The Martial Arts Thread

BaronK

This is where I'll put various videos of various martial arts. Discuss or not.

Silat, sport and non sport. Similarities to san shou here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjC32EY0gm0&feature=related

San shou

Lam Brothers Hung Ga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XF9mzwbh40&feature=related

James Sinclair Teaching Wing Chun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKPUW6qFeR8&feature=related

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

The more I see of Silat, the more I am impressed. Even in a sport capacity, the takedowns and techniques seem really solid.

Omni Dragon
The more I see of Silat, the more I am impressed. Even in a sport capacity, the takedowns and techniques seem really solid.

sqgUu0xnqzQ

This dude is one of my favourites on youtube. His choy lee fut is excellent. He has many great vids:

Drunken Monk
This dude is one of my favourites on youtube. His choy lee fut is excellent. He has many great vids:

That video also has the hilarious, obligatory "Bruce Lee did this..." comment on it...

Actully, When Bruce Lee recorded " Big Boss" some thaiboxers came and challenged him, and he wooped there ass with wing chun.

Hahaha.

Fun fact: The dichotomy between Judo and Jujutsu is at least conceptually a rather arbitrary one. Although Jigoro Kano's style eventually embraced the term "Judo", the term did not originate with him (see Kito Ryu) and for some time they were interchangeable among early Judoka. This is why Judo's Brazillian cousin retains the "Jiu-Jitsu" term; it just caught on there before "Judo" did.

Later after WWII, the marine and hoplologist Donn F. Draeger published groundbreaking literature on Japanese martial arts both modern and classical. It was with Draeger that the Jutsu/Do dichotomy was over-emphasized as one of combative vs. sportive and classical vs. modern, which is not entirely accurate. In fact, the term Jujutsu itself is relatively new and doesn't apply to every classical school of grappling; the Butokuden, a pre-war martial institution similar to today's Budokan, actually struggled to find a term to classify grappling arts, and eventually settled on Aikido (this was back when Morihei Ueshiba taught Aikibudo).

Although in today's common parlance Jujutsu may be used in reference to older schools of grappling, the nomenclature particular to any given school is not without significance (e.g. kogusoku denotes a configuration of armour and indicates an approach that considers such equipment). Further, old schools (i.e. schools founded in the pre-Meiji eras) are informed by the structure and pedagogy of the fine arts schools that preceded the formalized martial arts phenomenon in Japan. Part of this can be found in their titles, which traditionally use the suffix "-Ryu" (e.g. Shosho Ryu). Opposite of these arts are the modern (aka Gendai) schools, including Judo, BJJ, and various Goshin Jutsu (self defense) schools. The latter in particular can be cause for confusion, as such systems may be known as "Japanese" or "traditional" Jujutsu when in fact most are derived from Judo, Aikido, and other Gendai Budo and are distinct to classical arts.

best docu on Hung Gar Kuen

possibly the oldest recording of the 8 diagram pole set

Lau Kar Leungs father Lau Jaam

another great docu on Hung Gar with engl. subs

Keysi has some cool concepts that may really work in actual combat. Though I cant say because I haven't tried em out yet. Alot of people hate on Keysi though and complain about its use in the Batman movies.

Thanks for the Bak Mei, it's kind of close to the style I currently study so I'm always interested to see more of it.

Drunken Monk
Thanks for the Bak Mei, it's kind of close to the style I currently study so I'm always interested to see more of it.

It seems such a bizarre martial art...almost ugly. I'd love to see it applied to a combat situation.

It seems such a bizarre martial art...almost ugly. I'd love to see it applied to a combat situation.

I guess that's what makes it seem so in your face. From what I've been told, it's very direct. To say the least.

Well by looking at it, you can see a lot of upper body strikes, neck strikes, chokes and straight pushes and pushes off of center. It appears to favor the centerline in its attacks but doesn't use the WC punch style.

It has that Hakka base to it. WC, Southern Mantis, Southern White Crane all have heavy similarities. Stance, footwork, blocks, the arm grabs. Isshin-Ryu has heavy White Crane similarities.

Pak-Bak Mei Applications

Well by looking at it, you can see a lot of upper body strikes, neck strikes, chokes and straight pushes and pushes off of center. It appears to favor the centerline in its attacks but doesn't use the WC punch style.

It has that Hakka base to it. WC, Southern Mantis, Southern White Crane all have heavy similarities. Stance, footwork, blocks, the arm grabs. Isshin-Ryu has heavy White Crane similarities.

Pak-Bak Mei Applications

You're right.

I'm not sure that I'd say WC and White Crane have Hakka bases (not that you were specifically saying that). There are bound to be similarities with them all being Southern styles.

Bak Mei, Lung Ying and Southern Praying Mantis are the three main (or at least the most well known) Hakka styles, I believe.

Lung Ying and Bak Mei do both use the horizontal fist. Bak Mei tends to favour the phoenix eye punch, resulting in quicker strikes. Lung Ying uses regular fists (from my experience), which results in heavier strikes.

Both have their merits. The movements are similar, but from memory the Bak Mei style of power generation is completely different so similar techniques are applied differently.

I can't say too much about SPM because I know little of it.

Anyway, don't mean to go off in tangents, and/or hijack the thread. I'll try to find some good videos for it.

I'm still a beginner (in LY) though but in saying that I think I can spot well performed martial arts when I see it.

Archived