The Martial Arts Thread

BaronK

Hi KFC! I realize alot of you are actual martial arts practicioners. I am interested in learning myself, but I have a few questions.

1. What is the best way of choosing a place to learn, obviously I want to learn from the most capable masters, how do I research each? For instance, if I were interested in TaeKwanDo, there is probably 10 different places I could learn within 5 miles of me.

2. Is it smart to learn more than 1 art at a time??

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes, Im interested in Wing Chun, Eskrima, and karate (not sure of which style) I live somewhat close to Bud Thompsons academy and hope to sit in on a class very soon. On the other hand there is a guy a few hundred feet away from me who teaches northern Praying Mantis and a few other northern styles, but I really want to learn Wing Chun, and also be good with a stick or knife.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my experience.

1. Go to a trial class (or trial classes depending on any offers the school may have), try the style out, get a feeling for that atmosphere. If it's for you, it'll feel right.

2. Stick with learning one art until you have a decent foundation. If you feel that the arts you want to learn are different enough that you'll be able to separate them (i.e. not mix them up or confuse them) go ahead and learn both. Of course, make sure you've got time to practice it all! :smile:

All subjective though, listen to the advice of others here and just do what you feel.

The greatest difficulty in various arts is their base. If you want to get the basis of an art, watch the feet, footwork. Some stand tall and rigid. Some base hard low for power. 45 degree, 90 degree, back foot weight, front foot weight. All plays a difference.

Okinawan karate styles are hard, body styles. Karate and WC have different punch philosophies. WC and FMA can be mixed as some of the drills are similar and the footwork can be foregone and replaced by the FMA triangle footwork. That said, FMAs have really sound hand work that use many punches and punch angles that WC doesn't believe in.

TKD is easy. It's not a self defense art, so you really can mcdojo that.

Learning more than one at a time can be difficult if the philosophies are very different. Footwork, hard blocks, circular blocks, parries, head movement, no head movement, no kicks, punches, ripping, chokes, etc. You can be learning on Monday with art one, what will be undone on Tuesday by art two. WC and JKD are similar and not the same. TKD and Kyokushin are not the same. Lightning Scientific Arnis and Doce Pares are not the same FMA philosophy.

FMAs are the different ones. Unlike other MAs, they start with the stick, knife, then to hands.

Yes, go sit in on a class or 2 or 4. Try to get a feel of the art and the teaching style, as well as how the class flows.

Thank you both! That was helpful. I have sat in one or two classes, a lot of times I dont see very much intensity, and that kind of was a turn off, am I asking too much?? I am also concerned with being somewhat older, is there an art that may be easier for someone not very flexible?

1. What is the best way of choosing a place to learn, obviously I want to learn from the most capable masters, how do I research each? For instance, if I were interested in TaeKwanDo, there is probably 10 different places I could learn within 5 miles of me.

If the discipline has a competitive element, then their record is one useful way to measure success. Other indicators are found within the training environment itself; is it clean? Are there showers? How do people behave towards each other and their teacher? If something seems "off", it may well be.

There is a culture of misappropriating culture, where students are tense, training is stiff, and teachers inflated; there are varying degrees of formality possible training, but people shouldn't be so preoccupied with particulars that they should overshadow training. People can be exhausted, they can be competitive, and they might get injured, but it should never be abusive. However difficult, training should ultimately be fun and productive.

Conceptually, yes. Cross-training is productive in that it takes you outside of your comfort zone and develops new areas; for something like MMA, it's essential. However, cross-training can come at the expense of other training, and without any prior training to act as a "base", you may find that cross-training this early comes at too great a cost to every discipline involved.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes, Im interested in Wing Chun, Eskrima, and karate (not sure of which style) I live somewhat close to Bud Thompsons academy and hope to sit in on a class very soon. On the other hand there is a guy a few hundred feet away from me who teaches northern Praying Mantis and a few other northern styles, but I really want to learn Wing Chun, and also be good with a stick or knife.

If you know for a fact that Wing Chun is what you want and everything else is a sideshow, then maybe your energy should go into finding an exemplary Wing Chun teacher (keyword: teacher. Teaching is a skill independant from Wing Chun-ing...Wing-ing it?).

If the discipline has a competitive element, then their record is one useful way to measure success. Other indicators are found within the training environment itself; is it clean? Are there showers? How do people behave towards each other and their teacher? If something seems "off", it may well be.

There is a culture of misappropriating culture, where students are tense, training is stiff, and teachers inflated; there are varying degrees of formality possible training, but people shouldn't be so preoccupied with particulars that they should overshadow training. People can be exhausted, they can be competitive, and they might get injured, but it should never be abusive. However difficult, training should ultimately be fun and productive.

Conceptually, yes. Cross-training is productive in that it takes you outside of your comfort zone and develops new areas; for something like MMA, it's essential. However, cross-training can come at the expense of other training, and without any prior training to act as a "base", you may find that cross-training this early comes at too great a cost to every discipline involved.

If you know for a fact that Wing Chun is what you want and everything else is a sideshow, then maybe your energy should go into finding an exemplary Wing Chun teacher (keyword: teacher. Teaching is a skill independant from Wing Chun-ing...Wing-ing it?).

Wow John thank you. After I wrote that first question, I thought about what the answers could be and figured out I may have prejudged. The inflated teacher thing never crossed my mind, but is something I know I will not care to deal with, so again thanks a bunch for your input.

Yes, Im sure I want to learn Wing Chun, thing is Im sure Im also interested in stick and knife FMA.

Depends of situation. If you have school/daywork you might find going to train 5-6 times/week too much and get tired&bored after 1st excitement is gone and give up all eventually. Human body needs time to recover. You might want have social life too. Start with 1 and later if it fits your schedule you may pick another.

Depends of situation. If you have school/daywork you might find going to train 5-6 times/week too much and get tired&bored after 1st excitement is gone and give up all eventually. Human body needs time to recover. You might want have social life too. Start with 1 and later if it fits your schedule you may pick another.

Thanks TexKiller,

Actually Ive decided to stick to FMA, .. stick to FMA, thats a good one:wink: .. but I figured I couldve been trying to do too much also.:angel:

RogueWarrior
Pole Forms:

Hung Gar

I was there that day and performed right after this. Look hard and you will find it. But I used a spear.

Cool EH?

RogueWarrior
Hi KFC! I realize alot of you are actual martial arts practicioners. I am interested in learning myself, but I have a few questions.

Good indication of the teachers skills is to look at his students. Beginners will be beginners. But if his advance students are lacking, well you can figure out the rest.

Thank you for posting these Baron K! I especially like the FMA clips, keep them coming:bigsmile:

Archived