Best order to watch the SHAOLIN TEMPLE series aka Shaolin cycle?

KyFi

RogueWarrior
Can someone help me out? I must know the name and origin of that awesome song in the Shaolin Cycle vid.

The info is here.

If you watched the video from the YT page you would see its in the comments.

Check out Shaolin Abbot for another view on the story. The way I see these movies is like when a group of people see an car accident. It seems that no one sees the same thing. Each person has their own version of what happened; and you are the police officer trying to get the facts based off each story.

Omni Dragon
Check out Shaolin Abbot for another view on the story. The way I see these movies is like when a group of people see an car accident. It seems that no one sees the same thing. Each person has their own version of what happened; and you are the police officer trying to get the facts based off each story.

The car accident metaphor is a good way of describing it, after all these films are about figures who've had folk tales/legends added to them over hundreds of years. Plus you want an exciting story for film.

Bringing this thread back instead of responding to recent Shaw bros thread.

I love Heroes Two, it's my favorite performance from Chen Kuan Tai for sure, and probably my favorite Shaolin Cycle movie.

I think I'm going to revisit 5 Shaolin Masters today. I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I know I loved it. I have seen Shaolin Temple and Heroes Two recently (and in the case of Shaolin Temple, 2 or 3 times in the last year, lol.)

Shaolin Temple is great, but there is not much action til the last half an hour... Great build up, acting and characterization though. But I prefer Heroes Two for its break neck pace and hard hitting choreography (and still some emotional moments).

To me these three stand far above the rest of what I have seen from the cycle. I'm not a big fan of Disciples or Men from the Monastery.. I can hardly remember Shaolin Martial Arts, but I remember thinking it was the best fighting performance id seen from Fu Sheng, and a good movie. (He usually leaves me very underwhelmed in that department, but not here). I'll probably watch it again this weekend as well. I don't think I have seen Shaolin Avengers.

Is Shaolin Temple meant to be a direct prequel to Five Shaolin Masters?

Spoiler

In Shaolin Temple Lung Wei is outed as a traitor, in Five Shaolin Masters he isn't and tricks Fu Sheng's character?

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

FightingFool
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Is Shaolin Temple meant to be a direct prequel to Five Shaolin Masters?

Hide contents

In Shaolin Temple Lung Wei is outed as a traitor, in Five Shaolin Masters he isn't and tricks Fu Sheng's character?

I suppose it`s as direct as possibly can be. CC and I Kuang had Ma Fu Yi trouble in script. They could have let him escape in ST..Surely not all in audience had seen 5 shaolin masters and they would have been wondering why traitor gets away without knowing he was already killed in movie made 2 years earlier. Mid 70`s vhs barely arrived would have likely been very hard for them to see 5SM...Imo scripters did right decision letting Ma Fu Yi die twice although it somewhat breaks continuity and have caused confusion..

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't know why some of you are expecting continuity between the various Shaolin Cycle films. That's looking for a virgin in a whorehouse. They are connected by themes, mythical figures and character types, but that's it. 

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 2