Poongsan (2011)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching this one, and much like 'Rough Cut, 'Poongsan' is directed by another of Kim Ki-duk's proteges, Juhn Jai-hong.

Starring Yoon Kye-sang as the nameless, and silent (he literally doesn't say a word!) protagonist, much like 'Enemy at the Dead End' (http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14537) 'Poongsan' is a gripping, tense movie which unfortunately unravels in the final quarter.

Thankfully what comes before allows it to just about get away with it, as Kye-sang's character goes about crossing the DMZ to deliver packages between families that are seperated from each other living in North & South Korea. Sometimes videos, sometimes keepsakes, and sometimes people. When he's hired to bring the partner of a North Korean politician who's under police protection in Seoul, an unspoken bond develops between them, and it's this unspoken love which the film hinges on.

While it may seem like a relationship formed between a character who doesn't speak and the girlfriend of a high-ranking politician while crossing over one of the most volatile and dangerous pieces of land in the world is an unlikely one, director Jai-hong pulls it off convincingly....culminating in one of the most intense first kisses I've probably ever seen committed to film, based on the desperation of the situation it happens it.

However Kye-sang ends up being double crossed by the same South Korean agents who sent him to bring the girl in the first place, and then gets the same treatment from the North Korean counterparts, which ultimately leads to everything going to hell and some good old fashioned Korean revenge being sought.

& that's where 'Poongsan' derails, as the movie has spent so much time focusing on the intensity of the relationship between the two central characters, the method of revenge which is carried out, which I won't spoil here, seems almost clumsy and ill handled in it's delivery. The movie thankfully pulls itself back on track with the final dramatic shot, enough for me to recommend to anyone who counts themself as a fan of Korean cinema, and as only his second movie Jai-hong shows a lot of promise as a future director.

0wEad6O7AA0

fullsizephoto173712.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got finished watching it, and I thought it was an excellent movie, I just wish it would've explained more on the background of the main character. And OAB your review was spot on!

One Armed Boxer
And OAB your review was spot on!

Thanks! I'll have to check out 'Beautiful' as well based on Biozombie's recommendation!

One Armed Boxer

Last week the Korean Culture Office here in Sydney showed 'Poongsan / 풍산개' as part of their Cinema on the Park weekly movie screening. I posted a more in-depth review than my previous comments from last year, so if anyone is interested please check it out here -

http://koreanfilmfestivalinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/review-poongsan-2011.html

Archived