Once Upon A Time In Shanghai (2013)

AlbertV

Chow Yun-Fat and Sammo Hung are teaming up for this upcoming gangster film. Here's the lowdown from Twitch:

A pair of Hong Kong action icons will be pairing up for upcoming true crime film Once Upon A Time In Shanghai with word that Chow Yun Fat and Sammo Hung will be anchoring the cast.

Wong Jing will direct with Andrew Lau producing the film, the story based on the true life crime boss Du Yuesheng who built his crime empire through the 1920s and 30s in Shanghai and had close ties to Chiang Kai-shek.

Interestingly this is not Chow's first time tackling Du's life. The 1980's television series The Bund - the series that helped catapult him to stardom - also revolved around the crime lord, making this a homecoming of sorts for Chow.

Once Upon A Time In Shanghai will be exhibited in IMAX, so expect some big time spectacle.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teaser for the film starring Philip Ng and Sammo Hung, choreography by Yuen Woo Ping. Wong Ching Po is the director and it looks promising.

This is not to be confused with the other film called Once Upon A Time in Shanghai which also stars Sammo Hung and Chow Yun Fat!

MvXMolColkg&feature=player_embedded

One Armed Boxer

Did we just witness the modern day equivalent of the against a red background openings to all the classic martial arts movies of old? Good stuff, this does show promise...& I respect any movie which is willing to release a trailer with no actual movie footage, dialogue, or any indication of plot....just pure kung-fu.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Not sure what to make of this just yet. But Philip Ng is the fucking man! One of the few hopes left in the genre, who really should have been a bigger star by now. Good to see him headlining!

i thought it was the promo for the 3rd season of kung fu quest lets hope yuen woo ping keeps the kung grounded philip ng is hope.

Oh wow this looks good:xd: Keep the wires away and this looks like the 1st HK MA movie I've actually been looking forward to in a long time.:xd:

ShaOW!linDude

That trailer......is......killer!!!!!

I wholly agree with OAB's statements. Oh, I am so down for this. I hope Sammo's role is good, love to see some old school kung fu coming from him.

Looks great! I hadn't heard of this one, so thanks for putting up the video. Definately something to look forward to!

Doesn't look like a movie teaser. It looks like a commercial. Really hate how everything is undone before its even shown. Nt even done yet and their already showing BTS shots of a blip of footage. Its like they think people can't possibly be interested in something based on its own merits and needs BTS footage as the main means of promotion.

Its hard what to make of it just from that trailer but I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Reel Power Stunts
Doesn't look like a movie teaser. It looks like a commercial. Really hate how everything is undone before its even shown. Nt even done yet and their already showing BTS shots of a blip of footage. Its like they think people can't possibly be interested in something based on its own merits and needs BTS footage as the main means of promotion.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the main purpose of this trailer was for trade (as opposed to public) use. If a film has yet to be shot, or is nowhere near completion, teasers like this, along with behind the scenes snippets, are used at Cannes to try to drum up some presales or investment.

I remember "Naked Weapon" had a trailer specially shot for Cannes - ahead of principal photography, to try to sell some territories. Some snippets from it were incorporated into the finished movie.

I like this "OUATIS" trailer simply because it shows Philip doing his stuff - and he is a very skilled genuine martial artist. Whether it truly reflects how the movie will turn out is another thing. I wouldn't be shocked if YWP didn't choreograph it...

hopefully this turns out to be a teaser of how the martial arts will look. A proper, skilled and grounded martial arts movie from Hong Kong with talented individuals showing how things should be done. Personally I'd rather see this as a genuine display of what martial arts/kung fu will be in the movie, as opposed to a trailer showing very little.

Drunken Monk

If anybody's interested, here's a show reel of Philip Ng...

vwWruCkAuiI

Is "Dragon Squad" actually worth a watch? I own it but have always heard bad things. It looks alright from this clip.

ShaOW!linDude

Cool. Thanks for posting that, DM. I need to get Hands of the Dragon. That looks pretty good.

Dragon Squad is okay from what I remember. It's more action driven with a little MA toward the end. Been a while since I've seen it though. That fight of Sammo's isn't too bad.

Cool. Thanks for posting that, DM. I need to get Hands of the Dragon. That looks pretty good.

Dragon Squad is okay from what I remember. It's more action driven with a little MA toward the end. Been a while since I've seen it though. That fight of Sammo's isn't too bad.

Hands of the Dragon didn't fully get made. Midway through production, they lost the money and were unable to finish completion...sad.

Just read on Screen Daily that Andy On has joined the cast of Once Upon a Time in Shanghai. He is Philip's friend and current student as well.

ShaOW!linDude
Hands of the Dragon didn't fully get made. Midway through production, they lost the money and were unable to finish completion...sad.

Bah! Figures.

Dragon Squad with Maggie Q? As I recall that was a nightmare of fast cut editing.

ShaOW!linDude
Dragon Squad with Maggie Q? As I recall that was a nightmare of fast cut editing.

Yeah, see, it's been a while since I've watched it. It's not a film that obviously inspired a 2nd viewing as yet.:tongue:

Shaolin Patriot
Teaser for the film starring Philip Ng and Sammo Hung, choreography by Yuen Woo Ping. Wong Ching Po is the director and it looks promising.

This is not to be confused with the other film called Once Upon A Time in Shanghai which also stars Sammo Hung and Chow Yun Fat!

MvXMolColkg&feature=player_embedded

Has anyone heard of any updates on the film, in terms of a theatrical release date?

Archived