The Bedevilled (1975)

Guest Markgway

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess because Reiko Ike, Japanese Toei-Starlet of the Time, stars in it. but i see no mention of Toei in the Movie Credits (can't decipher the Chinese-only ones though)

Guest Markgway

The credits don't mention Toei. Neither does the Hong Kong poster.

From what I was able to gather Toei loaned out Reiko in exchange for the Japanese theatrical distribution rights. No mention of any production involvement though.

Watched this a while ago.

The Bedevilled (Hong Kong, 1975) [DVD] - 1.5/5

As the short lived Pinky Violence genre ran out of popularity in the mid 70s, Reiko Ike found herself looking for other work opportunities. She had small supporting roles in Toei's yakuza films, did one movie for Nikkatsu, and also found time to appear in this Hong Kong horror. Unfortunately it is just about the worst movie you could get with the Ike + Golden Harvest + HK Horror combination. Ike is an innocent wife raped by a sleazebag young master. The man is later found dead, with Ike missing and her husband getting the blame for it. Court drama and vengeful ghosts ensue. Ike looks great in Chinese clothes (and yes, she does get rid of them multiple times) but it's hard to get excited about the film. As a court drama it's boring, as horror it's just silly. It even end of an educational moral note. Do not expect anything shocking or sleazy.

Archived