The Martial Arts Thread

BaronK

Here is an example of the SPM, SWC and karate connection.

The footwork, dynamic tension, the hands all connect at some time or another during forms. Also, you can see the sliding steps and turns in both Bak Mei and SPM work.

Here are SPM, WC and SWC doing sticky hands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHdqOxvsp0

You aren't hijacking anything. If you have something to show, show it. Something to say, say it. Discuss, bring whatever you want to the table. This isn't my thread, it's a thread about martial arts.

When you mentioned your style, I looked it up. It was confusing at first but I'll explain that later.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should have I used 'Lung Ying Mor Kiu' instead? Only because sometimes I've mentioned/searched for Lung Ying before and it occasionally brings up mention of other systems with (for example) 'dragon style palm' forms etc.

JxTdnUI9DxM

Don't be fooled by the title. He doesn't even hardly talk about jiu jitsu. He drops mad knowledge really though 30 mins is a bit long it is still really educational specially for martial arts fans. The topic of discussion is of styles what is really the best. It isn't just one style or mma or anything like that. Tellin ya just check it out.

JxTdnUI9DxM

Don't be fooled by the title. He doesn't even hardly talk about jiu jitsu. He drops mad knowledge really though 30 mins is a bit long it is still really educational specially for martial arts fans. The topic of discussion is of styles what is really the best. It isn't just one style or mma or anything like that. Tellin ya just check it out.

This guy begins the discussion saying we have to make a decision between truth and reality or being a brainwashed groupie. So if I disagree with anything he says my brain has been oxyclean-ed? Holy holier-than-thou, Batman!

Every martial arts style is good at what it was it was created for.

Absolutely not! Anyone with an imagination can devise something and call it a martial art. Even if we ignore the people who are trying to outright scam other people with whatever they can cobble together from books and videos, it's not like there haven't been martial arts styles or schools that just leave a great deal to be desired; in fact, it's easier than ever to get away with bullshit because people have less and less to do with conflict. If you're a delusional buffoon that can swing a stick and found the Mantis Stick Jutsu school, what do you want, a %$&*ing cracker?

To be fair, if a martial arts style exists in any sort of capacity that isn't someone's mom's basement, then it probably has a reason for existing that is not *that* moronic. But even if its genesis was martially accomplished, that doesn't entail that its current form is viable. All in all, sweeping, blanket statements like this are not very useful; maybe if you wring out the pomposity something like "consider the context of a martial art" could be recovered.

People in military at war rode horses, had swords, daggers, and machetes, and people had to find a way to get up and get those soldiers off of those horses. So they created high kicks to kick soldiers off of horses.

:sad:

This is just pure and utter bullshit, first brewed to my knowledge in the cellars of ulta-nationalistic Koreans who, disappointed with the history they're supposedly so proud of, have taken it upon themselves to revise it to their liking.

Exhibit a) Inertia. Get someone on a horse or the next best thing to gallop towards you about 25mph. Jump kick them. Jump kick them off a platform if you have to. Just don't sue me when you break your leg.

Exhibit B) The guy on the horse. He's wearing about ~40lbs of armour. He's got some long, sharp, pointy things, and some short, sharp, pointy things. Even if you manage to not get skewered/dismembered/kicked by a horse on your way up top, you're probably not going to knock him off. Then even if you do, you still have an armed, armoured opponent ready to fillet your cheeky self.

Exhibit B) History. The most recent pre-WWII Korean dynasty looked down their noses at warring as work that was dirty and not becoming of a true gentleman, as per their particular Confucian ideology. There was no Tae-kwon-do before the Japanese invaded. There was virtually no indigenous martial discipline whatsoever besides archery, according to Muyedobotongji , until Koreans of that age (18th century?') imported various Chinese arts for their military. Some people bring up Taekkyon, but it is a sport, perhaps a martial sport, and to my knowledge has not been integrated into armed conflict, much less drop-kicking cavalry. Which makes sense; feudal war =/= soccer riot.

Why is this relevant, you might ask? Surely, SURELY, there were other leaping asians? And there sure were. Except this whole jump-kick thing is a rather modern invention in-and-of itself. It began with a prominent Shotokan-ryu Karatedo practicioner, Gigo Funakoshi. Son of the art's founder, Gigo was also a proficient Kendoka, and the latter had a decisive influence on the Shotokan-ryu, the low-stances and long range attacks being key in the development of longer range kicks with higher targets. This, friends, is more or less the beginning of the crazy flying-foot action of Hong Kong cinema, as imported from Koreans, whom originally received the Tang Soo Do of the post-war from Japanese Karatedo.

Anyone with even a cursory understanding of mounted warfare will hopefully have an empty bladder before collapsing in the hilarity that is the very IDEA of kicking someone off a horse. It's just desperation on the part of historical revisionists. Don't buy into it; no academics outside of Korea do.

"There's no question if you're going to be locked in a cage with a referee...jiujitsu is good for that."

Except BJJ wasn't developed for the cage. See my earlier post in this thread RE Judo/BJJ history; the cage is a more recent phenomenon, and BJJ people can choke you in a variety of locations. Referee sold separately. He should know that!

In any event, at the core of what he's saying I am agreed. It's plain to see that there's an industry in capitalizing on people's fears and marketing whatever as the solution to their problems. But I think he does a real disservice to his message with some of the snippets he says here and there. In one breath, "If you use Jiu-jitsu, you're probably going to die"; in another "my SAMBO and my Qin Na helped me [with my home invasion]". Maybe he outta write this stuff out before he speaks about what is ostensibly a very crucial topic. I think somewhere in the quagmire of verbage there was some concession along the lines of "sure, outside of its context, everything is subject to having its weaknesses exploited". But it also follows that inside of a suitable context, an art can be very effective. Moreover, that context isn't necessarily a ring or a feudal battlefield, even if such contexts did indeed inspire the origin of an art. Stuff that works in a ring can work outside of a ring and vice versa; that shouldn't be hard to concede. BJJ might not be the solution when you are faced with mutliple attackers, but uh, what is? Nike-fu?

Not every violent episode is a home invasion or gang warfare. Sometimes, a crazy person has a knife, or somebody is beating their girlfriend, or someone is molesting you. If such encounters have escalated and force is necessary, there might not be a crowd of homies trying to curb stomp you, but that doesn't mean the onlookers are rushing to your aid, either. In fact, people gawking at obscene violence in the bright of day is a phenomena of group psychology. You can take people to the ground in such instances.

Finally: "I'm not disrspecting any martial art/group", "please don't say I'm disrespecting any martial arts group, because I am not.", and my favourite "I'm immune to criticism".

You can say you're not disrespecting something all you like; it doesn't mitigate whether or not you actually have done so. In this case, I'm inclined to say that I'm a bit disappointed that someone who claims a lot of authority based on decades of experience has parroted some really stupid nonsense about kicking people off horses, but that's not disrespect per se. It's just sad. All the same, his intentions seem to be good, but he misspeaks like a speak 'n spell on a bender. How do the words "I am immune to criticism" even leave your mouth after you have JUST TOLD US you like to learn from everybody? Is that only if they don't hurt your feelings?

If only there was a martial art for fighting people on high horses, yeesh.

Thats what I'm talkin about John thats all I wanted was a little feedback on it. I agree he does go on hella tangent (always does). I think he's borderline crazy. (huh ha borderline). There is no denying his knowledge as a trainer though the guy has many champions be them mma and bjj champs.

"Should have I used 'Lung Ying Mor Kiu' instead? Only because sometimes I've mentioned/searched for Lung Ying before and it occasionally brings up mention of other systems with (for example) 'dragon style"

That was it there. I was getting a lot of dragon stuff. Hung Ga, etc. I did find these though:

These don't have Mor Kiu so correct me if they are not the same style

Interesting style. Yes a bit like Pak Mei. Another "inside", center style as opposed to a wide style like CLF. I see the neck strikes and pushes. Hammer fist heavy as well. Brings its hammer strikes from a shorter distance and angle than say, Chow Gar does. Footwork is of the sliding, climbing variety with a lead leg staying very much lead. Its a forward, aggressive, attack base style I gather from the clips

"Should have I used 'Lung Ying Mor Kiu' instead? Only because sometimes I've mentioned/searched for Lung Ying before and it occasionally brings up mention of other systems with (for example) 'dragon style"

That was it there. I was getting a lot of dragon stuff. Hung Ga, etc. I did find these though:

These don't have Mor Kiu so correct me if they are not the same style

Interesting style. Yes a bit like Pak Mei. Another "inside", center style as opposed to a wide style like CLF. I see the neck strikes and pushes. Hammer fist heavy as well. Brings its hammer strikes from a shorter distance and angle than say, Chow Gar does. Footwork is of the sliding, climbing variety with a lead leg staying very much lead. Its a forward, aggressive, attack base style I gather from the clips

Thought so. Those latter two videos are LYMK. I'm not sure what lineage he is from though. Generally if someone is from a mainland lineage their movements are a bit wider than Hong Kong lineages. That's what I was told.

You've got a good eye. Very good points there.

Drunken Monk

Is there a purpose to the rigidity of karate? I've always wondered why it looks more solid and set in its ways than so many other martial arts.

Omni Dragon
Is there a purpose to the rigidity of karate? I've always wondered why it looks more solid and set in its ways than so many other martial arts.

"Like an an iron bar whack"

Sitting it Seiza all day makes you rigid :tongue:

OK jokes over I don't the true an answer but could it be do with Japanese culture of the time being very formal, rigid, exacting & precise?

"Like an an iron bar whack"

Sitting it Seiza all day makes you rigid :tongue:

OK jokes over I don't the true an answer but could it be do with Japanese culture of the time being very formal, rigid, exacting & precise?

There is actually sort of a militaristic flavour to some Japanese karate schools for exactly that reason, but it manifests more in the character of the practitioners than their body mechanics. I don't know a lot about Karate, but the Southern Chinese connection with Okinawan schools is pretty obvious, and there was much exchange well into the early 20th century (e.g. Goju Ryu).

So, is Jeet June Do considered an actual martial art? I know very little about it and always thought it was more of a mentality towards combat.

So, is Jeet June Do considered an actual martial art? I know very little about it and always thought it was more of a mentality towards combat.

I wonder what you define as "martial" art. Martial is in reference to Mars, a god of war, yet most things we'd call "martial arts" have little to nothing to do with actually warring. In the parlance of our times it's just a term to describe an institution of fighting methods. So by most peoples' reckoning, JKD is an MA.

Archived