Are Korean 'Shapes' are they meant to be set in China?

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon
say what???????

Korean 'Shapes' like the stuff with Casanova Wong, Dragon Lee, Eagle Han ect films like REVENGE OF THE DRUNKEN MASTER, SHAOLIN DRUNK MONK, 7 STAR GRAND MANTIS, RIVALS OF THE SILVER FOX ect

What do you mean by 'shapes?' I think that is what is getting us...

I have always got the impression that many of those films are loosely translated, though, when hitting different audiences. They could easily be set in Korea when in Korean, China when dubbed into Cantonese, whatever was most popular when dubbed into English....

Omni Dragon
What do you mean by 'shapes?' I think that is what is getting us...

I thought everyone knew what 'Shapes' are by now?

basically it the traditional Kung Fu films that are more to traditional form look more dance when compared to the very rigid 'Basher'('Punch & Block') counter parts or maybe new wave. 'Shapes' look fluid like Kung Fu & 'Bashers' sort of a more rigid like Karate. 'Shapes' tend to have circular movement where as Basher tend to be more straight line. 'Shapes' where used in the very early days of Kung Fu Cinema but then in the 60's & early 70's it switched to 'Bashers' then in like 1973 you got BLOOD BROTHERS, BREAKOUT FROM OPPRESSION & of course the Chang Cheh's SHAOLIN TEMPLE series.

Here's a video that should help explain

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

Is any more info on 'Shapes' necessary?

I have always got the impression that many of those films are loosely translated, though, when hitting different audiences. They could easily be set in Korea when in Korean, China when dubbed into Cantonese, whatever was most popular when dubbed into English....

Your probably right.

IMO I think the answers is like are both meant to be in Korea & China depending on the film...some look like they are certainly set in Korea & some look like China & some look somewhere in-between.

Omni Dragon

IMO I think the answers is like are both meant to be in Korea & China depending on the film...some look like they are certainly set in Korea & some look like China & some look somewhere in-between.

Omni Dragon
Why shapes? That makes no sense at all.

What do you mean? What doesn't make sense?

Omni Dragon
Shapes style is definitely my favorite to watch. More exciting wouldn't you say? :smile

It just so happens that IMO at least 'Shapes' tend to be the better films in fact I out of any kind of film ? I know that a 'Shape' is going to be no less than OK I've only seen one 'Shape' I didn't like & I think that might have caught me on a bad day.

Though I don't think the style of Martial Arts matters too much it the over all film IMO.

I also like 'Bashers' there something about that cool that I can't think how to explain it guess there quite unique looking that said don't think I like it as much as 'Shapes' though. I quite like Bruce Lee style as it's more realist. 'New Wave' has some quite good films yet the shaky cam ruins. 'Swordplay' is quite though good into flying mode & supernatural which can be cool at times.

IMO 'Shapes' probably have the best story some people are probably thinking what 'Shapes' have very little story & they be right cos it that lack of plot that does give plots are boring or long. Plus the films are very similar in a good way so it like see more of what you already love :smile:smile:smile

The word shapes makes no sense; why apply that to a martial arts movie style? I've heard that style of choreography called rhythmic, two step (because they are like two step sparring forms), operatic (because they resemble opera style fighting, but I'm not sure I agree with that) and forms (again because they resemble two man sparring forms).

Omni Dragon

I think it cos the Long, deep stances generally big moves & more to form movements. I think you should speak Pete FLK or the guys who where in the 80's, 90's scene down in Brixton, south London cos that seem to be where the term is from plus those nicknames Pops, Beardy, Santa, Reardon, Double Phoenix, Shaking Eagle ect....

Yeah, it is European breakdancing slang from a few years ago... all the more reason not to apply it to 40 year old martial arts films from Asia!

Omni Dragon

"a few years ago" It was almost as long ago as the films lol the nicknames from people are no longer needed now cos they only used them in the first place foe the films that came Chinese with Eng subs & they couldn't read the credits.

Though terms like Bashers(Punch & Block) Shapes, New Wave helps you tell what kind of action is used, ruffle era film was made some ect without see the actually film.

Guest Anonymous

I don't understand this thread....I kind of get it. But is English your first language?

I never thought the word "shapes" meant a specific kind of fighting action. I just thought the Wu Tang Clan said that word on the back of their VHS boxes to sound cool and hip hop. I assumed shape pulling simply meant martial arts movements because the moves are in various stances and hand positions. It seems accurate.

I never heard of movies called bashers.

Also you can tell when a movie is set in Korea by the kinds of dresses the females wear. Silver Fox Rivals is actually set in Korea and you can tell because one female has the traditional Korean dress on. Also look at the hats guys will wear, the black Korean top hat things compared to the cone shaped hats.

Usually a movie will tell you what country it is set in. Some Korean films are set in China and talk about Kung Fu. But then in the old days Korea also did Kung Fu (Chuan Fa - Chinese fighting systems). Karate was developed way later in Okinawa and then spread to Japan and then Korea. Korea absorbed both Karate and Kung Fu into their martial arts styles.

Modern Korean martial arts since the 1900's can be said are based on mostly Japanese Karate and some Kung Fu from Manchuria area. Taekwondo is most like Karate but has a few Kung Fu influences on movements as well.

Anyway for me I prefer a mix of fluid kung fu and punch and kick stuff. As long as they are throwing tons of kicks and doing cool joint locks and strikes I like it.

Some kung fu films have boring and unrealistic stuff but I still like it anyway. I mean the stunt work and moves are just cool anyway and also a cool story helps.

And what you said about modern shaky camerawork I understand. I get so pissed at how movies constantly shake the entire camera over and over during fight scenes. Its stupid and is an excuse to hide poor techniques by non-martial arts actors who are not that great. But then again Liam Neeson was pretty badass in Taken 1-2, but less so in 3.

Secret Executioner
I don't understand this thread....I kind of get it. But is English your first language?

I never thought the word "shapes" meant a specific kind of fighting action. I just thought the Wu Tang Clan said that word on the back of their VHS boxes to sound cool and hip hop. I assumed shape pulling simply meant martial arts movements because the moves are in various stances and hand positions. It seems accurate.

I never heard of movies called bashers.

We could ask you the question, seeing how many letters you forget or add to words... :thinking

And yeah, clearly go questionning what somebody says when you're OBVIOUSLY clueless on what they're talking about, that's great too. :thinking

So let's get it straight: Shapes is a name for movies where you have crazy OTT techniques with as crazy a name (a lot of late 1970s independent movies fall in that category).

Bashers are more straight-forward and use more grounded and realistic action (no crazy techniques, just some straight up punching and kicking).

Guest Anonymous

We could ask you the question, seeing how many letters you forget or add to words... :thinking

And yeah, clearly go questionning what somebody says when you're OBVIOUSLY clueless on what they're talking about, that's great too. :thinking

So let's get it straight: Shapes is a name for movies where you have crazy OTT techniques with as crazy a name (a lot of late 1970s independent movies fall in that category).

Bashers are more straight-forward and use more grounded and realistic action (no crazy techniques, just some straight up punching and kicking).

Okay....

Archived