Once Upon A Time In Shanghai (2013)

AlbertV

Drunken Monk

I've wondered about this one myself. It seems that a lot of time has passed since the teaser trailer was released.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping this back up... looks like the date is now January 30th.

Oh well, if they take their time to actually make this more like Chang Cheh's Boxer From Shantung, and less like Corey Yuen's Hero, I'll be happy. The original film, as I'm sure you all would guess from my occasional ramblings in the Shaw Brothers section, is one of my favorites. Meanwhile, the '97 Hero just came across as a heaping pile of "meh."

I'm not overly impressed by this clip. It's fine, don't get me wrong, but I didn't enjoy the editing or the close ups.

It's miles better than a lot of modern stuff so I'm certainly interested in seeing the film but, considering the names involved, I wasn't blown away.

And is the whole film going to be in black and white or is this just a choice for these snippets?

looked like that fake trailer we first saw gave the impression there was going to be kung fu in this , looked like more ruffhouse modern day which is not a bad thing but still hope we get some kung fu in this one, did see some long exchanges in there...

odioustrident

A touch of CGI, a touch more wires than we need, some fast punching and no evidence of intricate exchanges or many new moves. We'll have to see how whole fight scenes come together to really judge this one I think. Philip Ng has an imperfectly dynamic kicking style that harkens back to basher days... kind of fun.

6mctp5g_-_I

Woo Ping. Keeps doing the same thing, the same way. This looks like Wen Zhou vs Andy On from True Legend. He doesn't have an idea for anything that means anything. Whats the point of having hits if they mean absolutely nothing. They each got hit what, 25-30 times? No one is getting hurt, or being slowed by getting hit. Not once, not the 19th time. Elbow me? Elbow you. Keep it moving. What's the point?

The full trailer is actually quite entertaining but that full length fight scene does nothing for me. It's ok, but nothing special.

I'm torn on whether to be excited for this one or not.

Archived