie.

I also thought the performances were impressive, but the writing kind of falls askew about halfway through and the direction, try as it might, just cannot compensate. Looking on the bright side, at least it isn't High Kick Girl. :wink:

OK I just finished watching this movie and I have to agree with everyone so far, the storyline was superb not really an action movie but a few good fight scenes in it. Overall an excellent movie.

Just found this thread. This is a very good film with Martial Arts. As OpiumKungFuCracker inquired, yes, a lot reminescent of Red Belt.

These releases need more hype, because we wouldn't see them without recommendations.

I'd give it 8.5/10.

Very realistic Karate.

Archived