Fortune Star "Legendary Collection" DVD subs -- all bad?

xianzai

Perhaps I've been spoiled by subs on recent films, but watching a few Fortune Star DVDs recently I've been disappointed by the quality of the subs. Does the quality vary or are they all uniformly poor?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Most are crap. Own about 30 or so, and they all have their issues. Some are not too bad, some Are downright cryptic.

Quality varies. There are some titles that do have decent subs. Others are less than tolerable, some are outrageously poor. You gotta remember that the majority of titles in the 'Legendary Collection' consist (or rather consisted - the brand is history by now) of unrestored reissues of earlier letter-boxed DVD's with the ported over subs that they originally had. All they changed is the package and the aspect ratio, meaning they made 'em "anamorphic" (sometimes cropping them severly by doing so).

Thanks; at least I know what I'm in for (and I'm glad I didn't get rid of my earlier non-anamorphic DVDs).

the latest Releases before they stopped using English Subs at all (Association one of the victums) were unwatchable, most likely being "translated" using google translate or something similar...

all of these horrible subbed DVDs were not available with Subs on VHS & VCD before so they had nothing to type them off.. and went the super-cheap way.

Son Of A Gun

the early batches of Legendary Collection titles had great, newly translated subs. Then they stopped bothering. I couldn't tell you exactly when it stopped.

It would be good if someone could find a release date list for us. anyone have such a thing?

The titles off the top of my head with really good subs are "The Dead and the Deadly" "Spiritual Love", "Happy Ghost 3" <-(probably the previous 2 as well.. City War, Twin Dragons....

They had a certain subber that were responsible for most of the good subs on the early releases but I think the deal between Joy Sales and that subber soured and they dumped him.

Son Of A Gun

Damn. Such a shame. I remember one of them actually, I think. Tintlau, right?

Oh, School on Fire has good subs too. Just remembered, because he did them. But JS left off the subs at the end which translates the on-screen text. He made them, but they left them off.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Aaah... our little beloved genre will never get its proper due or respect.... nobody gives a fuck but us.

Son Of A Gun

It would seem that way, yes. 'lol :sad:

I guess they think that we should either know Cantonese or stop watching chinese films.

I just got back from Hong Kong and while I was there I purchased about 20 DVDs from this collection, I've only watched 2 so far and didn't notice anything with the subtitles, hopefully I don't encounter any problems with the rest of them.

Archived