Korean Gunplay Movies

mark187

can anyone recommend some more South Korean titles, while not necessarily having to be gunplay oriented films, at least have some slick/classy gunplay similar to films like Shiri, A Bittersweet Life, The Good The Bad The Weird, The Man From Nowhere, A Better Tomorrow remake, and Hindsight? Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Interesting request, purely on the fact that it's so difficult to answer. Part of the reason Korean movies tend to be so violent is because of the countries very strict gun laws, trying to obtain a gun in Korea is extremely difficult. Most of their movies tend to reflect this, so instead of gun fights, you usually have characters going at each other with knives, hammers, axes, and generally anything else they can get their hands on.

Outside of the movies you've listed, I'm actually struggling to think of a single one which features enough gunplay to actually warrant recommending them on that factor alone....although basing them just on their merits as movies, I'd have no hesitation to recommend 'Secret Reunion', 'No Mercy', & 'I Saw the Devil'. In all three movies though you can count the number of shots fired on two hands (or even one for that matter).

Yeah, it is very hard to think of many Korean movies with gun play, the only other one I can think of is PUZZLE but even then, I don't really think it falls into the category of films you are referring to.

I'll go ahead and add The Thieves and The Berlin File to the list. just ordered A Company Man in addition to No Tears for the Dead, hopefully they'll deliver too! I had seen Kim Jee-Woon's 'I Saw the Devil' a while back, not a bad revenge thriller, but definitely not an action film. Kim's best film is still A Bittersweet Life!

Just saw The Berlin File the other day. Yeah, that's a good recommendation. I wasn't really into A Company Man though.

2009: Lost Memories might be a good one to check out.

A Company Man has lots of gun action.

2099 Lost Memories wasn't all that good. The video montage in the beginning showing an alternate future still under Japanese control and supposed historical events was the best part of the movie. Otherwise, it was pretty boring. The movie was a big deal at the time since it was a co-productions between a Korean and Japanese company.

For action and guns you might want to look into some military themed movie. Like Taeguki: The Brotherhood, 71: Into the Fire, And even thinking about war movies. Those are the only two that I remember worth mentioning out of recent movies I've seen.

As One Armed Boxer mentioned about the lack of guns in Korea. That is one reason I really have to suspend my belief big time whenever they put out a movie about people using all sorts of guns and what not. Gangsters going it each other with knives, bats is more realistic and likely in Korea.

One Armed Boxer
I wasn't really into A Company Man though.

A Company Man has lots of gun action.

I have to agree with ToryK that 'A Company Man' fell a long way short of its potential, mainly due to a shoddy script not really making the most of a pretty unique concept.

There's a dedicated thread here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18752

& I posted my own review of the movie here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/review-company-man-2012.html

For action and guns you might want to look into some military themed movie. Like Taeguki: The Brotherhood, 71: Into the Fire, And even thinking about war movies. Those are the only two that I remember worth mentioning out of recent movies I've seen.

The recently released movie 'No Tears for the Dead' features some pretty good gun action, particularly a mid-movie shootout which is one of the best action sequences I've seen put on film for a long time.

I posted a review of this one here -

http://www.cityonfire.com/no-tears-for-the-dead-2014-review/

Dedicated thread here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21618

No Tears for the Dead.

The Tube (2003) has one of the best gunfights ever filmed (IMO) - the airport shootout. The rest of the movie is not good, though

watched both No Tears for the Dead and A Company Man last month. the former did it for me (although not as good as The Man From Nowhere, and I expected more great action from the finale, but that middle scene was great) but the latter fell short (a couple cool parts tho). Tube I saw a long time ago, and like you said, it wasn't very good

Time to update the list, The Villainess was great! Two period pieces Assassination and The Age of Shadows were not bad. Hopefully the Korean remake of Drug War, Believer, can be added to the list, I’m gonna try finding the Blu-ray later today 

The Jin-Roh-Remake, Illang, also has some fantastic shootouts. It's director Kim Ji-woon just has a knack for action as seen in Bittersweet Life, The Last Stand and Age Of Shadows.

Archived