Rock of Ages

daisho2004

OK I went to see this movie tonight and honestly I'm not really a musical movie kinda of Guy. With that said I can say that I really enjoyed this movie I mean if you love 80's Rock than your gonna love this movie. I know this is based on a Broadway show, and I kinda feel bad I didn't get to see it on Broadway now. The cast was great and Tom Cruise stole the movie.

Rock-Of-Ages-Movie-Giveaway.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Tom Cruse stars in it, he didn't have to steal the movie , he could have it. I just never have been able to stand him. I like 80's Rock, but he is like poision in any film he is in.

I dig the '80's rock (when drunk)

This looks terrible to me

I lothe Russell Brand

I dont hate on Cruise (MI:4 was great)

but Im glad u enjoyed it & dont feel robbed daisho! Nothing worse than submitting to something u normally wouldnt do, only to find out you should have stuck to your initial reaction

Call me when Dark Knight Rises and The Expendables 2 hit theaters....

Ill be calling everyone in the neighborhood!

Well, they'll know about it at least, like it or not :xd:

Like I said this movie might not be everyone's cup of Chinese Tea. But it really was a good movie and yes Tom Cruise was excellent! He played an 80's Rock God perfect, I was very surprised myself.

I can't watch anything with Russell Brand in it

@kingofkungfu2002: See I have to agree with you on that, but in all honesty he was made to play the part in this movie! He fit the 80's Burn Out Rock Guy to a T!

masterofoneinchpunch

Rock of Ages (2012: Adam Shankman) ** to **½/****

Do you ever go see a film because at the time it really was the only thing available that you had not seen? I do enjoy the experience of watching films that are not in my normal repertoire. I do like musicals, but I tend to prefer classic musicals over modern adaptations. I made sure I was early for this one so I could get to see a new Fandango and Pepsi commercial (which I do not even remember right now). Thank goodness there was the Magic Mike trailer. There was quite a motley crowd for this film with one guy who was a complete Doppelganger of Sue’s ex-boyfriend Brad in The Middle and yes some sang to the songs during the film. Luckily they stopped that early though.

Surprisingly I have seen several films directed by Adam Shankman: The Wedding Planner, The Pacifier, Cheaper By the Dozen 2, Bedtime Stories and a few TV shows he has done. There is nothing special and nothing horrid out of that bunch. I suppose if I had seen Hairspray I might have known more of what I was getting into with this film, though I had a pretty good idea by the trailers.

The supporting actors were so much more interesting than the two leads. The biggest issue I had with Diego Boneta in his first non-TV movie and especially Julianne Hough (Footloose) were their singing styles which did not fit the hair metal aesthetics of burnt out and strained vocals. Hough with her pop-sugary renditions of “Harden my Heart” and “Shadows of the Night” made me wince and constantly think of “why did they pick her for the role?” Boneta doing an overly clean version of Dee Snider’s “I Wanna Rock” showed his limitations as well. But add in their on and off again predictable and annoying relationship and what happens with their careers and you get a less than satisfactory story with the exception of Boneta as a boy-band member. That was funny and led to one of the funniest non-Cruise lines in the film.

But most of the supporting characters and especially Cruise’s (yes he does his own singing and decent at that) overindulgent Stacee Jaxx is perfect and the highlight of the film for me. Russell Brand fit perfect in his barclub gopher role as well as Paul Giamatti’s Paul Gill character which is tailor-fit for him. I thought the Whitmores (Bryan Cranston, Catherine Zeta-Jones) were underused and probably could have been removed from the movie. They were the perfunctory upper middle class couple that rebels against the “metal” club, though the two leads were perfunctory as well. I am still not sure what I think of Alec Baldwin’s performance.

Is anyone interested in seeing this or has seen this? I cannot recommend this, but I had an OK time with the film. Take Cruise and his monkey out of this and I would drop this film a half a star.

Random facts: Eli Roth directed the Z Boyeezz's music video in the film. There is nothing after the credits.

Archived