Once Upon A Time In Shanghai (2013)

AlbertV

Shaolin Patriot
I watched the Well Go USA Blu-Ray and while the color palette was there, I noticed the final fight was more colorful than the rest of the movie...been a while since I seen it. LOL

So, it seems Well Go colorized the film for digital release, as opposed to the monochromatic theatrical version. Looking forward to your Blu-Ray review with some screen shots.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/06/2012 at 5:17 PM, Reel Power Stunts said:

I like this "OUATIS" trailer simply because it shows Philip doing his stuff - and he is a very skilled genuine martial artist. Whether it truly reflects how the movie will turn out is another thing. I wouldn't be shocked if YWP didn't choreograph it...

So what exactly is Philip's MA background?

ShaOW!linDude
50 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

So what exactly is Philip's MA background?

According to his IMDb page, he's trained in Ving Tsun Kung Fu (I've never heard of this style), Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Taekwondo, Jiu-Jitsu, and Escrima.

5 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

According to his IMDb page, he's trained in Ving Tsun Kung Fu (I've never heard of this style), Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Taekwondo, Jiu-Jitsu, and Escrima.

Ving Tsun? Could that be a corruption of Wing Chun? I know "ts" has a "ch" sound.

Thanks. This is another one I'd like to see in the near future.

ShaOW!linDude
22 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Ving Tsun? Could that be a corruption of Wing Chun? I know "ts" has a "ch" sound.

Thanks. This is another one I'd like to see in the near future.

No always. It's often like saying the word tis but eliding over the i. Oh, or the way you pronounce tse-tse fly. Could very well be a different spelling of Wing Chun. Hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

I found this movie required an effort to get through. I thought the choreography, which is mostly grounded, was pretty standard. Nothing really wow-ed me about it. Glad I didn't spending anything on it. Netflix is my friend.

Isn't "Wing Chun" a trademark and its unauthorized use an infringement? I think that's why many martial arts schools use names like "Wing Tsun" or "Ving Tsun".

TibetanWhiteCrane

It's all Wing Chun. Wing Chun spelling is associated with Ip Man. Ip Man student Wong Shun Leung is associated with the Ving Tsun spelling and (supposed Ip Man student) Dr. Leung Ting is associated with the Wing Tsun spelling.... all the same shit. And when said in Chinese, no fucking diff.

Archived