Once Upon A Time In Shanghai (2013)

AlbertV

I have been extremely pumped for this movie.. But that full fight has left me with some questions. I hope that is a small teaser with much better things to come.. Looking forward to people's review

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice review. It's gotten me a little more excited for this one.

But the dude says Yuen Woo Ping plays one of the mob bosses. Does that mean we might actually get to see him fight? If that's the case, I'm definitely sold!

One Armed Boxer
Awesome review by Sean Tierney, the man behind the Silver Spleen

TWC already linked to this review in post #49, just 3 posts earlier.:tongue:

Well, this certainly sounds positive! Although he makes no mention of it being a Boxer From Shantung remake, and that's a review I'm wanting to see... someone who can compare the two films, as they both tell the tale of Ma Yong Zhen. Hell, even throw in Corey Yuen's Hero for good measure :tongue:

It's just a bit disappointing that this most likely won't have a US theatrical release, but I'm sure Well Go will snag the Blu-ray/DVD rights.

Despite disliking the colour palette and horrendous slow motion on display, I'm still excited for this.

That clip showed some real promise for the fight scenes and, is it just me, or was that a massive spoiler?

Eh. Movie seemed decent enough. That color sucked look sucked. B&W i'm fine with but practically b&w, ugly.

Action isn't memorable and I never once went back to look at something that happened once. What happened to the re-winder? Was a bit at the end with some sais and swords but as a whole, it's already forgotten. The wires are stupid. The cgi is stupid.

Luxia Jiang shouldn't even have been in this, because she practically isn't and she's friggin wasted. Where the hell is Tone Leung?

harsh.. I thought the end fight was really decent .. please give Philip ng some more leading roles the man is a talent

I seen this for sale in the chinese dvd/music store today for $3 and grabbed it straight away, got home put it on and it was the Monkey King (which I already have). talk about disapointment!

Drunken Monk

I'm still waiting for this one to get a DVD release but, in the meantime, here's the final fight (or final fights) from the film...

nCCNfMP5TII

While the film is way too dark, I actually like the choreography. Lots of weapons and powerful hits. Okay, so there's too much slow motion and they hop on the old chain punch band wagon but, otherwise, I'm excited to see the whole film.

FrankBolte

the movie in general is ok...just like a remake of the "shanghai story" with the axe gang etc. the movie had great potential but at some points became too cartoonish..all these sped up fighting scenes looked weird..good choreography nevertheless but why they had to speed em up like that ? weird....

Saw this a couple of weeks ago - just awful.

To be fair, the 2 main guys (I'm terrible with names and can't check as I'm at work!) were OK, and clearly skilled martial artists.

The fights were, when not over-cut, very good, to be fair but there simply wasn't enough of them.

In the end the film itself just drowns in bad soap opera sentimentality.

The older stars (Sammo and Chen Kuan Tai, especically) are thoroughly wasted, too.

And whoever decided to try and make it look like a sort of 1930-set Sin City needs to have a visit from Marv. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Aw damn...

the movie in general is ok...just like a remake of the "shanghai story" with the axe gang etc. the movie had great potential but at some points became too cartoonish..all these sped up fighting scenes looked weird..good choreography nevertheless but why they had to speed em up like that ? weird....

Saw this a couple of weeks ago - just awful.

To be fair, the 2 main guys (I'm terrible with names and can't check as I'm at work!) were OK, and clearly skilled martial artists.

The fights were, when not over-cut, very good, to be fair but there simply wasn't enough of them.

In the end the film itself just drowns in bad soap opera sentimentality.

The older stars (Sammo and Chen Kuan Tai, especically) are thoroughly wasted, too.

I've been looking forward to seeing this. But hearing the above from two guys who's opinions I value is certainly lowering my expectations. :squigglemouth:

And whoever decided to try and make it look like a sort of 1930-set Sin City needs to have a visit from Marv. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN SIN CITY?

Shaolin Patriot

Does anyone have information on a US or UK Blu-ray/DVD release? Universe Laser sounds like a bare-bones version.

Shaolin Patriot
What do you mean by bare bones version? No special features, or quality?

Bare-bones as in no special features. Universe usually doesn't offer much bonus content.

Just watched it.

Andy On and Phillip Ng are excellent but all that fancy camera work, cranking etc does my head in.

Still, it's a good flick with a big budget and most people on here will enjoy it. Plenty of weapons duels as well - sai, pole, double chucks, escrima you name it.

Good effort.

Archived