The Martial Arts Thread

BaronK

Is there a purpose to the rigidity of karate? I've always wondered why it looks more solid and set in its ways than so many other martial arts.

I recall reading that the writer of the particular book I was reading said that the short stocky Okinawan farmers couldn't do the fluid movements of kung fu and modified them.

Kyokushin takes it to the next level and emphasizes direct hits and attacks.

Shorinji Kempo is more fluid than other Japanese martial arts as you advance and shows its kung fu roots.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats what I'm talkin about John thats all I wanted was a little feedback on it. I agree he does go on hella tangent (always does). I think he's borderline crazy. (huh ha borderline). There is no denying his knowledge as a trainer though the guy has many champions be them mma and bjj champs.

Visit his site. It is just as scatter brained as the vid.

Also, there has been a lot of drama regarding his school, students, and business practices.

Don't know if his knowledge as a trainer is as good as people think it is. Talent people flock to his school because of it's reputation. He pays for talented students to train and go to tournaments to win medals. This in return others promising students. He claims a lot of wins and awards and trophies. However, few have been verified.

I'm rather disappointed that so many martial arts teachers claim to be masters. And even use hokey titles such as supreme grand master. It goes against the spirit of martial arts and what some of them preach.

So, is Jeet June Do considered an actual martial art? I know very little about it and always thought it was more of a mentality towards combat.

Maybe some others can chime in on this because I've seen them advertise for teaching Jeet Kun Do. But it sort of goes against the things Bruce Lee talked about. He didn't stick to one particular style. He studies Wing Chun, then moved on to anything that would work. Like judo, wrestling, etc. He didn't blindly follow the notion his particular style was the best. He was willing to learn from other styles and find what worked.

However I always though the essence of Jeet Kun Do was take what works and discard the rest. From anything you come across. Don't get hung up on special moves, kicks, and forms. Find what works for you and move on.

Except for things that he wrote and drew. I didn't see a formalized program. Some of this was collected in the book Tao of Jeet Kun Do.

Secret Executioner

Today, I started "training" using a really nice book I found some time ago.

taokungfu_zps09f59a77.jpg

It explains a couple of taos from each of various styles such as Changquan (which seems to be a form of Shaolin boxing), Hung Gar, Northern Mantis (AKA Tang Lang Pai or Tong Long Moon) and Drunken fist (Zuijiuquan) - to name the styles I plan to work on (there must be about a dozen styles overall) - and the taos are described using text telling you what to do and illustrations showing what the moves should look like. Also, you get a backstory and details on the styles. Really cool book and I hope I'll be able to learn well from it

I think this is awesome. An example of how traditional Wing Chun can be truly effective in a combat situation.

I'm not sure how this fight came about but it's a full contact bout (no pads, gloves or head guards) between a Wing Chun student and a Karate student. And...well...it's quite amazing...

0j_Cnddke84

Enjoyed the footage of Sambo. The matches sort of remind me of the UFC fights minus the ring and better stag/flooring. The person cleaning up the blood after one of the matches reminded me of Bloodsport.

I wonder what type of kicks they teach if any. One of the fights, it looked like one those crazy Kyokushin windmill kicks.

Really liked the one with all the different takedowns.

Kicks and punches in sambo are your boxing, kickboxing type. There is straight sambo, which is strongly based in judo and russian wrestling. It has those judo throws but uses more strength and power as opposed to the purer technique of J judo. It is also very heavily based on leg, ankle and foot locks.

Combat sambo is the one with the punches and kicks. It was patterned for the military. Both have competitions but there is no gear needed for straight sambo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(martial_art)

Sambo:

Combat sambo:

Read up on Sambo before so I knew about the origins. Every time I have to give a quick description of what Sambo is. I usually tell them it is the Russian national sport that is a mix of judo and wrestling.

Besides watching Fedor fight, I haven't watch much sambo videos. The Kyokushin style kick one of the guys did made me wonder what type of kicks they teach and it was one of them. Sort of like Wing Chun having kicks but some instructors telling their students not to kick too high because it is a waste of energy.

Lots of Russians in my area but strangely no Sambo schools.

CLF:

dPUInM5c5vU

wg9VV790eaI

i7L2Lgm2i00

Pak Mei:

KjdYOOwcQHM

Weapons:

779ByibiQaA

vn-9nWzLJWc

3vzXBDRDEyw

m0B1KbJzZFM

Monkey/Wing Chun blend:

kUCyUsPt7pk

Vietnam MA:

brElCuZaqGg

cJddD4YHs4s

ouJq7uDy1do

Burma MA - Lai Tai:

r1Yb5LTYSFg

Karate - Kyokushin:

vbiQTKvCutE

cAtyoFGAGRI

vIDezzjHeVk

SwDvEyNUQL0

Hop Gar/Hap Gar:

e4S_iKP19lY

NdVMcg87GIU

Hung Gar:

2g4CZxQ5gz0

T9BlnFDEcrQ

IgqLaIBRSDM

Ecduc1tWer0

Fujian White Crane:

PF63ZflWFVU

JKD:

GrjDun55q-w

17RvOEAG7z0

Kali:

EGTXj5G2_sc

Karate:

oRcplemxE_U

DjFVu88EJIY

fTWciJZw6rI

LNWeZFj6xqg

Drunken Monk

The guy in the second JKD video had some serious speed but I wanted to see him throwing those chain punches against a bag or some pads.

It's all good and well being able to throw a million punches in a second but are they effective as far as strength is concerned? Do they feel like being slapped a bunch of times or are they concussive and powerful?

With that said, he's exceptionally talented. I was really impressed.

Hung Gar:

v5bD9f49awQ

Y_h1QtvBPRo

TKD:

qChmDTuVcVY

Karate:

bIJTmDc8NMs

v5rbGNckXdQ

U3nTw9Ns7dk

Archived