Deadman Wonderland 1st season on Adult Swim

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

I've been watching this every Saturday on Adult Swim. Fantastic series so far. Has Funimation released the DVD's yet? I wasn't sure if they have or not, it seems strange to premier a series on T.V before the DVD's are even out in North America.

Edit: Just watched the new episode, it's insane how good this series is. I can tell that it is heavily edited for T.V, as even this version is pretty graphic in it's violence (The obstacle course for the prisoners was nuts). I have got to get this set A.S.A.P. I have not encountered an anime with this far out of a storyline in quite some time.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its by far the most violent I have ever seen on Toonami. My girl and I watch it every saturday. She wont watch it straight through on youtube becase its all subtitled so I gotta wait every week to see what happens next.

oneskyforall

I just checked out the 1st episode on Funimation's youtube.

Seems pretty awesome I am hooked into the story already, I am about to start the 2nd episode now haha.

I watched the 13 episodes of Elfen Lied yesterday so I think I am prepared for any gore that will come my way :smile:

oneskyforall

Also... Is Adult Swim showing the uncut version or the version on the Funimation Youtube account?

So many scenes are blacked out/darkened/over brightened in the Funimation episodes to the point you can't even tell what is going on in the violent parts.

I just rewatched an episode on an anime site and it is so much better actually being able to see everything happening instead of a dark mess on the screen.

BlackLamaFaction

The adult swim version is certainly edited but not as bad as the Funimation site. For example on the adult swim version you can see the Red Man holding Genta's girlfriends decapitated head in his hands, whereas on the Funimation site this was mostly darkened out and cropped. From what I'm hearing the uncut original version of this series could not be shown on T.V or on most websites. It is definitely intended for mature audiences. I still can't find any info on Funimations site as to whether this series has been released uncut on DVD. The article I read said "Funimation bringing Deadman Wonderland to DVD in North America in 2012" but no other info. Everything I found on the web is Japanese release only.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, my curiosity is piqued. I love good animation. I've been looking for the equivalent of Ninja Scroll in a anime series but have yet to find it.

What's the premise of the show?

I get that it's violent and graphic but how well is the action depicted?

Any MA in it?

Okay, my curiosity is piqued. I love good animation. I've been looking for the equivalent of Ninja Scroll in a anime series but have yet to find it.

Any MA in it?

Not like a Ninja Scroll at all bro. The show starts out like this. Youngster is at school and this red being if you will appears and kills his classmates. He gets sent to this prison. It has "shows" with the inmates that enertain an audience. The inmates actually die in these "shows" or games. The prison is set up with these shows to entertain the outside world. Hence the title Deadman Wonderland. Of course its got all its dramtic elements. His friend that I thought no one could see who is hot for a cartoon and wears a bodysuit and mittens. His cellie who I think is only out for himself. I dont wanna give anymore of it away, but thats what the show consist of. Rated M for Brutal violence and langauge. No martial arts.

BlackLamaFaction

Any MA in it?

Have you seen Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls? It's the best Ninja anime series I have ever seen as far as drawing and action, I put it right up there with Ninja Scroll. Sword of the Stranger was a really good newer Chanbara anime film. Shigurui: Death Frenzy was a great series, regrettably only one season and it fails to resolve the story (you have to buy the manga for that) but otherwise amazingly drawn and depicted action.

The premise of Deadman Wonderland is basically how So High described it. There is action, not martial arts, more fantasy powers kind of stuff. Here is the plot summary given by the Deadman Wonderland wiki if anyone is interested:

A massive earthquake ravaged Japan's mainland and destroyed most of Tokyo, sinking three-quarters of the city into the ocean. Ten years later, the story shifts to Igarashi Ganta, a seemingly ordinary student attending Nagano Prefecture's middle school. As an escapee, a survivor of the great earthquake, Ganta has no memories of the tragedy and has lived a normal life. This all changes when a strange person covered in blood and crimson armor floats through his classroom windows. Grinning madly, the Red Man massacres Ganta's entire class but instead of killing him, embeds a red crystal shard in Ganta's chest. Within days of the massacre, Ganta is declared the sole suspect. Following a quick trial, Ganta is sentenced to death and is incarcerated in Deadman Wonderland, a massive theme park like prison.

Arriving at the prison, Ganta is fitted with a special collar which monitors his location and life signs. Due to the heinous nature of Ganta's 'crime', he has to live out his imprisonment under Deadman Wonderland's 'Death Sentence'. A lethal poison is constantly injected into his bloodstream through the collar, but it can be neutralized by consuming a peculiar candy-like medicine every three days, which can be acquired through various activities in the prison, i.e. performing for audiences, working backstage, purchasing with cast points, etc. In order to gather Cast Points, the prison's currency, an inmate has to perform in the facility's lethal games and survive. Fortunately for Ganta, he is aided by a mysterious girl named Shiro, who apparently knows Ganta, and is known by other prisoners as well.

While trying to survive as an inmate on death row, Ganta becomes increasingly obsessed with the 'Red Man' and tries to find him so he could clear his name. In a bizarre twist, Ganta begins to develop the ability to manipulate his own blood, to the point of turning it into a weapon. Unbeknownst to him, Ganta has become one of the prison's 'Deadmen', a segregated group of prisoners possessing the Branches of Sin which makes them capable of controlling their blood. After his ability is discovered, Ganta is forced to participate in brutal gladiatorial death matches, known as Carnival Corpse, whose anonymous spectators pay large amounts of money to watch. In his struggle he manages to befriend some of those he fought off in the arena, and with their help Ganta continues his quest to uncover the identity of the Red Man, why he turned into a Deadman and the dark secrets the prison authorities are hiding.

ShaOW!linDude
Have you seen Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls? It's the best Ninja anime series I have ever seen as far as drawing and action, I put it right up there with Ninja Scroll. Sword of the Stranger was a really good newer Chanbara anime film. Shigurui: Death Frenzy was a great series, regrettably only one season and it fails to resolve the story (you have to buy the manga for that) but otherwise amazingly drawn and depicted action.

I've not seen any of those though I've heard of the first 2 and been tempted many times to pick SOTS. If the 3rd is an unresolved tv series, I'll pass, and that's a shame.

Not like a Ninja Scroll at all bro........No martial arts.

Hmm, I guess I should have clarified myself. My bad. I really didn't mean like NS-type characters and story line. I meant in animation style and quality.

No MA....bogus, but okay.

It sounds pretty interesting. I've already searched it out and set the dvr to catch this Saturday's ep.

I love Sword of the Stranger I just watched it the other night again.I would love to see that made into a real movie.

Below is the link yto Amazon.com and the video & review for Shigurui - Death Frenzy

I will say it does sound really good, and I like to read what the other viewers had to say about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shigurui-Frenzy-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B0049TC8A8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

@BLF: Its not listed as Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls only as Basilisk I added them to my Netflix queue.

BlackLamaFaction

You should definitely check it out Daisho, I'm pretty sure you would really like it. The Kouga Ninja Scrolls is the name of the Manga. It's also the name of the Futaro Yamada novel that the Manga is named after, so it's like an alternate title. I included the full name because I thought it would make it easier to find for anyone who was interested. It was actually suggested to me a long time ago on this forum by another member named Pressure when I asked a similar question about anime similar to Ninja Scroll. I watched it and thought it was actually better than Ninja Scroll in a lot of ways. The whole series is basically a war between the Iga and Kouga ninja clans. The two clans 10 best ninja fight each other with the surviving side determining the next Shogun. Each of the ten best ninja from both sides have special ninja skills and they are all insane skills. Like I said, it's the best Ninja anime I have ever seen. The blu ray set is on Amazon for 24.99 I think.

oneskyforall
The adult swim version is certainly edited but not as bad as the Funimation site. For example on the adult swim version you can see the Red Man holding Genta's girlfriends decapitated head in his hands, whereas on the Funimation site this was mostly darkened out and cropped. From what I'm hearing the uncut original version of this series could not be shown on T.V or on most websites. It is definitely intended for mature audiences. I still can't find any info on Funimations site as to whether this series has been released uncut on DVD. The article I read said "Funimation bringing Deadman Wonderland to DVD in North America in 2012" but no other info. Everything I found on the web is Japanese release only.

Ah okay that's good, the Funimation site has about... 75% of the action blackened out lol it is not really even worth watching. Good to know Adult Swim is a little better.

I hope this is released on DVD uncut, I may pick it up! I just started reading the manga because I am too lazy to watch the episodes, I like my stories to move quickly :tongue:

ShaOW!linDude

Well, I watched Saturday's ep (#4). The animation looked pretty cool but I just didn't get into the story. I'll watch this Saturday's as well to see if it generates any further interest.

oneskyforall

So I just finished reading all 51 chapters of the manga and I can say this is one of the best mangas I have ever read.

The thing that sucks is the author is pregnant and put the manga on "indefinite hiatus" due to her pregnancy.

I really hope she has the baby and finishes the story. It left off at such a cliff hanger :sad:

Archived